Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Are the Performing Rights Society out of step or…
  • Stoner
    Free Member

… are google just tubthumping?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7935833.stm

Id be more inclined to think the latter were it not for the fact that Pandora had to up-sticks and pack up from UK audiences as well as LastFM wading in. Just tried Spotify for the first time the other night and, wow, what a killer piece of kit. I wonder if it too will come under threat from PRS pricing.

PRS need to wake up before their market is completely overrun with high quality illegal alternatives…or not?

grumm
    Free Member

The PRS are twunts – they make out like they are fighting for the rights of ‘artists’ but the vast majority of the money they collect goes to crappy major label rubbish like Robbie Williams or Elton John. They are pissing in the wind imo.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

whole haeartedlty agree, the rules for DJ’ing are even sillier (and as far as i’m aware, largely ignored by most DJ’s)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BigDummy
    Free Member

I don’t really understand this stuff. But it does seem as though the “music industry” comes in for a lot of stick for failing to “move with the times” when the big thing that seems to have changed in the last few years is that people want to have music to listen to without paying for it, whereas previosuly they were willing to pay.

If bakers were harangued for failing to adapt to the fact that I preferred my bread if I stole it rather than buying it the world would definitely have gone mad.

Spotify sounds to be exactly what I want though, so it would be nice to think it could be made to work. Ultimately, if it’s going to, it’s going to have a material up-front cost, or a huge amount of advetising. Personally I’d rather pay a subscription of about the price of 3 albums a month than be deluged with adverts I suspect.

🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

spotify does not have many adverts – but the quality is awful.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Publishers of music should pay for a licence and that includes online publishers like YouTube. PRS are out of touch though. Delivering music through the internet should make their lives easier as it is easier to monitor (legal sites anyway) and increase revenues as it is a growing market. However they seem to be unrealistic in their demands.

BoardinBob

Spotify sounds to be exactly what I want though…
    …Personally I’d rather pay a subscription of about the price of 3 albums a month than be deluged with adverts I suspect.

So you’d pay £20 – £30 a month just to LISTEN to music, rather than buy it???

You are aware of an invention called radio, that allows you to listen to music for free? 😆

LostJohnny
    Free Member

grumm – Member
    The PRS are twunts

Totally agree, they are just as bad with independent film makers, I know of cases were they have tried to charge for ‘free’ classical music, because it was ‘in an identifiable sequence’, how about 10K a second for “Happy Birthday” or any identifiable nods to this item of “such great cultural significance..” (allegedly.)
    Bastij’s.
    LJ. (and harrumph too.)

BigDummy
    Free Member

Trouble is Bob, someone has decided that the experience of radio has to consist of both listening to music and listening to some bizarre tosser talking tedious nonsense out of his arse/ego as well. What is the value of a month’s worth of morning indie radio without George Lamb speaking? I reckon £20 is pretty good value. 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

Could we not just form at whip round to have George Lamb terminated? I don’t normally approve of violence, but I think in this case it would benefit humanity as a whole.

project
    Free Member

Every public place, shop, office or wherever should have a PRS licence, or face a big fine, a trade depot i was in the other week had a visit and they wanted 10 k a year per depot.

A workshop i worked in once , the record was purple rain by prince, the foreman got upset because the radio was crap and the record sounded terrible , so he shouted turn it off , nobody obeyed, so he just walked up and put a lump hammer through the radio.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

a trade depot i was in the other week had a visit and they wanted 10 k a year per depot.

OK, so a little mom+pop bike shop is going to pay that then! IIRC if its only the radio the licence for broardcast is paid by the station and is free for the end user.

I always used to play my CD’s in the workshop on the basis that I had paid for them and no one else liked them 🙂 If NoFX / Today Is The Day / Unsane want their money they are more than welcome to pop round and have a coffee while I count it out!

SSP

project
    Free Member

nullFor singlespeed punk,

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

OK Project, for the LBS I am working in at the mo thats £1900 a year just to have the local radio station on in the back ground. Pretty sure I know my bosses reaction to that 🙂

Neve had the PRS round when I ran my own shop, although the TV Licencing Thugs did keep pestering me even though the shop had never had a TV…go figure that one.

SSP

Milkie
    Free Member

When PRS told us at work that we had to pay for a license to listen to the radio, I thought it was a scam! After a little bit of googling, we coughed up the money, despite feeling its damn right outrageous. I think it cost under £200, but there’s not that many of us in the office.

As for DJ’s, its damn right ridiculous, or it used to be. You used to need a PPL (Phonographic Performance License) and then another one to play mp3’s! Also the venue needed to have a PPL (Public Performance License). Not so much of a problem if you’re doing full on mobile disco’s or a high end dj earning big bucks.. If you’re like me and do the occasional gig/set, its not worth getting the license.

What I can’t understand is, why do i not need a license at home? If my friends come round and can hear it, surely I would need a damn stupid PRS license?

CountZero

You need to have a licence to listen to broadcast radio that has already paid the royalties to the artists. Any workplace that ‘might’ have members of the public anywere in earshot has to have a licence, even a farmer with the radio in his cowshed for his cows was told he needed one! WTF. Don’t be surprised to hear of someone being prosecuted by PRS for having music playing in a stationary car with a window open, calling it a public broadcast. They are really ripping people off, the owner of the coffee shop I regularly use was having a real rant about PRS and the £1900/year they wanted per shop for her two shops, just to have a radio on.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Are the Performing Rights Society out of step or…’ is closed to new replies.