Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Are Renualt Clio's as unreliable. .
  • tails
    Free Member

and crap as I’m led to believe as they are a fair bit cheaper than the equivalent fiesta.

jonk

Pre 03 1.2 16v engines have many faults, the 1.5 dci engines can suffer from problems with injectors and 1.4 and 1.6 16v engines are prone to coil’s going. Which type and year were you looking at?

spooky_b329

All other things being equal, Ford Fusion is cheaper than Fiestas. They make a great run around and have a wide low boot which is good for loading bikes. Its basically a Fiesta estate, like the C-Max V Focus.

Pickers

Can only speak from experience. We’ve had ours from new, it’s a 2004 54 plate 1.2 16v Clio.
    Had an air mass sensor thingy fail (fixed under warranty) and the door catch surround broke. That’s it, nothing else gone wrong at all.
    Er indoors loves it, I like but can’t get a decent driving position.

project
    Free Member

The bonnets fly up, see bbc watchdog report.

The catalyst is made from cheese, or the one i had for a hire car was, also the second one i had, the imobilizer thingy, is mounted behind the rear view mirror, next to the sun roof, so when it rained pointing down hill the imobilizer got wet, the doors opened but the car engine kept cutting out, told by the rac chap to park pointing up hill and if it happens again which it did take it out and warm on the exhaust gases, strangely it worked on his van, but if the engine wouldnt start it wont work on a clio, as you cant start the engine, took it back and swoped for a rover 200 much better car for the rest of the week.

LardLover
    Free Member

Our 5 year old Clio has been (crosses fingers at this point etc!) no bother, apart from the ignition barrel seizing up a few days after we got it (repaired under warranty obviously). Other than that it’s been a great little car.

uplink
    Free Member

Are Renualt Clio’s as unreliable. .

It’s French

project
    Free Member

Just think of french cars like the workers, they strike or stop for no reason , then make a big fuss about it. 😀

Doug
    Free Member

Plus a glass or two of wine in break time is pretty much the norm. Love to see the QC figures to compare morning to afternoon quality issues.

Weasel
    Free Member

I had an old Clio 16V, when it worked it went like a rocket, and when it played up I wished I had never owned the thing. Even my mechanic hated the site of the thing as it was so damn awkward to work on.

I’d never buy another Renault again.

Speshpaul

Are they still made by Renualt then?

But oddly enough for a french car my uncle had a C5, chopped it at 185K, and as he said it finished every journey it started under its own power.

Del

GF had an s reg one for 5 or so years – bought SH. great little car. was very reliable and did a few miles. was getting a bit flaky towards the end mind.

Brycey
    Free Member

I had a ’56 plate 197 and revved the arse off it for nearly four years from new. It never missed a beat, great car.

tails
    Free Member

Bit mixed then! Not sure I can take a risk of getting a dud.

R.lepecha

My sister has just got one for her first car, apart from having really bad jacking points made of cheese and the oil filter in the worse position ever to change. It runs anyway, its a 1.1 year 2000 I think a late in the year MK1 as far as I know.

Anna-B
    Free Member

I had an 03 1.2 16V and loved it. Bought in 06, sold a couple of months ago – never had one problem with it. They fix the bonnet catch for free as there was a re-call done on it. I had mine done, as should any Clio in that batch – should be a record in the SH. Only sold due to company car, would have kept otherwise.

Merak

I have had various Clio’s from phase 1 mark 1 1.2s right up to the Williams. I currently have a 59 plate 1.2 TCE turbo. Its excellent. Renaults and Clios in particular are no less reliable than any other modern motor imo. Its just your luck.

IanW
    Free Member

Bought a 1.2 clio new in 1998, twelve years later it is still my daily transport.

Replaced brake pads once , tyres twice, battery once, several wiper blades and perhaps a light bulb or two.

No stamps in the service book because it hasn’t had any, its had an oil change now and then though.

About 70k now, never let me down.

tails
    Free Member

So perhaps their not so bad, so sick of looking at cars. Wish I had enough cash to buy new!!

uplink
    Free Member
    hungrymonkey
    Free Member

fancy cheap ford ka, based in london tails? 😉 😳

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

i’ve just had a nightmare with one and would steer clear if i were you. The build quality is poor, like really for its age. Mine was a 52 and it felt propper ropey compared to all my other cars. It was really quick being the 1.4 but any bump or poor surface and it sounded and felt like the sky was gonna fall in on me. this leads me onto another situation.

Clio’s are known for leaking sunroofs but i took a chance and boy was i pi$$ed i did. it leaked so much that the garage agreed to take it back! they are cheap, fun to drive and look great, but really they are naff built.

i’d not bother as i said, for the same money get an older Fiesta of VW.

k-sugden
    Free Member

We had an 02 plate 1.4 16v a few years ago went like the proverbial coil packs packed up outside warranty Renault replaced FOC without argument I would have another without a second thought.

tails
    Free Member

fancy cheap ford ka, based in london tails?

Email me at Ands43 @ hotmail . com it prob a bit small but I’l have a look. Likewise anyone selling anything 1.4 or smaller.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Are Renualt Clio's as unreliable. .’ is closed to new replies.