• This topic has 56 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Are some people just not meant to drive?
  • Ewan
    Free Member

Just driven home from Wales. Saw a bloke in a people carrier *accelerate* into a large flat bed; no idea why – truck wasn't slowing down or anything. Must have happened at 60 odd with a closing speed of 30 ish. People carrier crumpled like it was tin foil.

Called the ambulance etc (hands free kit) but was in the fast lane so couldn't really stop. *Says little prayer*

Based on that I suspect some people shouldn't drive. That said, i passed on my 4th attempt! So I can't really talk (although it does make me aware that i'm not 'all that' at driving!

cassin
    Free Member

Yes ! They all live in East London. Just move here and don't bother with a licence 😀

scaredypants

… they look at me like I killed Diana

😆

Talkemada
    Free Member

You're not wrong there, Cassin. Maniacs, some of them. No thought or consideration for anyone else on the road. Still, riding a bike round here sharpens your reflexes up a bit… 😯

Scaredypants; it's true. You think I'd raped their pet goldfish, the way some of them react.

spooky_b329

Gf's cousin took something like 12 lessons to pass. At least he was persistent, a school friend failed his first test, lost all interest overnight and didn't re-attempt it for a couple of years as I think he didn't want the humiliation of failing again.

Its more that she's not confident with the cars ability to cope with a given corner, whereas I drive anticipating the front to push wide on the entry and the back end to step out on the exit because I know thats what my car does. She's probably never been anywhere near the limit of her cars grip.

Isn't that called driving by the skin of your teeth?! Not at all clever, if you are cornering at the limit of grip then there is no margin left to take any avoiding action without skidding, whether it be a full on emergency stop or just a relatively minor deviation of course when you find the 'apex' has a nice big pothole. On my most recent driving course by an ex class 1 pursuit driver I was told that you should never drive by 'grip or feel' for this exact reason.

Anyway, looking forward to the challenge of acquiring my C and then C+E in the summer, that should be a good laugh 🙂

bassspine
    Free Member

I think the basic mistake is to perceive it as a driving 'test'. By the time your instructor puts you in it should really be just a formality, a 'check' that you will be safe to drive on the roads.

there are definitely too many people driving in this country. And many who shouldn't be driving. And that includes people who think they are driving gods and people who will never get their licenses in twenty years of trying, both scare the sh1t out of me.

Last weeks New Scientist had a feature on the future of computer-driven cars. Enjoy your driving (if you enjoy it) you've got 20 years or so before the car will do it all.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Excellent! I can have a little nap.

bassspine
    Free Member

Talkemada, It would be my ideal. Settle down in the car, cuppa tea and a book, bit of music, maybe take a nap, wake up at my destination. 🙂

StumpyBlurRider
    Free Member

twice failed..an never bothed again,living in london no great loss

noteeth
    Free Member

Yes – me.

zaskar
    Free Member

Well people make mitakes but her instructor should give her mock exams so she isn't nervous.

Wait a min, she failed the theory or driving?

tandemwarriors

Well people make mitakes but her instructor should give her mock exams so she isn't nervous.

That's the theory, but if only it was so straight-forward in real life!

Have been sat in the back of the car on many tests and am still amazed how a very competent driver can turn into a complete cabbage at the sight of a clipboard!
    Yep, can see that car approachinig from behind, yep its getting close now, yep a bit closer, oh, I think I'll move off now. Doh!

Yep car coming from the right at the island, yep coming quite quick, oh I'll just go infront of it. Doh!

I'll come up to this Give Way, slowing down, oh hang on, I should randomly position myself by the right hand kerb just like a one-way street, then something coming into the road will drive straight into me. Doh again!

You really wouldn't believe what some can manage to do, even ones that I'd bet my house on.

For some pupils I do lessons with a clipboard on my knee and randomly write gibberish, just to de-sensitise them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

more like MG Midgets have a shocking chassis,

telelever/wishbone front which isn't too bad I suppose.

The rear though…………

Live rear axel, located by leaf springs and 2 great big rubber bands. Damping by tele-lever again.

Under acceleration you can feel the whole back end of the car squirreling arround, and in a corner the overly basic back end just casues understear as you turn in.

You'd think BL would have at least fitted a pannard rod or something to help matters…………..

I don't drive everywhere at 100mph, mainly because at 60mph the front starts to lift off the road!

As for recumbents,

Cyclists aere by far the most uvunerable road users, doing it in a recumbent is just suicidal, no one can see you as no one is looking at knee level for hazzards.

meikle_partans
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon:

i read that but all i heard was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgnCMSWtoVc

tron
    Free Member

The driving test is difficult these days. I'd also say that how quickly you pass it is generally not an indicator of how competent a driver you end up being. I reckon I learned as much in my first few weeks of solo driving than you ever do in driving lessons.

The idea that your ability to process what's going on around you and apply it isn't something you can learn is complete bunk. It's been proven on many occasions that someone who has a few yeras of driving under their belt reacts considerably faster than someone who recently passed. Why on earth do you think insurance premiums get cheaper as you get older, despite the fact that all your faculties start deteriorating in your twenties?

Adenoids on: It's PANHARD rod.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mehhh, typo 🙁

Given some welding ability/money I'd stick the diff out of a freelander and independant rear suspension in there, there's masses of room. Would also Alow some fettling under the bonnet, to summerise the current live axels ability to cope with more power……..

"Its not too bad, I'm only on my 3rd set of half shafts this season"
    – some bloke at a classic car race.

DezB
    Free Member

Going back to what the OP said, I was the same when my wife failed her 3rd test… however she passed next time round and has turned out that she is a way better driver than me! Patient, considerate and safe.
    May not beat my lap times round a track, but that ain't what driving on the road's about.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Are some people just not meant to drive?’ is closed to new replies.