Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Are Pubs and Restaurants obliged by law to recycle?
  • cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Just curious. I’m fed up of seeing the bin men sling 500+ cobra bottles in the general waste from the Indian next door to my office.

thomthumb
    Free Member

no.

normally local councils are ridiculously prohibitive about it too. We asked at the last place I worked. they wanted £1k up front for the bins and extra ££ for the collections.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Cheers, that’s a joke though. These services should be made very attractive to business owners.

Pieface

IIRC they put differential charges on the collection of ‘waste’ to encourage them to recycle.

What really annoys me is the fact that we can only recycle 1 type of plastic in this country. Wouldn’t it be fantastic if the government invested in some recycling plants so that we can import waste? Seems good enough for nuclear.

ell_tell
    Free Member

There is a waste hierachy that businesses are encouraged to follow though, and I think its been bought into the Waste Regulations 2011.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/waste/legislation/waste-hierarchy/

I beleive there will also be a requirement from 2015 for waste collectors to seperate recyclable waste i.e. paper, glass, plastic etc so this might affect households and businesses alike.

footflaps

What really annoys me is the fact that we can only recycle 1 type of plastic in this country.

I do wonder what actually happens to it all. We get a separate wheelie bin for plastics, glass and card and just put everything in there eg any type of plastic. Every fortnight they duly collect it. Have no idea what percentage they recycle or whether it all gets landfilled…..

johnellison
    Free Member

We used to get our work waste collected by Sita. One of their operatives told me that just about everything they collect goes to landfill, regardless of its ability to be recycled. Utterly pointless.

mefty
    Free Member

Don’t assume that they are not recycled, there are plenty of people collecting who offer sorting services.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Are Pubs and Restaurants obliged by law to recycle?’ is closed to new replies.