Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 256 total)
  • Are Roadies Odd?
  • njee20
    Free Member

Some pumps are better than others, the Innovations ones I used can be controlled really well, agree some of them can just stuff all the air in in one go, which isn't so good.

Have to say I've never had a problem with CO2.

oldgit
    Free Member

Air-Gelflaps? plus the foil packets make an excelent tyre boot.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Well I like having the extra space of a Camelbak whether it "trendy" or not. Always carry it on the MTB apart from when racing.

And for long rides, I use the water bladder – for shorter ones I leave it out and use a bottle.

I can squeeze all I need for the road bike into my saddle bag but it's a tight fit. I have the Road Drive pump mounted on the frame of the Allez (seat tube) – shock horror!

Can't believe some of you don't like Mule bars – they are amazing!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flange
    Free Member

Cake crumbles in my jersey pocket – gels in their handy wrappers don't. And the cream in my pavalova makes a terrible mess of my new Ultegra STI's. Cake also gives me a massive insulin spike followed by feeling thoroughly sh1te, gels are slightly more tempered in the way they deliver.

Gels for riding, cake for plee-sure

As for the Roadies vs Mtb'ers….do you even ride a bike?

DezB
    Free Member

Really? It's not exactly a quantum leap from offroad riding for pleasure is it. Is it?

Well actually, YES.
    However, I did say offroading is odd too, if you read me post, like.

njee20
    Free Member

Well you don't carry cake with you, you stop to eat cake and have some banter!

Used to use saddle bags, just go with jersey pockets now.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Trouble with saddle bags is the chuffing things spring open and leave all you bits and bobs on the road / trail behind you.

Paceman
    Free Member

I've been riding the same road commuter route for nearly 8 years now, up until recently on an old hardtail MTB.

Since I bought a road bike last September, the same roadie guys who've for years ignored my nods and hello's every morning when our paths cross, are now more than happy to acknowledge my existence with a greeting, and even chat when we're stopped at the lights.

How strange are they ?!?!? 😆

clubber
    Free Member

KINGTUT – Member
    Trouble with saddle bags is the chuffing things spring open and leave all you bits and bobs on the road / trail behind you.

Do you also often find yourself walking around with your flies open? 🙂

Roadies are odd, mtbers are odd, trackies are odd, BMXers are odd. Spot a theme.

FWIW, I've found plenty of mtbers who won't nod at me when I'm on my road bike (even when I've got a peak!). Is it really worth worrying about?

I've not nodded back to plenty of cyclists for a variety of reasons while on a variety of bike types.

Reasons include
    – being knackered and not noticing them until they're almost past
    – being grumpy
    – forgetting
    – not liking the look of them 🙂

finbar
    Free Member

Really? It's not exactly a quantum leap from offroad riding for pleasure is it. Is it?

Well actually, YES.
    However, I did say offroading is odd too, if you read me post, like.

Fairy nuff. Other people's hobbies are always odd really. My housemate makes cushions.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Kingtut – it's hard enough opening the bag (Topeak Aero Wedge) when I need it so "springing open" is not a problem. I don't like using jersey pockets – just feels wrong.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Not exactly. I did not anticipate the strong opinion, it was more of a gel vs cake comment gone wrong!

Maybe you should have entitled it "Is my mate odd?" in that case, the fact he rides a road bike is purely coincidental. Like has been mentioned before, some people are strange, some less so.

Still, I like cake. but, given the choice of carrying half a coffee and walnut in my back pocket or a couple of gels, I'd probably go with the gels too.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I've never had an issue with a seat pack springing open, tube' tyre lever, co2 inflator, mini tool in that and mini pump and food, spare clothes (rain jacket or gilet) in jersey pockets. Phone and keys in zipped jersey pocket.

Never had an issue with co2 trapping the inner tube, do you know how to seat a tube properly.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

when I'm on my road bike (even when I've got a peak!)

**shudders**

flange
    Free Member

I quite enjoy going out on the club ride with hairy legs and a peaked helmet. But then I'm a right kinky mother….

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have a pal who's a die hard mountain biker, you know the type – unfit and doesn't really ride very often – and for some odd reason always goes out on his road bike, which he bought to try and improve his fitness, wearing his camelbak and 3/4 baggies. He doesn't need a camelbak, or the baggies as he only goes on short rides so it's not like he's gonna do a cafe stop but he seems to think it actually winds other 'roadies' up – it doesn't.

I find it odd that someone needs to behave like that.

oldgit
    Free Member

[Never had an issue with co2 trapping the inner tube, do you know how to seat a tube properly.]

How very dare you 😡

MartinGT
    Free Member

It makes me chuckle going to trail centres, baggy short wearing guys with a rucksack as if youre off on a 3 month trek accross the jungle whilst wearing full wet weather gear when its sunny.

Its a trail centre for christ sake!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Agreed, I always wonder what people carry in these massive packs.

oldgit how very dare I indeed 😉

al_f
    Free Member

oldgit – Member
    Have any roadies on here noticed that it's getting actually quite 'cool' to stop for food again.

I thought caff stops had always been in fashion? Maybe that's just me though… 🙂

clubber – Member
    when I'm on my road bike (even when I've got a peak!)

If I take the peak off my helmet the sun gets in my eyes more and it looks like I've strapped a whale to my head (well, more so anyway), so I always use it. TBH I'm not sure where the "no peaks for road" convention came from? Is it just tradition?

clubber
    Free Member

I always wonder what people carry in these massive packs

Lots of water and lots of food in my case 🙂 I like/need both 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

al_f roadies used to stop. then it all got a bit eighties/lunch is for whimps, so you would end up with a fast non stop group and a slower café stop group. Now with the likes of Sky, Rapha and even Sir Lance blogging from coffee stops it seems once again acceptable.
    Or is it just ME?

clubber
    Free Member

"no peaks for road"

It's more why would you need one really. A bit like, why don't we ride mtbs with spare tubs in our pockets – technically no reason not to…

Peaks have some use offroad for me as it deflect foliage/branches I find but on road, other than at night (to shield eyes from car headlights), there's no real need and in fact, when in a 'proper' road position – eg low at the front – I actually find the peak gets in the way of vision. I only really use a peak on road when on my cx bike which is higher at the front.

al_f
    Free Member

oldgit – Member
    Or is it just ME?

No, it's not just you: I've always found a cake stop an essential part of any road ride – at least part of the route is planned around getting to the cafe! Then again, i've never been particularly likely to be in the "fast no stop" group. 😉

Hmm, on the peak issue I might try it without again – god my helmet looks daft without the peak on though (ooh matron etc.)

pypdjl
    Free Member

baggy short wearing guys with a rucksack

Ahaha! What a bunch of idiots! Wearing baggy shorts, what were they thinking? And carrying a rucksack at a trail centre! Don't they realise that trail centres operate under an entirely different set of physical laws where mechanicals are impossible, weather has no effect and hunger and thirst are but a dream…

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Overtaking numpties on 5" trail bikes with those silly adjusty seatposts on a racey hardtail is brilliant.

Is that the best part of your ride? I ride both HT and FS bikes and it's only the **** that find overtaking "brilliant" the rest of us are to busy having a laugh and finding the DH sections brilliant. Tosser.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

or the baggies as he only goes on short rides so it's not like he's gonna do a cafe stop

Perhaps he just likes to wear remotely normal clothes when in public?

MartinGT
    Free Member

Ahaha! What a bunch of idiots! Wearing baggy shorts, what were they thinking? And carrying a rucksack at a trail centre! Don't they realise that trail centres operate under an entirely different set of physical laws where mechanicals are impossible, weather has no effect and hunger and thirst are but a dream…

I would agree idiots wearing baggies ;).

Youre usually less than a mile from a fire road or help in a trial centre. So why carry a load of gear?

Were all different at the end of the day I know, and were all out on the bike which is the main thing.

pypdjl
    Free Member

You are usually not far from a road on any ride, I'd still rather carry enough stuff to be self-sufficient though.

Macavity
    Free Member

"Are Roadies Odd?"

If you read :
    The Flying Scotsman: The Graeme Obree Story
    Allan Peiper's book A Peiper's Tale
    In Search of Robert Millar by Richard Moore

then you will not need to ask the question.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Perhaps he just likes to wear remotely normal clothes when in public?

But he's riding a bike, he's not doing any stops for the pub/cafe/shops so what is the point.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Haveyou seen the price of backpacks, frankly better to have one that you could use on a multiday ride and have it half empty for a 3 hour blat round a TC.

The zips gone on mine and I'm looking at at least 30 quid for a new waterproof one, it's an outrage!!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

the rest of us are to busy having a laugh and finding the DH sections brilliant. Tosser.

Dunno, I find hammering up the climbs/uphill singletrack just as enjoyable. feel sorry for the people that think climbs are only there to get to the next downhill, you're missing half the ride!

clubber
    Free Member

Climbs can be 'enjoyed'/'fun' if you're fit/fast enough for them. Talking as someone who was and didn't mind them but isn't fit now and now dislikes them intensely I know what I'm on about 😉

njee20
    Free Member

And if you ask a member of the public if what they think of someone cycling in baggies and a loose fitting jersey they will still say they look stupid, it's irrelevant!

You are usually not far from a road on any ride, I'd still rather carry enough stuff to be self-sufficient though.

Agreed, although I for one have never understood the need for anything like a Camelbak MULE/HAWG for anything short of multi-day rides!

it's only the **** that find overtaking "brilliant" the rest of us are to busy having a laugh and finding the DH sections brilliant. Tosser.

Charming! I must admit I find it very satisfying when folk audibly sneer at 'XC riders' and rush to get into the singletrack first, only to go rather slowly. It happens rather often I find! Not the best part of the ride, but it is amusing when they can't drop you.

I like to give a nice 'hello' at the bottom too, as they stop to discuss how gnarly their line choice was, most ignore you, it's all rather pathetic, but again, WGAS?!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

So, do you think you could put the gel INSIDE the cake and make it more like a jam donut (patent pending)?

joolsburger
    Free Member

OP – Those gel things taste pretty grim especially compared to the lemon fudge cake at Peaslake ( it's in the fridge in case you'd missed it)

The cheese straws are pretty damn good too.

njee20
    Free Member

Agreed on the cheese straws!

SIS Gels are the worst too, far far too runny. Just wrong!

pypdjl
    Free Member

Agreed, although I for one have never understood the need for anything like a Camelbak MULE/HAWG for anything short of multi-day rides!

I find a mule a bit small for long rides, mine is pretty much full with just a bladder, 2 tubes, pump and a waterproof.

oldgit
    Free Member

I've got to race with these chaps tonight.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 256 total)

The topic ‘Are Roadies Odd?’ is closed to new replies.