Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Are replacement standard allen bolts available for Formula R1 brakes?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

In particular, the pad retaining bolts, and the lever clamp bolts.

I’m fed up of rounding the standard hex fit ones, and forgetting to pack a poxy hex lever on rides.

Spin
    Free Member

Not sure if they are the same or not but: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/formula-rx-pad-retention-bolt

The last post on that was most pertinent as it was most likely a crap worn allen key that was doing for mine.

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

The standard bolts are actually Torx heads, not hex. And I know how it feels to round a pad retaining bolt.. I learned that lesson early.

Northwind

Yep, they’re torx- designed so they’ll take a hex in an emergency only.

I ought to have a pad bolt somewhere, bought it in error- I’ll have a look.

andrewh
    Free Member

If you can find any Allen ones I would love to know where, especially the pad ones.
    It’s a funny size torx head and I cannot find a multitool anywhere which has it, so I ended up carrying a huge workshop tool just for that, rather annoying in a race like Keilder.
    Actually, a couple of tools do have it, but they don’t have the bigger one needed for the lever bolts. And I found one which has both, but no chain tool. Would be much easier just to swap the bolts out.
    My The One brakes on the big bike are Allen bolts, but they are much longer bolts.
    Anyway, I shall keep an eye on this tread, see if anyone does know of any. If I find them first I’ll post them up here.

sbob
    Free Member

Surely they’re just metric bolts, which are readily available in all sizes for pence?

Northwind

The lever ones are a funky stepped/shouldered bolt thing. The caliper ones are a pin with a thread, rather than being a bolt- maybe a thin (m3?) bolt would do it though it wouldn’t have the smooth surface. Not a bodge I’d do on a top-end brake.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Are replacement standard allen bolts available for Formula R1 brakes?’ is closed to new replies.