Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Are Superstar Elite road wheel worth upgrading to (from R500's)?
  • Leku
    Free Member

Superstar Components Elite Rims 24 built on Icon ULTRA 11 hubs. With discount £75. Claimed 1500g

New bike has R500s, which are about 1900g. I’m fairly light and they would be for short blasts rather than all day rides. Thinking it would be best to ebay the R500s while they are still new.

timb34
    Free Member

By an amazing coincidence I fitted a pair of these last night to replace a R501 back and older OEM front, saving almost exactly 400g (measuring old and new wheels). They’re just under 1500g on my kitchen scale.

Didn’t really notice huge increases in acceleration on this morning’s commute, or big times differences (apart from two Strava PBs..), but they roll much better (new bearings I guess), corner MUCH better (stiffer than the old front?) and are a bit scary when braking but I’m expecting this to change as the braking track wears in.

Still not sure about the white rims, but the freehub’s not too loud.

thorpey0
    Free Member

Bought a set last week, arrived next day and seem well made, you can’t grumble for the money! I rode them for the first time yesterday and compared to my old OEM Bonty’s they are 600g lighter!! So acceleration is noticeable, they roll well too. Worth a punt at that price!

Leku
    Free Member

Perfect. Thanks for the comments.

akira

Got some and for the money they’re hard to beat, can flex the rear a bit when pushing it but I’m pretty happy with them. Just check spoke tension after the first few rides, I’ve had some shocking builds from superstar.

chillidave
    Free Member

I bought a pair a couple of months ago, I must have put on 1000km by now. Very happy with them, they were slightly under the claimed weights without the superstar tape. They’re holding up very well so far, considerably lighter than the Forza wheels they replaced. Braking was shocking initially but they’ve bedded in nicely.

The only downside is I feel a bit cheated at £100! At current prices I’m tempted to buy another for spares.

Leku
    Free Member

So I’ve just sold the old wheels for £46, making that 350g lost off the wheels for £29. Happy with that.

gar69
    Free Member

Hi just seen this is there a current discount code to bring them down to 75 quid? I looked but didn’t see anything obvious

donkis2032
    Free Member

Slightly off tangent, but I recently upgraded my training wheels from some Aksiums to the Dt350/superstar wide’ish rim combo for about £250. Really pleased with the new wheels, roll super fast, look classy and they’re a fair wedge lighter. Seem to be well built too which is nice.

khani
    Free Member

Codes on their Facebook page

gar69
    Free Member

Thanks I looked its MAY FRONT and it works. Result!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Extra20 and maymad25 also been live this month.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Are Superstar Elite road wheel worth upgrading to (from R500's)?’ is closed to new replies.