Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Are Stans 355's as strong as Mavic 719's or DT Swiss 5.1's?
  • Vortexracing

Got some hope hoops on DT 5.1 rims and I'm looking to shed some weight from the bike.

The hope hoops on Stans 355 rims will save about 0.7lb of rotating weight, but, how strong are they?

I also have some 719 wheels which seem fine for all the riding I do as well. (I tend to have different tyres on the two rim types)

Neither the 5.1 or 719 wheels have been out of true or even dinged in over 2 years of riding so my thoughts are the 355's will be OK.

Am I right?

I only weigh just over 10 stone if that helps.

Opinions on the robustness of Stans 355's compared to the other rims welcome please.

Ta

Chuck

nuke

Given your weight, I definetly say yes. Was running 355 on the front and 719 on the rear on my PA; fairly burly build with Pikes and the 355 has taken all I can throw at it. I'm also a couple of stone heavier than you as well.

MisterT

Stans 355 are lightweight XC/Race rims. where as 719's and 5.1's are hard hitting tough rims (probably called all mountain nowadays) – so you shouldn't expect the 355's to be as tough.

I'd compare 355's with mavic 717's and DT 4.2 rims – and imo the 355's build into a stronger wheel.

if you are after a tough stans rim, that is also light weight, then go for the Stans Arch. great rim, very strong.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Vortexracing

typical STW.

one fo, one against.

anybody else any opinions?

poppa
    Free Member

Are Stans 355's as strong as Mavic 719's or DT Swiss 5.1's?

I would say maybe.

😉

STATO
    Free Member

MrT is right, the 355 is not a direct comparison to the rims you have now. Saying that the 355 might suit your riding fine, its not like they are going to instantly ding or break, but if you crash it might not come off as well as your current wheel.

closeactionchris
    Free Member

I've been using Stan's 355s on a pair of Hope hoops since June, for general trail riding, enduros and XC racing, and they are still dead straight and true. I'm around 15 1/2 stone. Best wheels I've ever had.

martyntr
    Free Member

I can only compare the following combination as I have used them myself…..

Mavic 717's

Stan's Olympic…

Are they as strong ?

Yes and I ain't 10 stone..

Vortexracing

cheers guys,

I think i'll give them a go.

Are Winstanleys still the cheapest at £228?

si-wilson
    Free Member

That Winstanley price is cheap! I can't remember exactly but i think my cost is around that price!

pinches
    Free Member

this post is making me have terrible thoughts of new wheels for christmas 🙁

Vortexracing

get it spent pinches

'There are no pockets in shrouds'

rootes1

For twice the price stans should be good – why are stans rim soo expensive?

backhander
    Free Member

I went form 5.1s to 355s and they've been great. No detectable flex and I'm 14.5st (lost a bit!).
    I'm riding mainly Cwmcarn and Afan.

pinches
    Free Member

well i'm probably going to go crazy, and put my pro2 on 717s on my new project, and get some Pro3 SP on 355s!

metalheart
    Free Member

Si, dipper was cheaper… :mrgreen:

I certainly hope they are good as I got a group buy Hope Hoop pair.

And whats worse I stuck High Roller 2.35's on 'em (well actually dipper did – he's a star!)

only been out on them once so can't really tell you how they hold up though.

metalheart
    Free Member

rootes1 – Member

They are the same price on Hope Hoops.

rootes1

might be the same as hope hoops but in 29er flavour are twice the cost of mavic? perhaps the £80 price on crc is for two? I got 2 29er tn's for that

metalheart
    Free Member

ah, yes, good point.

they are stupid silly price rim only in any flavour as far as I can make out.

Digger90
    Free Member

I've had some ZRT355's (Hope Hoops) since the summer and have given them a right thrashing – including this past weekend riding blasting rocky, technical, rough trails downhill in Spain (not DH – more like very aggressive trail riding – much rockier than anything in UK).

I'm 15 stone and the wheels are straight and true.

I rate 'em!

STATO
    Free Member

Because they are a lot lighter for the same strength, plus they are made in much smaller number than Mavic. Compare them to DT rims, originally quite popular but not so much now, mainly because as they are almost the same price as Stans but are kack in comparison!

nickc

Bear in mind that most of a wheel's strength comes from how well it's built, and not really from the rim*.

* With the obvious caveat that some rims are clearly manufactured stronger than some others, but there's less in it than you'd think.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

i'm 11 stone and i race/ride on them.

my riding isn't super smooth as i'm more a 'sit-down' pedaller when racing but the wheels have always been on my hardtail.

i've trued them twice since building them and crashed on them pretty hard once too but they keep on going and going.

reccomended

rootes1

yer though it might be to do with production volumes, but still think stans are too expensive – perhaps crap exchange rate.. shame they do not have eyelets either..

Vortexracing

Just bought some 355's off Roger @ Wheelpro in Preston. A bit more expensive than Winstabnleys but he does include yellow tape and valve. Plus he seems to get nothing but praise on here and seems a pleasant bloke.

Picking them up on the way home.

MisterT

.. shame they do not have eyelets either..

why is it a shame? – they are not needed.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Are Stans 355's as strong as Mavic 719's or DT Swiss 5.1's?’ is closed to new replies.