Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Are Rear 10mm Hubs and DT Swiss RWS Thru worth it on a hard tail?
  • Michael-B
    Free Member

As above it would cost me about £65 to convert my setup in total.

chimpymcchimp

What’s your setup at the moment?

alpin
    Free Member

i’d say yes. looking at upgrading to larger rear axel when current wheel dies.

Michael-B
    Free Member

Hi, Thanks for the replies couldn’t get back to the computer. I’m just specking up a new AM / hardcore XC hard tail I have Hope pro2 hubs and I’d just get the conversion kit and RWS thru bolt

chimpymcchimp

In that case, I’d get the 10mm bolt-UP option instead as it’s 19.99 from CRC and includes the bolts, so it save a fortune compared the DT Swiss option.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The Hope stuff is much cheaper than the DT stuff. This is an upgrade I would like F&R but I can’t face dismantling my perfectly good wheels ATM

firestarter
    Free Member

i wouldnt say so. i have the 9mm front and 10mm rear on my dt ex1750 and the the front felt much stiffer but but rear didnt seem to make a difference at all from my old wheelset on the 5spot

when i built up my 456 i tried the dt wheels rather than my pro2s on it and again front was stiffer the rear tbh i couldnt feel any different.
    so i bought the hope pro 2 adaptors for the front and a rws 9mm qr and just left the rear normal qr

if you dont mind the qr not being a dt one give spesh uk a bell they can get hold of new old stock spesh stout 9mm bolt thru qr at a fraction of the cost of the dt gear

dicky
    Free Member

Not in my experience, if you have have standard 10mm open dropouts. It’s worth it on a full susser as they tend to be more flexy but not on a hardtail. However I’m not a ‘hardcore’ rider by any stretch so if you regularly do big jumps etc it might be more relevant.

As long as the QR skewer clamps tight enough (ie it’s made by Shimano) then I can’t see any benefit from going bolt up. If you have the option of different drop outs eg Maxle compatible, then it’s probably worthwhile going down that route for the added security though.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It won’t make any perceivable difference I imagine.

That said, I run one on the back of my 456 – but that’s to do with having interchangeability between the hard tail and the full susser.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Are Rear 10mm Hubs and DT Swiss RWS Thru worth it on a hard tail?’ is closed to new replies.