Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Are there any 26" rigid single speed complete bikes out there?
  • BruceWee

I was thinking about something like an On One Inbred or a pace RC 104. I checked their websites but neither one is offering complete bikes anymore.

I found a few frames (dialled love/hate and surly 1×1) but I really want a whole bike.

I seem to remember a few years ago they were everywhere. What happened?

Duffer
    Free Member

Buying all the parts and building it yourself is half the fun!

What’s the budget? Also, why specifically 26″? Shirley you want the best package, regardless of the wheelsize…

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

There are two in my shed.

BruceWee

Buying all the parts and building it yourself is half the fun!

What’s the budget? Also, why specifically 26″? Shirley you want the best package, regardless of the wheelsize…

I want a bike to leave at my parents for when I come to visit. This trip I’ll only be there for a week and I want something to ride straight away. Also, I’ll have the bare minimum of tools there and I hate having to get bike shops to do anything so a complete bike is a must.

26″ because I’m 5’6″ and I like 26″ (actually, I put a 24″ rear wheel on one bike because it felt too big with a 26″).

Budget is up to £500 but preferably less.

Incidently, if anyone does have any of the following for sale in a small size I’m interested, especially if you live round about the central belt of Scotland:

Surly 1×1
    Dialled love/hate
    SC chameleon
    On One Inbred or 456 (did they make the 456 with horizontal drop outs?)
    DMR Trailstar
    Transition TransAM
    Genisis IO
    Kona Unit 26″
    Pace RC104

(Gears and suspension optional)

shifter
    Free Member

There’s a Cannondale you could add to your list, Trail SL something.

shifter
    Free Member

As you were, it’s 29″.

Nice though:

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m looking to sell my Genesis io frame if that is any use to you

qwerty
    Free Member

Vitus on CRC

wwaswas

The waybackmachine says you need to go to 2005;

http://web.archive.org/web/20050205021235/http://on-one.co.uk/products/completebikes.html

although £700 for a rigid single speed with V Brakes shows what good value bikes are now…

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I had similar problems about 2 years ago, wanted a 26 ss but no one was offering them anymore as 29 was the wheel size manufacturers were offering. I eventually bought a Kinesis decade virsa frame, brilliant bike with sliding dropouts, so ran it ss/alfine and now its 1×10.
    I think secondhand is the best way with your budget, plus if you want to run a ss tensioner then most hardtail frames will suit.

alexpalacefan

Don’t Decathlon sell one? Less than £100 too 🙂

APF

mos

I know it’s not a 26er but as an example, i bought one of these;

http://www.merlincycles.com/beone-crd-race-alloy-29er-mountain-bike-65309.html.

I then flogged the boat anchor forks, the tyres & gears. Bought some on one monocoque carbon forks, furious fred tyres & a single speed kit. So now i have a brand new XL SS 29er which weighs 22lb and has cost me less than £500.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its a shame you’re not a couple of inches taller. I’m 5’8″ and am toying with the idea of moving on my Curtis S1. Its a 17″ I think, mint condition (its been sat on the turbo trainer since xmas!), Renthal bars, Thomson stem, SDG post/seat, Middleburn UNOs, DMR/WI/Mavic wheels, Salsa Cromotos etc. Doesn’t have any brakes at the minute but I’d let it go for £500ovno without them… Quite fancy a cross bike to do some longer range trail scoping missions/commuting etc on.

BruceWee

Think I might take a chance with this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sunn-modular-s2-hardtail-bike/rp-prod115617

Once the gears are knackered then you can change the dropouts for singlespeed. The main problem with that plan is that I can’t find replacement dropouts anywhere and with Sunn going bust I can’t see there being many in the future.

Shouldn’t be too difficult to get some made though, I would imagine.

Vitus on CRC

I saw that. It’s definately an option although it would probably benefit from a brake and tyre upgrade. Surprised it’s only listed as a hybrid/commuter bike as it looks like it’ll be more than strong enough to handle the trails.

Sunn going bust was news to me. Makes me feel a bit sad.

weeble
    Free Member

I’m looking to sell my 853 inbred in your size and well within your budget email me if your interested

40mpg

I’m also looking to sell my 853 inbred in your size if your interested 😀

BruceWee

Any idea of delivery cost to Glasgow?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I have some wheels.

Sold my Genesis IO frame a while back, but still have quite a few bits and pieces off it.

If they’re of interest, drop me a line at pimpmasterjazz at yahoo dot com.

dazh

Cotic simple on ebay now…..

Not mine by the way.

takisawa2

I’m sure On-One could do something couldn’t they…

jackthedog
    Free Member

thepodge – Member
    I’m looking to sell my Genesis io frame if that is any use to you

Is that just frame alone, or with forks? How much you looking for?

mattsccm
    Free Member

I was going to say that I would sell you my IO as well. Complete bike.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

FWIW singlespeed builds are pretty easy so you probably wouldn’t need to involve a bike shop. I built my Surly 1×1 for around £300 from a 2nd hand frame/forks and a mix of bits I had in the shed and ebay bargains. Took a couple of hours tops and I’m hamfisted on the tools. It’s still my favourite bike.

If you do want a complete bike and aren’t stuck on a steel frame, then this looks fun and would give you money to spare for a brake and chunky tyre upgrade…they have a 16″ in stock too:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-bikes-dee-1-26-city-bike-2014/rp-prod80998

Edit> Review of the V brake model here: http://road.cc/content/review/37756-vitus-vee-1

weeble
    Free Member

Can post for £25

burko73

That cotic simple has been on eBay for ages iirc.

thepodge
    Free Member

Jack, I cant find your email address

brassneck

I thought CHarge still did one? (if you want new, I like my ss beaten to within an inch of its life)

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Are there any 26" rigid single speed complete bikes out there?’ is closed to new replies.