Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Are sunglasses cheaper at the airport?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

I want a pair of Oakley Flak sunglasses and will be flying from Gatwick in a few weeks. Are the sunglasses sold in the airport any cheaper than I can buy on t’internet?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not by much, if at all. Also, worth noting that airport shops only stock the blandest of the bland when it comes to colours and lenses.

lunge

In experience, if comparing to a generic high street retailer then yes, not by much but yes. If comparing to an online retails like Igero then no they’re not. And CFH is right too, average and boring stock often.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DrP

Fyi, sunglasses hut (high street) will match sunglasses hut (airport) without question.. I.e 20% off just like that!!

DrP

dovebiker

Online – the irony being that airport shops are supposed to be vat-free and therefore cheaper, but the retailers simply use it to bump-up their profits.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah the captive audience effect is far stronger than the “duty free” discount, if they actually exist – “duty free” doesn’t extend to travel within the EU – is there an EU and non EU departure lounge? I don’t think so.

I’ve always found airports to be horrifically and expensive.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Airport shops are a captive audience rip off, relying on people still thinking they get “duty free” on everything and therefore must be cheap.

For a start only cigs and booze are duty free now anyway and only when travelling outside the EU (post-Brexit though this likely changes).

And then they may advertise prices before VAT, but the price is the same as the price with VAT. When asked for your boarding pass in the shop they determine the destination and if you are travelling within the EU, VAT is charged as per the law, and outside the EU, they charge the same price and pocket the difference.

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/airport-shop-vat-savings-what-you-need-to-know-about-duty-free-scam-10451207.html

Besides that, they’re big name retailers with high prices compared to budget high street and online shops.

Not to mention also that often the same products may be cheaper still in the destination you are flying to (so long as it’s not an airport or tourist trap shop).

CountZero

The only possible reason for buying at an airport is if you’ve left yours at home and desperately need a pair for the extremely sunny climes you’re on your way to.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not to mention also that often the same products may be cheaper still in the destination you are flying to (so long as it’s not an airport or tourist trap shop).

Last two pairs* were bought in the US. Much cheaper.

*Holbrooks. Custom.
    Radar EV. Custom, with trail and road Prizm and clear.

Haven’t bought a new pair for a year or so. Hmmmmmm.

poolman
    Free Member

Not sunnies but jo malone airside is cheaper than the high st, high st never discount. Well not to me anyway and i ve asked. I think its c 20% less.

jimjam
    Free Member

Absolutely not cheap. Online retailers have far better deals.

jambalaya
    Free Member

No. You’ll be able to find them cheaper by shopping around.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

jo malone airside is cheaper than the high st,

Also, the staff at T5 and T3 are truly exceptional.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Are sunglasses cheaper at the airport?’ is closed to new replies.