Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 134 total)
  • Are there any brands you'd think twice about buying?
  • swoosh
    Free Member

Talking bike related brands here. Are there any brands that you would think twice about buying but probably still buy if it was the right product at the right price?

For me they'd include:
    Raleigh (but not Diamondback cos I like them so wouldn't think twice)
    Saracen
    On-One (but only cos they're so popular)
    Boardman
    Carrera

That's probably it for me. Now for yours…

jedi

fox, i'll never buy a fox product

wombat

Any particular reason for your choices?

Mister-P
    Free Member

I am surprised the forum favourite wasn't the first name mentioned!

nickc

Kona. Frames may be nice but the level of kit for the price they are is shocking. Ellsworth, mostly because the company seems to be run by a cock. Charge seem like nice bikes, but their advertising gets on my nerves. Bionicon, just 'cos they don't look right…(there's loads of manufacturers that fall into that category though )

There's probably loads…

postierich
    Free Member

U.S.E shockingly bad service when things go wrong

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

As above except for the onone. Would'nt touch ssc.

BlingBling
    Free Member

SSC
    On-One
    Ragely
    Hope
    Pace

BigDummy
    Free Member

Are there any brands that you would think twice about buying but probably still buy if it was the right product at the right price?

This seems to imply that there are some brands you will buy without a second thought regardless of whether the product is right and regardless of the price.

I may have just discovered why my expenditure is less than my income. 🙂

Speshpaul

Gary Fisher – why- well i've never seen anything of his that i like.
    SSC- attitude.
    Pace -would have to come up with something very special now for me give them any money. Attitude again really.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

wouldnt go near (due to experience)….

cane creek for headsets
    manitou for forks
    endura for shorts & gloves

swoosh
    Free Member

BigDummy – good point, wasn't suggesting I'd buy anything just because of the brand, was more trying to find out if there are some brands that people have a stigma about but are still able to overlook that stigma in the name of having the right product.

Amos
    Free Member

Trek
    Specialized
    Gary Fisher

Coz I'm a f@%king snob no other reason really, in fact I like the look of the latest Trek bikes I'm just a to$$er….

MrAgreeable

endura

Good call, but sadly their stuff so often seems to hit the function, availability and pricing I'm after, that I just cave in and shell out another forty quid for more of their glued-together rubbish.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Boardman – cant get past the name or the Halfords connection. Stupid I know, and I've never read a bad review or heard anyone say anything negative about them…

uplink
    Free Member

Crank Bros

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Orange Bikes – I wouldn't have one of their 'fine' products if it were given to me.

Over-priced, poorly-built tosh.

There are far better built and cheaper alternatives if you want a simple single pivot.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Crank Bros good call.

Typical form over function design.

snaps
    Free Member

Cannondale – probably because I remember 3 frame failures in the same race in 92 & one guy loosing his front teeth as a result!
    Any product distributed by Silver fish – worst customer service I've ever known.
    Topeak – didn't return my phone calls or email enquiries about sets of HID lights.
    SSC – although I've had 2 different BBs off the octo, his posts on here have put me off further purchases

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Crank Bros & X-Lite components.

ton

orange, industrial tractor build, with cheaper and lower value parts each year…
    recreation quality wheels on a fr frame…….do me a favour… 🙄

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Crank Bros.

Speshpaul

Crank Bros- i've never had anything from them , but i was talking them at MM in the summer a about 30 secs in to their reply i was thinking "tossers". I say them that was CB's distributors.

Olly
    Free Member

i wouldnt even think once about buying anything from dmr.
    does that count?

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Shockwave. 😕
    Orange – pretentious overpriced tosh. Oh, hang on, doesn't that apply to most of the "niche" brands?

[Edit] Doh, misread the title. I wouldn't think once about buying any of these and would never consider buying. Maybe we need to start a separate thread?]

tails
    Free Member

no one really comes to mind I'm not a fan of hope brakes but like there other kit. Wouldn't use dave hinde bikes again 2 weeks for some wheels and i hear i was a lucky one, not keen on billys bikes and richardsons cycles ain't the best.

swoosh
    Free Member

that counts olly.

Crank Bros is a very good call. It'd have to be seriously good value for me to try them. I had a few sets of their egg beaters only cos they were free!! put me off anything they do that contains bearings as they died in about 3 weeks and i'm normally really light on bearings. head many an FSA headset and never had to service them once in years!

Olly
    Free Member

actually, yeah, theres one.
    Hope brakes

while im very opinonated, and wouldnt even consider once, crank bros, DMR and a few others, i would think twice about hope.

pretty
    feel nice on a static bike.

never had anything nice to say about anything ive USED thats younger than C2s though

Speshpaul

You only buy stuff off DH as a form of punishment.
    "Now son spend £50 at Dave Hindes as your penance, and wear boxing gloves in bed for 2 weeks"

njee20
    Free Member

Titus, after I had no end of problems with a Racer-X, mainly related to their distributor at the time being rubbish. Shame, it was a nice bike until then!

neil853
    Free Member

Orange
    Pace
    Maverick 👿
    Marzocchi
    Ragley Frames (hopefully brants new seatpost will hit the mark?) 😉
    Gary fisher/Trek
    Saracen
    Kona
    Crank bros pedals

these are just some of the products i've ownde that have been poor products and i've had poor service from. If i think about ot they'll be loads more.

Bregante

Race Face clothing 😯

Never again. I have had two Aquanot jackets (one replacing the faulty first one). Shocking quality. Not waterproof and the zips all disintegrated within a couple of rides. Also had a pair of shorts that literally fell apart. Just my experience but never again!

emac65
    Free Member

No, I'll buy anything if the price is right….

ajantom

Crank Bros is a very good call. It'd have to be seriously good value for me to try them. I had a few sets of their egg beaters only cos they were free!! put me off anything they do that contains bearings as they died in about 3 weeks and i'm normally really light on bearings

In defence of CB, I think their products are ok – I've had 2 sets of their pedals, and both have lasted ages (well they're still going) ………………. BUT I did open them up when i first got them and the bearings were dry, so I packed them with grease before riding, and I redo this on a regular basis. I think most of the problems people have with them are down to low or nil maintenance.

Anyway, here's some stuff i wouldn't buy………
    Bionicon – looks and rides nice (mate has one) but too much to go wrong IMO.
    X-Lite – back in the 90's I bent 3 sets of handlebars in a row. Customer service was top-notch, but the products weren't up to it. Actually are they still going? 😕

julianwilson
    Free Member

Nike, and the 'like Nike but more Rad' Nke 6.0. Blegh.

And sorry Cove, lovely bikes (a few mates have one or other of them) but I just cannot have a bike with a rude word on it. Imagine me turning up to work with my vulnerable/upset/abused teenagers on a handjob or a stiffee…

2pure
    Free Member

Crank Bros- i've never had anything from them , but i was talking them at MM in the summer a about 30 secs in to their reply i was thinking "tossers". I say them that was CB's distributors.

care to shed any light on that speshpaul?

Bimbler
    Free Member

Specialized – don't know why, just never liked them (since the 80's)

salad_dodger

Crank Bros – I like my pedals to last more than one ride.
    Ragley – Not a fan of the owner and his internet groupies.
    Giant bikes – cheap & nasty.
    Not a brand, but I avoid Bristol LBS's at all costs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Can I say it? Pleeeeeze – oh go on

superstar components – about the only company I would never use

BoardinBob

SSC.

Regardless of price, his tactics are shocking

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘Are there any brands you'd think twice about buying?’ is closed to new replies.