• This topic has 31 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • are people really this stupid
  • anagallis_arvensis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19355959

Gove obviously thinks so and I suppose he may be right.

edlong
    Free Member

Are people really this stupid?

A bit of punctuation never goes amiss, especially if you’re on (or near) the grade boundary.

anagallis_arvensis

dont worry i have my grades already

kimbers

Just wait ’till hes home secratary imagine the damage he’ll be able to do then!

onehundredthidiot

Obviously, if anyone thinks the GCSE now bears any resemblance to those in ’88.

br
    Free Member

Head teachers are angry at a drop in the number of pupils who achieved at least a grade C in their English GCSE.

What, 0.4%?

I’d be more bothered that somehow nearly 70% attain a grade C or above, or have kids got brighter since I took mine in 1981?

headfirst
    Free Member

Oops, just seen this after starting my own thread. How embarrassing 😳

big_n_daft
    Free Member

you could argue it’s the reverse and it’s political manipulation that has seen the % achieving grades increasing every year up to this year….

doesn’t fit with the class war rehetoric though does it 🙄

Pigface
    Free Member

Well you think the Kiwis are scared of Gav so the answer has to be yes 😉

joat

The man’s an elitist snob who would like to stop social mobility by re-introducing O-levels, and probably secondary schools. I imagine he was bullied at school in the Gym changing rooms, and is now getting his revenge with his new powers. He’s a charmless chinless wonder if you ask me.

seven
    Free Member

as to the original question

are people really that stupid?

well…..

joat

Granted, that is better evidence than my rant seven.

Gorehound
    Free Member

I’d be more bothered that somehow nearly 70% attain a grade C or above, or have kids got brighter since I took mine in 1981?

CSE or GCE? there was no such thing as a GCSE in 1981.

anagallis_arvensis

you could argue it’s the reverse and it’s political manipulation that has seen the % achieving grades increasing every year up to this year….

doesn’t fit with the class war rehetoric though does it

I’d be happy to admit both are true, its just Gove told us that more people would fail, told the exam boards to fail more people and they did, but he now says he had nothing to do with it.

Well you think the Kiwis are scared of Gav so the answer has to be yes

Why do you think SBWilliams is off to Japan, scared to face a really man at 12 😆

Pigface
    Free Member

😆

avdave2

there was no such thing as a GCSE in 1981.

Exactly, it was proper exams back in 81 then they added 33% more letters to the exam title and so of course all the results went up by 33%.

br
    Free Member

CSE or GCE? there was no such thing as a GCSE in 1981.

Well maybe not the exact acronym, but a Grade 1 CSE was seen as equivilent to a Grade C at ‘O’ Level – had a quick Google but couldn’t find the relevant stats.

Edric64
    Free Member

But back in the 80s you looked down on CSE kids if you did O levels

Northwind

Every time the pass rate goes up, everyone declares exams are too easy. When it goes down, it’s also a problem?

Having said that, we were anticipating another increase this year so it’s a wee bit surprising.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Having said that, we were anticipating another increase this year so it’s a wee bit surprising.

Using the mark*year formula pass rates go up till we have to invent another A*# grade so we can tell who got the top grades.

Northwind

Yup. But, generally speaking the exam-pass forecasts we get have proved accurate (we use them to set entry grades to uni courses)

Spin
    Free Member

I like to post the statement below whenever there is a thread about the English education system:

‘However f*cked up things are here in Scotland I’m still glad I don’t teach in England.’

Other than that I’ve got nothing to offer but condolences 😉

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

When it goes down, it’s also a problem?

If it was just the exams getting harder and the pass rate dropping, and everyone knew in advance, then that would be fine. The accusation is that the Gove moved the goalposts after the exams had been sat, which is totally different and completely out of order.

anagallis_arvensis

really? Because Gove said it would fall and the exam boards wrote to schools saying it wpuld fall

Northwind

anagallis_arvensis – Member

really? Because Gove said it would fall and the exam boards wrote to schools saying it wpuld fall

UCAS admissions cycle starts a long way back, and the forecasts were all for the rising trend to continue. A paranoid person might suggest that something intervened to change this mid-cycle 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

have kids got brighter since I took mine in 1981?

Teaching has got a lot better though (good), and it’s more exam focused (bad).

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

who would like to stop social mobility by re-introducing O-levels

how does that work, then?

hels
    Free Member

Sonny Bill scared of Gav the Orange Muppet ?? My sides !! You continue to provide Rugby fans with entertainment Mr AA. You are almost as much fun as Quade Cooper.

Stuey01
    Free Member

edit: wrong thread – doh!

joat

TurnerGuy, I may not have thought it through properly, but the mere mention of Gove’s name makes my blood boil. But I believe you did O-levels OR CSE’s regardless of the fact that you might be a maths genius but can’t spell for toffee and were separated early on in your academic years. Wealthier and better educated parents are more likely to invest time and money in their kids early on to ensure they pass what was the 11 plus, thus ensuring better prospects later in life. White collar – blue collar jobs have become more blurred in the last couple of decades. And Gove gives me the impression at least, that he would like to return to this hierarchy, with him in a privileged position.

grantway
    Free Member

I remember years back doing my exams and asked a teacher regarding how the past rate was set
    and was totally shocked that if a higher rate of pupils past then the past rate was set higher.

But if the past rate was lower that year then the past rate was lowered
    What the Fudge is that!
    Every rate should be standard regardless of the success of a particular year.

CHB

grantway, its not a fudge. Basically its bloody hard to write an exam paper each year that is exactly as hard as the previous year. So the assumption is (and accross 1000’s pupils its a fair assumption) that the proportions of A,B,C etc remains fairly consistent. It drifts, but big swings from one year to the next are more likely due to an easier/harder paper than changes in education levels.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘are people really this stupid’ is closed to new replies.