Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • Are standards slipping? Less/fewer, then/than…. Being/been?!
  • alpin
    Free Member

The problem with me starting this thread is those that it is addressed to probably don’t even know it is aimed at them….
    I know this is only a forum, but please put a little more effort into what you type.

Twice in the same thread different people have used been instead of being… FFS.

Then is being used more and more often when comparing instead of than.

Less /fewer really is quite easy, but still people seem unaware of the difference.

5thElefant
    Free Member

If we stuck to archaic rules we might aswell speak French.

anagallis_arvensis

but please put a little more effort into what you type.

no

teasel
    Free Member

I think you need to kick back and blaze one up, Alpin.

Oh… wait…

mikey3
    Free Member

You need to losen up.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Oh… wait…
    😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

You really should read back, and edit, what you just typed. Ffs! 😆

househusband

What you should of said is…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Don’t loose your cool, It’s only a forum! (that one really pisses me off)

If you want to see shite grammar & spelling, look at any fishing forum!

One bloke today was selling his ‘real’.
    It’s an English teachers heaven/nightmare.

whitestone
    Free Member

+1 to the OP

(from a miserable old pedant!)

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

The problem with me starting this thread is those that it is addressed to probably don’t even know it is aimed at them….

pot… …black… 🙄

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sports commentary – why use an adverb when an adjective works just as well 😯 ?

oldnpastit

Sorry Alpin, but peak Civilization was reached in 1992. We’re now on a slow downward spiral towards societal collapse and a return to the swamp.

Sundayjumper

But sometimes an errant homonym changes the meaning and is quite amusing. I remember on a car forum someone describing how to fit a difficult part, suggesting you should “use greece” 😀

timidwheeler

Sorry OP, but that is written really bad.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I done it deliberately. 😛

slackalice
    Free Member

I’m with the OP, I likes it I do’s.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Less /fewer really is quite easy, but still people seem unaware of the difference.

Go on, give us the rule.

beej

Fewer things, less stuff.

So fewer cars, less traffic.

Cars can be individual items. Traffic can’t be.

Or less water, fewer raindrops.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I was counting on Alpin giving the rule, it’s he what said it’s easy.

jonba
    Free Member

Language changes. Some things sound wrong to some people but don’t change the meaning. Other things don’t sound wrong but do change the meaning.

I wouldn’t be too bothered about less/fewer as they are becoming interchangeable. However, if you have an uncle Jack who rides horses you need to be careful.

midlifecrashes

Just seen an advert for Braun shavers on the telly. They pronounced it Brown!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Language changes. Some things sound wrong to some people but don’t change the meaning. Other things don’t sound wrong but do change the meaning.

What’s the point of having grammatical rules then? Admittedly the rules did come a few hundred years after the language established itself. The joy of the exceptions.
    If I have to read a sentence twice to get the meaning, it’s wrong,

slowoldman

While we’re at it, “of” and “have”.

Drac

They read yesterday’s thread where apparently you have to speak the native language of the country you’re in.

slowoldman

God knows how many years it’s taken them to get that one right.

alpin
    Free Member

That is how braun is pronounced in German, despite ‘brawn’ sounding more German.

alpin
    Free Member

Oh… wait…

Raised a smile…. Smoke free for over four months now. Although despite being stoned on and off for the last 20 years I was still able to differentiate between less/fewer, then/than, have/of…. 8)

flashinthepan
    Free Member

I’m broadly with the OP

Being/been, than/then should be right.

But language changes and ‘accepted use’ becomes a factor. I haven’t checked but the less/fewer rule is probably now obsolete. Anyone still using ‘gay’ to mean happy, or ‘decimate’ to mean one in 10?

aracer
    Free Member

That’s not language changing, that’s just people being lazy and incorrect. Or are you going to suggest that a grocers’ apostrophe is now acceptable because language changes and it’s so widely used?

anagallis_arvensis

What’s the point of having grammatical rules then?

To aid understanding. If everyone understands what less cars on the road means and its written in an internet chat bored why worry?

funkmasterp

I don’t understand how people can confuse than and then. They have completely different meanings innit. 🙂 I honestly think that auto correct and spell checkers are the reason for some of the mistakes. I always try and use the correct terms, but as long as a sentence can still be understood I don’t get too bothered by it.

Right I’m going for a shower than once I’ve being in the shower I’m going too work wear I’ll loose the will to live 😈

whitestone
    Free Member

Homophones – words like “where” and “wear” “should of” instead of “should have” (should’ve) are at least understandable when used interchangeably but getting “then”,”than” and “that” mixed up is just wrong,

On a forum like this something is written once but read many times so the onus is on the writer to be correct not the many readers to have to make mental adjustments to figure out what the writer meant to write.

The grocer’s apostrophe: this seems be because people don’t know how to form plurals so they assume that the apostrophe covers up their lack of knowledge.

jekkyl

language is constantly in flux, no-one is wrong.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Pfft,

‘Are’ instead of ‘our’ isn’t an example of ‘flux’, it’s an example of wrongery*

(*flux)

Drac

On a forum like this something is written once but read many times so the onus is on the writer to be correct not the many readers to have to make mental adjustments to figure out what the writer meant to write.

I’m not sure it’ll cause readers too much mental anguish.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Your right.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member

language is constantly in flux, no-one is wrong.
    🙄 Accept when you are wrong! My rule of thumb is that language can be played with, and as long as you can explain what you have done, then it’s fine. If you can’t explain, it’s a mistake. Same rule applies to foul language. Swearing is fine except when it’s the limit of your vocabulary. If you can’t express what you want in other ways, it’s wrong.

kerley
    Free Member

It is difficult to use ‘fewer’ incorrectly

fewer traffic just sounds wrong and can’t imagine anyone saying that.
    “I notice there is fewer traffic today”

Less cars sounds fine to me even if it is technically incorrect.
    “I notice there are less cars on the road today”

Guess I have just got used to less sounding okay when misused but can’t imagine I will ever get used to fewer. Still, we all have our pain points…

epicyclo

whitestone – Member
    …(from a miserable old pedant!)

That’s a brave thing to admit in public. Isn’t there a govt enquiry into that?

Next you’ll be admitting to matriculating at university….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Are standards slipping? Less/fewer, then/than…. Being/been?!’ is closed to new replies.