Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Are Shadow mechs made of cheese or have I been unlucky? Quick ans needed.
  • woodsman
    Free Member

Just a few months on a new XT shadow mech and the cage is all wibbly-wobbly, and won’t shift properly despite numerous attemptstrying to adjust. I have done a lot of riding during that period, but defo not bashed it on anything – it’s unmarked!

Quick answer needed, as I need to replace this today. Are these prone to early wear over the conventional type?

Thanks

I_Ache
    Free Member

Ive not had any more problems with shadow than with normal mechs.

matt_outandabout

Mine is fine after 3 years of rocky Highlands and Peaks….

29erKeith
    Free Member

no probs with mine only broken 1 in 2 years
    and that was a rock-mech-wheel interface at speed which would have brocken just about any mech I suspect

mikey74
    Free Member

You’ve been unlucky. Mine has been fine for 4 years, including taking a yearly battering in Whistler.

woodsman
    Free Member

Hmmm – thanks for the response so far. It’s defo just worn – baffling!

Tim
    Free Member

Same, mines been absolutely fine – SLX

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve had the same XT shadow on mine for a couple of summers now, you know how I ride Pete, so its not down to finesse!
    I do clean mine pretty regularly and lube the pivots every month or so, perhaps thats part of its logevity?
    I know one of my buddies had a similar issue, but he does neglect his kit a bit, mind you his brother’s the same and his is still running ok.
    I’d happily buy another one or go for SLX (assuming your build will allow for such lowly components!)

rocketman
    Free Member

I got one that was ‘all wibbly-wobbly’ from day one I think it’s part of the design. Providing the cables are sound the shifting is almost touch-sensitive, amazing for a mechanism that’s attached to a lever with a bit of wire.

toys19
    Free Member

Sure it isn’t an xo mech?

billyboy
    Free Member

I’ve had numerous failures with them and I’ve given up on shadow mechs.

I think they are ………..

1. far more prone to failing than the conventional mechs
    2. far more difficult to set up
    3. badly designed…look where the wire ends up
    4. offer absolutely no advantage over the normal mech

mikey74
    Free Member

1. far more prone to failing than the conventional mechs
    2. far more difficult to set up
    3. badly designed…look where the wire ends up
    4. offer absolutely no advantage over the normal mech

1.Not in my experience.
    2. They are p*ss easy to set-up.
    3. Not had any issues there.
    4. You mean apart from the fact that they don’t stick out as much, making them less prone to damage, and that they don’t knock against the frame?

Apart from that I agree with you 😛

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Both my XT and Saint ones went wobbly pretty quickly (especailly the Saint). The XT broke the first time it got clouted (but it did miss getting hit on a lot of stuff I expected it to catch on), the Saint soldiered on for 18 months or so before I got fed up with the hit and miss shifting and went back to Sram.

woodsman
    Free Member

Thanks all – very helpful.

Just spoke to Merlin who I bought it from and they are going to send it back to Shimano – that’s good! In the meantime I’m going to go into my least favourite but very convenient bike superstore, and get a 771 conventional! They did say that the Shadow wears a bit quicker than the conventional – their opinion of course.

Pual, yep I did all the cleaning and lubing of pivots too. Oh well onwards and upwards and all that…

🙂

yunki
    Free Member

shadow SLX here – 24 months of rocks(with a few bashes), mud, grit, snow and sporadic maintenance..
    no problems at all..

allmountainventure
    Free Member

yunki – Member
    shadow SLX here – 24 months of rocks(with a few bashes), mud, grit, snow and sporadic maintenance..
    no problems at all.

Ditto that. 2 years of Spanish abuse.

Gary_C

SLX Shadow here too. The only problem I had with mine was that it lost all the tension on the jockey wheel cage. A quick strip down by removing the cage from the body & then re-tensioning the spring soon had it working again

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have to say that the only reason I got a shadow mech was because my deore mech kept banging against the horst link on my chainstay and it was doing my head in. I have the deore on my HT now.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve got an XTR Shadow on each XC bike and even one on my DH bike (2 long, one short, all 9 speed)
    Never any issues, had them for around 3 years.
    Think you are just unlucky.
    Only downside I’ve found is getting replacement jockey hweels to fit. Now found Mt Zoom ones and they seem fine.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Are Shadow mechs made of cheese or have I been unlucky? Quick ans needed.’ is closed to new replies.