Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Are POC pads all that?
  • Fat-boy-fat

Thinking about buying some new arm and knee pads and I’m a bit confused as to what’s good and what’s not. I don’t mind spending some cash if it’s warranted but I was wondering if POC pads are worth the extra cash over other thixotropic pads. Any opinions out there?

crftom
    Free Member

Simple answer yes anything POC is awesome just look how cool the helmets are Helmets

stany
    Free Member

I’ve no idea what Thixotropic means but I’ve had a pair of POC VPD 2.0’s for a couple of months and had a good few tumbles wearing them.
    They’re comfy once they’ve warmed up and softened, and cover the kneecap nicely, giving good protection to direct impacts, but I’m getting smashed up around them where my old 661 Kyle Strait’s, now the Rage, gave loads of coverage.
    I’m still using the VPD’s but only cos they were so sodding expensive!! Got a pair of Rage’s as back up, ready to go.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

I don’t think their soft pads are especially brilliant tbh- not great coverage and people complain of them moving around- but the Bone elbows are the best you can buy IMO- they look a bit stormtroopery but they have great protection, they stay in the right place, they don’t restrict, they’re not tight, and most of all they’re less sweaty than any soft pad I’ve used- the lobstershell gives it some structure so it doesn’t need to wrap around like most pads do. So they actually end up being a better option than soft pads in most ways, while also giving the protection you’d expect from hard ones.

The shinpads are very good, but a bit gigantic- I like mine but I count them as downhill-only, they pedal fine and all but they’re just overkill for anything else, to me.

mactheknife

I have the VPD Pads and so far so good. Im not into wearing them everytime i go out but i will bung them on for a long descent.

The only thing i did notice was that they slipped down a fair bit which did not please me considering the stupid price i paid for them. But in their defence i have not had a chance to properly adjust them. I just put them on then pointed downhill. Got a week in spain coming up and they will be used a lot so a full review might be in order when i get back.

legend
    Free Member

If you like POC you should also have a look here: http://www.sweetprotection.com/mountain-bike/

The elbow pads are a little longer if you like that, and the knee pads are very nice too (Mrs Legend has the set and they haven’t moved at all in riding or crashing. Also Dirt School are also using them if that’s anything to go by)

footflaps

If their helmets are anything to go by, they seem to be very much a premium brand. Giro do virtually the same product for a 1/2 the price…

legend
    Free Member

Giro do virtually the same product for a 1/2 the price…

Just because they do a Carbon Remedy (possibly the worst looking helmet ever, still staggered that the replaced the uber-popular MadMax with that thing!), doesn’t mean it’s virtually the same product (as POC or Sweet).

porter_jamie

i have been wearing my VPD knee and elbow pads for a week in les arc. they have saved my bacon a few times now. they only have a velcro strap at the top end, and it took me a few rides to get them so they didnt slide down a bit. they do not have an open back at the knee, or elbow, so make me sweat a bit. you don’t really realise you have them on after a while though. the knee pads dont really fit over your shoe, so you have to take your shoe off to fit the pad.

you can store all the pads inside each other so they will fit in your pack if there is any big fireroad climbs to grind up. i would buy some more, but make sure you go and try some on first.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The soft stuff is overpriced and high maintenance (speaking as an owner of VPD elbow pads). Needs body temp to work, can’t machine wash so after a week of dirt, dust and sun cream are going to hum and be a birch to try clean. G Form is half the price, thixotropic, packs small enough to fit in a pocket and is machine washable. New 661 EVO stuff also worth considering, their original stuff was clumsy and all the users I know of struggle with fit and staying in place.

Having bought POC arms I got G Form knees, and G Form arms for other half. Never tried the bone that northwind mentioned which I think are thixotropic VPD and a hard shell so a different kettle of fish.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Are POC pads all that?’ is closed to new replies.