Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • are superstar pads till crap?
  • willy
    Free Member

i remember you used to get storys of the whole pad falling of the metal, is that still the case or have they sorted themselves out?

Pook

sorted themselves out. now come with haribo too

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

my last few pairs have been very good…

hainey
    Free Member

Seems like mixed fortune. I swore i'd never use them again after 4 pairs destroyed themselves in one day in the alps, but seemingly from reports this isn't happening anymore.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

the sintered ones are good

uplink
    Free Member

I was given a few sets last week by a mate – they seem OK so far but I'll reserve judgement for a couple of weeks

If I don't report back – they must have fell apart & killed me 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Ooh a good timing post. Anyone know if the XC Racers shop ones are the same product?

Burchy1
    Free Member

Ask shinythings…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The first batch of four I had were very short lifespan. The most recent batch of four have been excellent, at least as good as Goodridge G* pads.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I've been using the pads from XC racer for the last 2 months without an issue. They're the first set I've used though so I cant comment on consistency.

NigE5
    Free Member

Be aware that there is a production problem with Hope mini mono pads,
    Ordered 4 sintered only one pair fitted due to the pad material being bigger than the backing plate. I have spoken to them this morning and they say that the are waiting for the warranty dept to warranty them?
    They say I should get them by the end of the week.
    No rush then, fills me with plenty of confidence…..

neil853
    Free Member

had several pairs with no problems

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Come with Haribo? Now I really want them to get some Elixir pads in, Disco ones were too big (backing plate too wide for caliper) so back to SS, if they get some in (or back to Disco if they get some in and tell me they will fit).

_tom_
    Free Member

Mine have been fine for about a month.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nig – hope originals or SSC?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

didn't have any problems with my first set, finaly looked at them for the first time in months and they're down to the last 0.5mm or so, just spunked £41 on 4 sintered and 4 organic sets for some back to back testing.

Some of them are hope mono mini's so will let you know how they fit.

snowslave

The kevlar ones are v good, and they come with haribos too

MrGreedy

I never had a problem with the pads themselves but swore never to buy from them after the owner posted on here (and probably other sites) under a fake username, basically shilling, slagging competitors and acting like a bit of a c*ck. FWIW I've been using Discobrakes since and found them fine, and just as cheap.

NigE5
    Free Member

TJ

These are SSC

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nig E5 – Member

Be aware that there is a production problem with Hope mini mono pads,
    Ordered 4 sintered only one pair fitted due to the pad material being bigger than the backing plate. I have spoken to them this morning and they say that the are waiting for the warranty dept to warranty them?
    They say I should get them by the end of the week.
    No rush then, fills me with plenty of confidence…..

this just makes me laugh – warrenty dept – its a one man outfit

– check the answer he gave on this thread

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/superstar-pads-nightmare-fitting-issues-on-juicy-7s/page/2

This is a known issue with SSC and other cheap pads.

jojoA1
    Free Member

The Boss of SSC is a twerp of the highest order, so regardless of the quality, I won't buy from him. HTH 🙂

el_creedo
    Free Member

I took my bike out of the car on Wednesday evening only to find that the pad had de-laminated in the boot! wtf?! still, they were resin ones, which i hated – so now have a pair of their sintered ones in – they feel lovely, just hope they don't die again (better keep the bike out of the car!).
    Hamishthecat (should be called iheartmidridemechanicals) has experienced the same delam on a ride before, he was miffed!

grumm
    Free Member

kevlar ones are great imo

_tom_
    Free Member

The sintered ones only lasted me one muddy ride and now one has a deep groove down it. They still work but not incredibly sharp. Are the kevlar ones much harder wearing.

hilldodger
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    this just makes me laugh – warrenty dept – its a one man outfit

jojoA1 – Member
    The Boss of SSC is a twerp of the highest order, so regardless of the quality, I won't buy from him. HTH

…and it took less than an hour for the rallying of the clans, impressive 🙄 😆 🙄

NigE5
    Free Member

TJ

I thought that would bring mirth.
    The one man must be very busy as they did not reply to my email from last week.

Frankers
    Free Member

Kevlar good for the drier weather, sintered for wet muddy rides. Sintered last longer IMO for general use but can get a bit squeeky and loose bite when dry.

Steelsreal

I discovered the mono mini pad issue whilst at Afan a few weeks back. Meant i had to buy two sets of ashim(?) pads for £38 which lasted the duration of the wall. Great.

Sent back to the now legendary"warranty department" and await the outcome……

but not holding breath

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hilldodger – and a few minutes for my most tedious stalker to invent a conspiracy. You really are a sad little man.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've discovered most (SS, Fibrax, Discobrake anyway) cheap pads need filing to fit in either Magura or Avid calipers.

I've now given up on cheap pads for my Louises, because OE pads work and last so much better, but the SS sintered pads are superb for XTs, it has to be said!

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

I find the sintered Juicy pads really good, they seem to last ages and are powerful.

trailmonkey

I know someone with a broken arm who could give you a very definate answer to the SSC/pad fail question.

hilldodger
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Hilldodger – and a few minutes for my most tedious stalker to invent a conspiracy. You really are a sad little man.

Your responses are just so predictable it's irresistible not to pull your many strings sometimes, it's not stalking – it's entertainment 😆

Now dance puppet dance, and watch out for those rotational injuries whilst you’re at it………

coffeeking
    Free Member

I know someone who's used SSC pads on 3 bikes, from muddy scottish to dry dusty alpine trails and had no problems.

I've had no haribo though.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The Boss of SSC is a twerp of the highest order, so regardless of the quality, I won't buy from him. HTH

does the same apply to Fred Tesco, Bill ASDA, Lord Sainsbury et al ? I won't deny Neil is annoying but I find the pads work well and are a lot cheaper than Shimano ones.

grumm
    Free Member

I did the Mega with a SS Kevlar pad in my back brake. It was fine for a good few months afterwards too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hilldodger – whereas I just find you tedious and dull. Your life must be boring if baiting me in such a tedious manner is your idea of entertainment. You could at least be inventive or amusing.

Still – I suppose its a public service to entertain the terminally dull.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It made me LOL TJ, your strength of feeling on this reall does make you look like a loon.

ChrisL

I've not used Superstar's brake pads but I did get a KS seatpost and Superstar has been very good with its warranty. It's a pity that I've needed to use the warranty twice but both times the post was fixed and upgraded without any problems.

Wally

My sintered hope mono mini pads fitted fine and work well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘are superstar pads till crap?’ is closed to new replies.