Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Are shorts in cold weather really bad for your knees??
  • fingerbike
    Free Member

If it’s summer in your soul, you can wear shorts all year round…

Always ride in shorts, 661 kneepads keep the knees warm sometimes…

mrmo
    Free Member

something to think about, flesh starts to freeze at -5 Celsius. This is when Frostbite begins to become an issue

The-Beard

Bib tights do wind me up – how do you go for a leak without stripping off completely!

I got Gore ones with a conveniently placed zip. Absolute genius.

I have to cover my knees or they complain like fury. I’ve got bib tights, 3/4 length shorts, knee warmers – the works. Think the Endura 3/4 MT500 tights I got are my favourite. Fit really well and can be used pretty much all year round.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mieszko
    Free Member

When its cold I get my 3/4 bib tights out and then put some shorts over when mtb. When its really cold I put some windstopper tights and still put shorts over them. My knees need to be looked after so I keep them warm and take Glucosamine as well (dont know if it works but knee pain is not coming back so I guess it does work for me).

If You have any knee condition or need to look after them than tights/warmers or something like that need to be used.

Back home when it was colder than 12-15 all my club mates were starting to wear longs or 3/4, but again winter is colder than here. Last week was about -15 to -21. Try to wear shorts only when its that cold. 🙂

Scots look like they are cold resistant, never saw so many people wearing short sleeves or just a sweatshirt in winter 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ronhills under normal shorts here, works quite well on most days

then when its propper cold bring out some cheep £10 trackies from sportsking/socerWorld etc and wear bibs under them.

I’ve got crap knees though, and im only 22!

HTTP404
    Free Member

In cold weather as the body inevitably cools down, the blood circulation shrinks inwards to maintain core temperature, ie blood flow is reduced from the arms and legs. This can cause cramping in the legs.

I would have thought the effects of cold on blood flow to the knee joint would also be detrimental in some way.

Longs for me.

grumm
    Free Member

Dead ‘ard me. I do currently have a bad knee – pretty sure its not related though.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m also shocked at how many people wear shorts. Do any of you actually do it through choice? Ie have you bought some tights, worn them, got too hot and gone back to shorts? I’ve only ever spoken to people who’ve got tights and realised how much more comfy it is!

Tights or 3/4 below about 14-15 degrees, lots of embrocation if racing in lower temperatures.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Ie have you bought some tights, worn them, got too hot and gone back to shorts?

YES 🙂 Tights are for girls.

TimothyD
    Free Member

I think not wearing shorts in the cold is less potentially harmfull than wearing them,and you’ve only one body etc..

Shorts wearers are nuts. 🙂

K.s
    Free Member

shorts and knee warmers, best of both worlds!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Rarely ride in anything other than shorts and T, unless its raining. I get too hot within about 10 minutes of setting off unless I go out like this. Have some tights, get hot and itchy in them. Have a jacket but get too hot and itchy in it so tend to either wear it open or take it off altogether. It was only -4 when this photo was taken so not too bad.

TimothyD
    Free Member

Maybe shorts wearers aren’t nuts. It’s weird you get so hot coffeeking.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

think not wearing shorts in the cold is less potentially harmfull than wearing them,and you’ve only one body etc..

Shorts wearers are nuts.

did you mean more harmful ?

coffeeking
    Free Member

It is weird, I agree 🙂 Suits me fine though. Still get cold standing around, its just under my own motion I seem to produce more heat than my body can deal with lol.

alpin
    Free Member

was about -10 that evening. i had two(!) pairs of socks on….

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Are shorts in cold weather really bad for your knees??’ is closed to new replies.