Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Are Shimano SLX M875 Brakes a worthy upgrade to existing Avid Elixir 3?
  • sirromj

Are Shimano SLX M875 Brakes a worthy upgrade to existing Avid Elixir 3?
    The Elixir 3’s are a bit noisy, don’t like long downhills, and there’s (hopefully only superficial) corrosion on the lever bodies, but for general local trails they’re adequate.

Shimano SLX M875 get good reviews, am quite tempted, can find good price, which is friendlier/more acceptable to my budget than XT.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes. Very much so. Buy them! 🙂

hebridean
    Free Member

yes

MartynS

have a look for deore brakes, m615
    GF has them on her bike, I’ve got XT. Apart from a lack of easy adjustment they are as good as the XT i have.

oh I’ve got an old set of slx on my HT and they are brilliant to..

you cant go wrong!

ticsmon

Do you mean m675?

sirromj

Yes M675

johnnystorm

I think I have more faith in dragging my heels than a pair of Elixirs.

chestrockwell

Yes x100000000. The current Deore/slx/xtr are a world away from the avids. This comes from having had both.

winston
    Free Member

I could do you brand new XT’s for 85 quid posted (no discs) – just need to wait a couple of hours as another forumite might want them and he did ask first

djflexure

Just got some deore for my ss and very impressed. Run Hope on everything else but thought I’d try a budget option.

sirromj
    sirromj

Hopefully it won’t matter the hose is 150mm shorter than the existing hose :-/

cp

1250 is VERY short for the rear hose, you sure that will be long enough?

I imagine they’ll only work on a small 26er with a short stem and narrow bars. Just cut a piece of string or something similar to 1250mm and see where you get to…

sirromj

FS 26er with short stem, wide bars, current hose roughly 1400mm. Will be tight with hose running along downtube, length is needed in the curve from chainstay to caliper. Might try routing along top tube if too short.

sirromj

I’m hoping the angle of ‘banjo’ thing that connects the hose to the calipers is adjustable… ?

If so, it will allow for less hose, as on the Elixirs some length is needed to create a smooth ‘S’ curve as the hose points up along the seatstay but is routed along chainstay.

nedrapier

sirromj – yes it is, the reason I just bought some SLX* for myself rather than the otherwise perfectly good Deore on my wife’s bike – the angle is quite sharp and the hose has got folded and crimped when it’s been tugged at some point.

*€99 a pair from bike-discount.de if you want longer hoses, and don’t mind swapping hoses from Euro left front to UK right front)

qwerty
    Free Member

Ribble have them with normal hoses and regular pads for £85, add the BF10 code and you’ll get them for £76. CRC have them with finned pads for £85. 1200mm is too short for most bikes.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Are Shimano SLX M875 Brakes a worthy upgrade to existing Avid Elixir 3?’ is closed to new replies.