Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Are there any forensic scientists on here?
  • dustypumpkins

Currently writing my 4th year dissertation on subpopulations and DNA profiling and I’m very bored.

Jamie
    Free Member

…and finding other forensic scientists will reduce your boredom? How exactly? 😉

dustypumpkins

By avoiding writing the dissertation I guess.
    Maybe they will want to write it for me! Who knows…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Oh DNA profiling now that’s a great controversial topic that lots on here will start ranting about soon “big brother is watching you ” ….arrgghhhh

Sorry I’m not a forensic scientist! But crack on with that dissertation before you have to do the whole cramming thing and flunk that 1st spectacularly 😉 as you spent too much time on this forum!!!

j_me
    Free Member

No but I do watch silent witness.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I used to work for the Forensic Science Service a few years ago.

Second most boring job ive ever had, after the plastic moulding factory making raw plugs while I was at uni.

I spent 6months at the FSS scanning barcodes on DNA samples. That and regularly going in to a -20 freezer to recover said DNA samples.

Not my idea of excitement….

Stoner
    Free Member

bit of a gamble of a degree to go for there.

Wasn’t there something like 1,700 first year forensic science undergrads in 2008…and about 1,800 forensic scientist in the country? And even the most employers prefer pure scientists over forensic scientist….

dustypumpkins

And now the FSS is going down the pan – fantastic.

It’s about statistical issues with allele frequencies when populations are subdivided so unlikely to start a debate on here. It’s due next Thursday, might have to block access to all bike related websites.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Second most boring job ive ever had, after the plastic moulding factory making raw plugs while I was at uni.

So boring you lost the will to correctly spell “rawlplug”? 🙂

It’s about statistical issues with allele frequencies when populations are subdivided so unlikely to start a debate on here.

Do you not visit here often? It’s full of people unable to make a qualified judgement on anything making judgements on everything 🙂

dustypumpkins

It’s full of people unable to make a qualified judgement on anything making judgements on everything

And you think I’m qualified to make judgements on the issue of subpops? Not a chance lol

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

bit of a gamble of a degree to go for there.

Leggyblonde’s sister did a degree in forensic science I believe. She now designs very nice cycling garments for ladies.

So the gamble obviously paid.

dustypumpkins

There’s 13 of us left in 4th year, started off with about 30. It is becoming more popular.
    Very few jobs in FS at the moment and with the FSS going it’s not a good time to be graduating. Just as well I don’t plan on going into forensic science then eh? Waste of time at uni? Nah.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Are there any forensic scientists on here?’ is closed to new replies.