Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Are new turbo trainers better than older ones?
  • pop-larkin
    Free Member

Right- with the dodgy weather I have dug my old (probably about 6 years old stored in a slightly damp garage) Elite turbo out and had a few sessions on it.

Although it gives me a work out I was wondering whether a new fluid type one would be a more realistic experience as I am experiencing an element of slippage and it’s a bit like pedalling a square (my wife’s comment after a quick blast)

In summary should I just make do or will the experience be enhanced by investing in a new piece of kit

tazzymtb

slippage? have you adjusted the roller on the wheel enough, if there’s a bit of slack you can get them to slip under power. check tyre pressure as well. If i don’t adjust my turbo properly it can do the same thing.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

That must be it- its all about my power!!
    What do you mean by adjusting the roller- I put a brick under it- does that count? What tyre pressure is best lots or little?

the-muffin-man

wrap some gaffer type around the roller.

peachos
    Free Member

yeah i bought an old one off here a couple of months back and the tyre slipped at the start. annoying as hell. gaffer tape works but you have to reapply every few sessions and sometimes when it starts to peel off mid-ride it will start to make some horribly noisy sounds.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Come on chaps- I thought I was on a safe bet here to justify my primeval urge to buy stuff and all you can come up with is pragmatic sensible solutions…tssk 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Are new turbo trainers better than older ones?’ is closed to new replies.