Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Are my wheels buckled?
  • stcolin
    Free Member

Hi all,

I had new wheels built about 6 months ago. Mavic 312’s, stainless DT spokes and XT hubs. I have a slight kink in the front and on the rear wheel, looking down on them from my riding position(rolling). It’s not a huge kink, so, could it be the tyre, or am I looking at a buckle in each wheel? I’m not a hard rider, but I guess that doesn’t exclude me from getting buckled wheels.

Are small kinks easily fixed by myself, or is it best to take to a bike shop?

Cheers

Colin

tinsy
    Free Member

Pop the bike upside down, spin the wheels and rest your finger on the frame or fork to steady it, point at the rim finger tip few milimetres from the rim you will see then if its the rim or the tyre.

If its the rim, then strip the tyres off and pop them to your LBS it should only be about 5-6 quid for a re tension and true, if they built the wheels for you its usually a free service once the wheels have settled down.

ourmaninthenorth

Colin – turn the bike upside down and spin the wheels. Look closely at the rims, to see if they move from side to side. A small wobble is fine. A big wobble is less so.

You can straighten them yourself. It isn’t the black art that many claim, but it will take a little patience.

ourmaninthenorth

Doh – started typing my response and then got distracted, only to find tinsy has posted just the same..!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Are my wheels buckled?’ is closed to new replies.