Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Are slow cookers all created equal?
  • sandwicheater

Our one year old son/loving husband who’s wanted one for ages is getting the wife a slow cooker for mothers day. He’s so thoughtful.

Have you found a particular function handy or a model that’s not worth the money you spent?

Cheers

sbob
    Free Member

Get a big one, I always wish I’d made more.

chewkw
    Free Member

I use mine at least twice a week.

Very convenient and get a large one.

binners

They’re about as simple a device as its possible to get. Put stuff in it, turn it on. Not much to go wrong. Get one! Ours doesn’t half get some hammer. For when you get sorted…

Slowcookertrackworld

sandwicheater

Cheers guys, will get the biggest I can find for under £30. Cheers for the link binners, was planning on cooking something on the Sunday.

Surprised how simple the recipes are. Think slow cooking is right up my street.

cp

as above, no need to go crazy. And I second the get the biggest you can realistically store. Slow cookers are great.

sbob
    Free Member

For reference, mine was 3.6l, and I could have done with twice the size.

andytherocketeer

think mine was about 35 quid.
    big one, with hot setting, slow cook setting, and keep warm setting.
    russell hobbs or morphy richards – forget which.

jamiea
    Free Member

We’ve got a Morphy Richards jobbie, does the job!

Oh, and thanks for the reminder to facilitate our toddler’s purchase of a pressie for Sunday 😳 A rotary cutter and cutting matt should hopefully land on my desk tomorrow! She had flowers on valentines, if she got them more than once every three years she’d think summuts up 😆

Cheers,
    Jamie

chewkw
    Free Member

Set your budget at maximum £35 as that is more than enough to get a good one.

Mine has three settings: Low, High and Auto.

😀

sandwicheater

Cheers all, 6.5 litre Morphy Richards on order.

Butcher called and brisket on order. nom nom nom.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Amazon reviews suggest that the 6.5l models aren’t as good as the smaller ones (food gets burnt easily etc)?

chewkw
    Free Member

jamesgarbett – Member

Amazon reviews suggest that the 6.5l models aren’t as good as the smaller ones (food gets burnt easily etc)?

Just need to add more water to avoid burning/drying.

Mine is Breville 4.5L.

From Argos

jfletch
    Free Member

May I also sugest that you are a brave man. Buying a woman a cooking utensil on a day that is supposed to represent a day to appreciate what they do and give them a break from that.

Get her a proper present and since you are an adult you can just buy yourself a slow cooker whenever you want. They are only £30.

sandwicheater

Cheers for the advice/head up james & chew. I’ll be sure to adjust recipe. Guess i’ll quickly learn what works.

jfetch, the wee lad is getting it for her, honest 😳 He’s to blame the little rotter. I on the other hand will get her nothing. She ain’t my mum.

Oh bum, am I supposed to get her something as well?

johndoh
    Free Member

May I also sugest that you are a brave man. Buying a woman a cooking utensil on a day that is supposed to represent a day to appreciate what they do and give them a break from that.

I was bought a BBQ by my wife twin 1 year olds a few years ago – I was made up – I loved it (have now upgraded to a larger family model since we moved house to one with a garden bigger than the footprint of a disposable BBQ…

jfletch
    Free Member

jfetch, the wee lad is getting it for her, honest He’s to blame the little rotter. I on the other hand will get her nothing. She ain’t my mum.

She ain’t stupid either I presume. If I let my girls decide what to get their Mum for mother’s day it would be Peppa Pig branded!

was bought a BBQ

That’s different though, BBQs are for parties, special occasions and enjoying the summer. It’s a way for you to express your manliness by cooking with fire. It doesn’t have the same conotations as a slow cooker.

A slow cooker is mundane, its a labour saving device, it says “hey love, thanks for cooking my tea, but I’d love a stew” or if the OP does the cooking it says “here is a present for you that I actually bought to make my life easier”.

Like I said, brave (or foolish). She may love it but is it worth the risk?

sandwicheater

You have me doubting myself jfletch! In all honesty it is something we’ve both wanted for ages and it will be a genuine surprise. I’ve no doubt she will appreciate.

On the other hand, I’ve a few bivi trips planned this summer so extra brownie points will come in handy.

DezB
    Free Member

If it’s a present you have to get a posh one! Mine, I use loads – my mum got it free off some magazine or something, gave it to me as it’s small (fits 3 dinners for me 🙂 )
    But it’s (obviously) cheap as and does the job just perfectly.

user-removed
    Free Member

I expected, and got, nowt from our one year old on Fathers Day (apart from a card). Apparently though, I’m expected to help the wee man buy mummy an expensive present for Mothers Day. Hmmm. 😕

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I hope your wife has an unusual sense of humour.

To get her all excited about a gift on Mothers Day, then for her to unwrap what is obviously a selfish and self serving gift for yourself instead – and that you have used your child in the process to ‘justify it’ looks utterly self absorbed and not at all nice.

Mmmm, wonder how long this marriage will last…

Seriously, get her a nice necklace or chocs or something, declare the cooker as a separate purchase – NOT a gift – for the benefit of all of you and cook her a special mothers day dinner with it, with no effort on her part.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Are slow cookers all created equal?’ is closed to new replies.