Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Are shimano freehub bodies servicable ?
  • santacruzyork
    Free Member

As above pls , mine is slipping now and again , any ideas thanks Paul

somafunk

You can make a tool out of an old socket and grind it down so that you are left with two prongs to open up shimano freehubs but unless you have a grinder and a box of spare sockets then i imagine it’s a bit of a faff, so i advise you to lift up the rear rubber seal with a pin or tiny eyeglass screwdriver and flush out the freehub with GT85 or suchlike and find the heaviest oil you can find and soak the freehub in a tub of it for a while then take out and leave to drip dry and refit.

nonk
    Free Member

If its slipping just replace it.
    Somafunks trick. Is great if its all full of crap and sounding rough but once it’s started slipping I would just get rid

birdy
    Free Member

I think many years ago shimano sold a tool that would allow their freehubs to be taken apart so that they could be serviced. If i remember correctly though shimano freehubs have got many more pawls than a Hope or Mavic freehubs, so even if you had this tool, youre probably best off not taking it apart.

What you can do however (once you’ve removed the freehub from the hub) is,

.carefully pry off the rubber seal from the back of the freehub
    .flush it through with gt85 or wd40
    .apply some lighweight oil
    .pop the rubber seal back on

This should hopefully keep it running smoothly with pawls engaging for a bit longer.

santacruzyork
    Free Member

Cheers chaps ill try cleaning otherwise but new

johnellison
    Free Member

Soak it in diesel overnight. Degrease, rinse, soak again. Degrease, dry off, soak in (clean) engine oil. Throw away, replace.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If i remember correctly though shimano freehubs have got many more pawls than a Hope or Mavic freehubs, so even if you had this tool, youre probably best off not taking it apart.

Last time I had one apart there were 2 pawls, but oodles of tiny little ball bearings.
    Mavic have 2 pawls also, Hope XC 3 and Hope Pro2 4.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

rocketman
    Free Member

I don’t think you can get the internals any more but you can get a complete Deore hub for £20 or so includes freehub, axle, cones, bearings the lot.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Its one of the disgraces (ok not on a global warming level) of the cycling world, the throw away nature of things like this.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Are shimano freehub bodies servicable ?’ is closed to new replies.