Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Are some racial stereotypes justified?
  • epicyclo

It’s just those nasty Ethnics that cause all the problems.

BTW I have always wondered where Ethnica is – just past Estonia, or is it Ethnicastan?

alpin
    Free Member

don’t stereotypes come about for a reason?

if i was to say that germans are abrupt, miserable, rude and generally think they know better than others based on stereotypes of germans i have seen or heard, would i be right….? based on my experience of living in germnay, for the most part yes.

australians are fun loving, lager swilling and culturally inadequate group? after having been in australia for one year, yes.

black youths are drug dealing, knife wielding nutters happy to stab anyone for 10 quid? some are prehaps but, many are not. much like white kids. infact i know more ‘white’ kinfe wielding, drug dealing people then black. doesn’t mean to say then that white or black people are drug dealers or knife wielders but a section are so.

white british people are middle class, have 2.4 children, have a three-bed home, off raod parking and play golf for the social aspect? some do, some don’t. my dad would have fitted perfectly with that stereotype (the GF’s idea of being english) but many people wouldn’t.

indian or chinese people are festidious workers, happy to work 25 hours a day behind the counter of a corner shop or local take-away? obviously not but, it has been said in the past as that was what most of the general population saw of them.

stereotypes are not neccessarily wrong but, they can be mis-leading if believed or taken to be the norm.

but there will always be cultural differences.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Why do you never get subtitles when an Irish/Welsh or Scottish person speaks on TV yet when a Carribean person etc speaks……you do?

i’ve seen northerners (british) subtitled on american tv – not thick acents either – ones that would be hard for me (a southerner) to define a regionality for other than vagualy northern! Bloddy americans!

Bunnyhop

Geordies ( my most favourite accent) do need subtitles.
    Ooh and strong Glasgow accents ( Scottish, my second favourite accent).

Hairychested
    Free Member

enfht – Member

Aren’t “stereotypes” just generalisations?

“Racial” generalisations are obviously bad.
    What a load of bull! Brits, esp. the English, are so PC they can’t say the truth just in case a non-Brit dislikes it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Some Irish drink a lot….but I don’t.

Not for the want of trying though…more of a capacity problem that.

But yes lads, your women melt when we speak 😆

samuri
    Free Member

I work with Indians a lot. Not British Indians, Indian Indians. Very hard working chaps on the most part and most are extremely clever but the vast majority…. have no initiative (or desire to show initiative). There are exceptions to this and some will argue their case but even most of the senior guys will be hard pushed to take responsibility. This could be the culture they’re told to adhere to when working for a british company but it’s extremely frustrating when so many push the ownership back over to the brits. I notice they’re quite happy to be in charge when they’re dealing with Indians but the same guys still have problems forcing things across to Brits.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

What about a bandana?

psycho 🙁

NZCol

I work with Indians a lot. Not British Indians, Indian Indians. Very hard working chaps on the most part and most are extremely clever but the vast majority…. have no initiative (or desire to show initiative). There are exceptions to this and some will argue their case but even most of the senior guys will be hard pushed to take responsibility. This could be the culture they’re told to adhere to when working for a british company but it’s extremely frustrating when so many push the ownership back over to the brits. I notice they’re quite happy to be in charge when they’re dealing with Indians but the same guys still have problems forcing things across to Brits.

Theres quite a range of cultural observations i have had while working with indian (IT) teams. My most spectacular f-up was when my female project director was having some problems getting them to do, well anything really. After consulting my indian mate he pointed out that they would not take ‘direction’ from a woman like that. So we put a guy in to work with her and lo and behold it all went swimmingly although they did end up by devious means working to her. Just cultural differences really. They also say Yes to everything, even when it means No – nothing smutty here or spit roast stylee – just pure do you understand this Yes == No. Culturally they do not want to lose face. fair enough but quite hard to work with it all if you don’t know it.

They complained about my accent as well – I’m scottish.

And Hora – I got “My name is Joe” out on DVD here in NZ. AND IT HAD SUBTITLES FFS. Honestly could not believe it. But after 10 mins it was quite funny what the subtitle said and what they were actually saying.

Spongebob
    Free Member

We simply can’t discuss anything to do with race, so lets have a pop at Essex girls and boys. They’re an easy target and we can’t get acused of racism or being BNP supporters if we make fun of them at their expense 😆

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Are some racial stereotypes justified?’ is closed to new replies.