Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)
  • Are there any brands you'd think twice about buying?
  • Wozza
    Free Member

Fox Forks, even if the price was halved I just wouldn't do it.

Anything RaceFace that's designed to rotate.

Hope brakes, good for a year and then it's a battle to keep them alive.

Surprised to see Marzocchi in this thread!

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

i would as long as i live never ever buy superstar sh*t ever again pads that last one ride and when i asked about sending them back it was surggested that i hadn't fitted them right lol iam a mech engineer with 20years of working on forklifts or plant machinery oh and ive got a 2:1 in mech engineering so up yours superstar 👿

nonk
    Free Member

Anything RaceFace that's designed to rotate

lol it true.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

SSC fit the bill perfectly, I've had my fingers burnt buying some kit from there despite damning reviews and then finding that the reviews were spot on. But I still get sucked in by the odd deal on the website.

catnash
    Free Member

Howies for me, feel nauseous when I read their 'we canoe to work after a goat cheese sandwich'

Kuco

Won't buy
    RaceFace but i think thats more to do with shit service from Silverfish.
    Marzocchi last 3 forks i've had has had problems.
    Hope brakes.

tootin

Seriously what are some of you people talking about, Saladdodger how are Giant cheap and nasty. Wozza surely fox forks are great :¬(

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

There will always be brands that I shy away from due to irrational adverse associations.

I find brands which have huge budget ranges or associations hard to take seriously, my memories of loads of kids at my school with £200 giant ATBs in the 90s makes it hard for me to take Giant seriously or lust after.

Bit of Top gear esque snobbery really like when Vauxhall try and make sports cars and Jezza et al take the piss.

tails
    Free Member

I have never used crank bros or and spd pedal but I'm surprised they are mentioned so much as I thought that egg beater pedal was the market leader in spd's.

Also giant bikes WHAT they are surely one of the best big suppliers of quality bikes covering all disciplines in the world, and I heard the customer service is superb.

Coyote
    Free Member

I'd think twice about Truvativ cranks after the last set I owned (ISIS) developed an annoying habit of falling off (non-drive side) at the most inconvenient time.

Avid brakes. Great when they work but VERY high maintenance.

ElVino

Fox clothing (I'm too old)
    Marin – not that old!

Aidan
    Free Member

Crank Bros again, their pedals bearings are terrible and they had the audacity to claim that the first generation were "maintenance free". Then the second generation had grease-ports. Hmm.

Gore clothing, because I don't have a money tree in my garden.

For bike brands, I wouldn't buy a Giant as they made the second worst handling mtb that I've ever ridden. Or a Trek for no good reason.

I may be cutting my nose off to spite my face, but I wouldn't buy a Santa Cruz thanks to a certain group of riders who were all kitted out with them and acted like tossers.

Turns out, I'm more angry than I thought I was…

khegs
    Free Member

Can only think of 3.
    SRAM gears, not because of anything they've done, I'm sure it is great, I'd just use the equivalent Shimano kit instead, but conversely, if at all possible I'll use a (is it a or an?) SRAM chain over a shimano one.

Ellsworth, because the owner is a thieving cock

steve_b77
    Free Member

Continental Tyres – just don't work

Erm, thats about it

brant
    Free Member

I thought the about turn by many people on here when Madison/Saracen showed the new Kili and Ariel was quite funny 😉

anlegov
    Free Member

What is so bad about Ellsworth's owner?

chakaping
    Free Member

Kona because of the shocking design/vfm combo.

Cannondales have just never appealed to me aesthetically.

Marzocchi because of their shocking reputation.

Ditto Crank brothers.

Amos
    Free Member

MARIN I forgot MARIN I hate MARIN!

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY!!!

Maybe I need help? I loved them in the late 80's early 90's

westkipper
    Free Member

Trek, very good bikes, but their associations with Lance, George W and one or two others puts me right off.
    As a company, they also had a habit of buying up smaller, more innovative firms and damaging their image. Icon,bontrager, Rolf, Lemond( Gary Fisher seems to be doing OK though)
    More than the rest though THEY KILLED KLEIN!!! ,THE BAS****S!!! 👿

Gruenermoench
    Free Member

Race Face – their bearings are shite, so is their customer service.
    Extralite – one of their seatposts nearly killed me when the seatclamp sheared off whilst doing 40 plus down the side of a mountain.
    Anything out of the XACD factory (Airborne etc). – because its bound to break.
    SPECIALIZED – For stealing other peoples ideas.
    LYNSKEY – Don't like the way they are trying to own the custom titanium market.

tails
    Free Member

yeah what did the ellsworth owner do?

Speshpaul

Ran
    "2pure – Member
    Crank Bros- i've never had anything from them , but i was talking them at MM in the summer a about 30 secs in to their reply i was thinking "tossers". I say them that was CB's distributors.

care to shed any light on that speshpaul? "

Yeap more than happy to sure.
    Buy the time MM came round i had basically all of my new bike ready to build except for a headset. I quite fancied a CB Cobalt XC, quite a bit of cash, i liked the look of it but i wanted to touch one before i parted with my cash. My LBS would order one, but if i didn't like it in the flesh, i'd feel obliged or they would be stuck with it.
    So there is your stand at MM, i wondered over and asked if you had there i could look at?
    The reply i got back was basically that you didn't sell headsets to the public because you are all idiots and would trash both the frame and the headset when we tried "bodge" them in!
    Although there is probably some truth in that, i didn't ask to buy i asked to look! Failed the 1st test, not listening.
    1st impressions and all that.

mikey3
    Free Member

A bit worried to see hope brakes mentioned a few times,just bought a second hand bike with hope m4,s,why are they so bad,what should i be looking out for.I always thought hope stuff was good quality(never had any hope stuff before mind you!)

rolfharris
    Free Member

Sram- just not a fan of the feel.
    Crankbrothers- I like bearings that last.
    Hope- unreliable stuff with poor brake lever feel.

Superstar- the most unpleasant, rude, decietful, unreasonable, lieing little man in the entire bicycle industry pedalling taiwanese toss.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mikey – hope brakes seem to be love or hate. I have nothing but praise for them myself. some folk seem to find difficulty with them – others not. IMO easy to fix if they go wrong which again IME is rare. all parts available easily if you do need them.

I am not sure if there are " friday afternoon" sets out there or if it is user error. Personally they are the only brakes I would use. Pads last thousands of miles and lots of power – single finger braking to lock wheels.

Other folks experience seems to be totally opposite to mine.

I have six sets bought secondhand, used by me for years – one caliper rebuild and one master cylinder rebuild – neither of which was difficult to do.

Speshpaul

Blimey i'm going to have agree with TJ on the hope one.

mooman
    Free Member

Crankbrother pedals.
    Fox forks.
    garmin toys.
    Any niche 29er/SS brand .. as irratating as the sorts that ride them…

tomzo
    Free Member

fatsimon mk2 – Member
    i would as long as i live never ever buy superstar sh*t ever again pads that last one ride and when i asked about sending them back it was surggested that i hadn't fitted them right lol iam a mech engineer with 20years of working on forklifts or plant machinery oh and ive got a 2:1 in mech engineering so up yours superstar

What part of your degree required you to fit disc pads to a mtb?

snaps
    Free Member

+1 for the Hope brakes – I've done 10s of thousands of miles with them since my first C2s back in 1997 (I think) currently running Mono M4s Mono minis & V2s – all work fine & the pads (only ever use genuine Hope or EBC) last ages even in the Alps.

sputnik
    Free Member

SCOTT bikes for me. Don't know why, but just never ever liked the brand.

thomthumb
    Free Member

cannondale; because they are ridden by fascistic types

superstar – plonker- shit components

661 gloves; last all of 10 minutes

hope brakes – to many kneecap smashing bolts

truvative/sram/bontrager chainsets – preload and sealing is rubbish bb's last all of about 3 months.

crank brothers – apparantly the pumps are good but the pedals are shocking; everyone who has them talks about maintenence and rebuilds; fine but shimano last forever.

Smee
    Free Member

SRAM and Avid – pish.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Scott- skinny 9 stone kid bro had a frame crack at the swingarm pivot weld, just out of warranty (the last 6 months being in a riding-free foot-and-mouth epidemic) and they told him where to go. Had some Scott spd shoes that fell to pieces quickly too. Wont touch a scott product again.

Trek, though I like the Remedy Ive always seen them as a souless megabrand (dont have an issue with Giant or Spec though…). Gary Fisher as I've never liked any of their bikes and hate the "inventor of MTBing" shctick.

Marin as I've never figured out what the point of them was. Fugly full sussers whos Mondeo like popularity drowned the market of individuality for a while, and worthy but forgetable hardtails overshadowed marketing-wise by the farm-gate full sussers. Not particularly rational but hey.

SSC purely on reputation here.

Continental after they seemed to stop putting rubber on the sidewalls and my XC's split after a few rides, many years ago.

I'm actually a bit conservative and loyal as a consumer, Ive always loved Konas but will happily admit that their spec/value balance plunged about 10 years ago, and they lost all small manufacturer nichey value when they went to halfords, and will always look at Camelbak as hydration pack of choice having been served well by them (still use my 1998 Havoc as my main riding pack). Only wear Giro lids etc.

noteeth
    Free Member

Cosmic Trail. 8)

(Only Local Motion framepads for me…)

tails
    Free Member

mikey3 – I'm one of the hope brake haters and have spoke to TJ on the forum before about this, for me I have no complaints about build quality, the pads do last, they look smart if thats your thing.

My problems were, they didn't feel strong, which for me I want to stop on a coin. The rotors warped something rotten, every month I'd spend a hour with washers trying to centre the rotor and the squalled like you wouldn't believe. Also pad change was a faff in comparison to magura or shimano saint, whose systems are very simple so a little unfair perhaps.

Hopes floating rotors are on the other hand amazing, comparing saint power to mono mini power is not really fair although I have run some giant MPH brakes that were better than the hopes.

Anyway I wouldn't worry if they are not right for you just flog them and by some shimano.

khegs
    Free Member

@tails, anlegov

Remember when Turner's were 4-bar bikes with a linkage system that the turner guy pretty much came up with? Not the horst link, that was the Nicolai guy.

When Turners changed to use faux-bar, that was essentially because Tony Ellsworth thought "Hmm, nice design, I think I'll patent it", then started trying to charge Turner (and others) to use his own design.

Blatant IP theft, but unfortunately unless you are a huge corporation you aren't going to have the funds to fight it, as the US patent system is horrendously ballsed up.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tails – have yo seen teh hope video on how to centre pistons? – it really is a revelation. You only need do the washers once – to centre the caliper on the rotor. then you centre the pistons in the calipeer according to hopes instructions.

Horse for course – mine have plenty of power but there is a much softer lever feel than other brakes and less initial bite – Thats very much a like or not thing. if yours were short on power something was wrong.

khegs – the US patent is unenforceable in Europe however on the horst link = simply because it had been done before.

mike_check
    Free Member

haha! good to see Kona, Marzocchi and DMR in here! I own a Kona with Bombers, and a DMR Sidekick with Kona P2's 😆

From previous experiences I'd never buy Manitou or Rockshox, though I imagine RS have improved since my last set since everyone seems to rate them again now.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Trek/Gary Fisher/Specialized – irrational and non-evidence based dislike.

Bell Helmets – (IME) Crap fit and fall to bits easily.

I once had a SSC bottom bracket for a couple of weeks………………

Conti Explorers – *shudders*

Garish anodised anything! Some folk weren't around in the 90's??

mikey3
    Free Member

Cheers tails i,m quite happy to see how they go ,i,m not to hard on my brakes usually but as the bike i,ve just bought is the last bike i,m ever going to buy i,d like to know the stuff on is going to last(apart from the things that are going to wear out with use of course).
    The bike i,ve just bought second hand is a cove hustler and the way it rides i can,t see me ever wanting/needing another bike,rides like a dream.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘Are there any brands you'd think twice about buying?’ is closed to new replies.