Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Are the basic Race King tyres any good?
  • specializedneeds

I know some tyres can vary hugely through the price range, different compounds for example, are these OK? Less than £20 at CRC. Otherwise it would be the protection version and a big price hike, worth it?

Looking for a fast rolling & light rear tyre for hardpack/trailcentres. Saw a Lapierre in my LBS with RK on the back and they seem to have plenty of (short) knobs to protect the carcass, something that bothers me with some other lightweight tyres that are sparce on knobs. Have also considered Kenda SB8, but sure I read somewhere not good for tubeless – v. porous sidewalls. Have been very happy with Nevegals up until now, but they had SWS which seemed to cure the leaky sidewalls.

Set up: tubeless on Stan's rims, not UST. Full suss.
    Thanks

baldSpot
    Free Member

Have the 2.2 f & r on my ht. Cracking tyre for dry hardpack conditions. Crap in the wet. No idea if they'd be good for tubeless

sv

I run a 2.0 ghetto tubeless nice fast tyre and 'exciting' in the wet!

MSP

basic ones are crap, black chilli compound are great.

gazza100

Running normal 2.2's on my five and iv found them to be quite good all round. Used them at 10 Under the Ben at the w/e and with exception of wet roots, had no probs with grip. I was actually surprised how well they performed on the steep muddy decsents. Cant comment on the tubeless set up though.

oldgit
    Free Member

Found mine great in dry hardpack. Then took them on a long damp/rooty/flinty xc circuit and they were lethal. I actually said to my mate that I'm going to break something riding these and I did.

It's not that the tread is minimal, it's the fact that it only covers the centre of the tyre so off cambers are an issue. All IMO of course.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Are the basic Race King tyres any good?’ is closed to new replies.