Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Are my lights old hat?
  • richmtb

So, I was doing a quick inventory of the lights I own last night.

I have a Hope 10W HID, a Cateye Double Shot, a Night Vision 4W LED, a Night Vision 15W Halogen and a Hope Vision One.

Its been a couple of years since I’ve ridden off road after dark and in that time lights seem to have moved on to the point where I can now by a torch off flea bay for a tenner that is as bright as my best lights!

Should I try and flog the old stuff and invest in a new main light and buy a couple of cheapo ebay lights for commuting / backup?

iainc

no more old hat than the rest of your kit Rich 😆

are we gonna get you out on an evening ride soon ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The 10W hid is still as bright as anything, the cateye could easily ( I think) be upgraded to later LEDs.

If they were adequate then they are adequate now. Next year LED tech will have moved on again

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Hohum
    Free Member

Do you use all of them at the same time?

You would end up looking like a Mod on his Lambretta/Vespa!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I wonder if LED tech will move on – maybe more efficient but brighter? Do we need more than 1800 lumens? I think not.

My new light should be with me early next week and I cannot wait to get it – the loan version has been brilliant (literally). Even on “low” mode, it can dazzle drivers.

Luminous 601

HIDs are bright but eat batteries too quickly.

I’m looking forward to proper LED headlights for mainstream cars.

richmtb

@Iainc, good one! Yes fully intend to join you all soon, dusting off the old lights was the first step, might go for a quick spin round Bothwell Castle tonight to see if I remember how to ride in the dark.

@Ho hum, I tend to stick with the Hope on the Bars and the Cateye on my helmet, other lights are commuting / back up. But once for a laugh I did stick them all on (two on contstant / two on flashing traffic) had quite an effect on traffic coming the other way!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

LED tech has moved on quickly. My 20 quid Cree Q5 chinese-ebayer mini torch was so much brighter than Mr MC’s cateye tripleshot he sold the cateye after one ride with me and bought an identical cheapo torch. With me riding behind him all he could see was his shadow and he initially thought his cateye was bust.

If you are up for it, if you have a look on candlepowerforum there are people upgrading double and triple shots with newer LEDs.

brassneck

HIDs are bright but eat batteries too quickly.

A 10W HID would eat a battery as quickly as a 10W LED, though I suspect with the new tech you’d get more light from 10W into a current emitter. I was getting 3 hours ish out of a ‘normal’ lumi battery, which I think is enough for most.I had a Lumi HID for a race or two on loan, cracking light then and now, rugged and powerful (unlike my trailtech one!) and makes bluebells flouresce nicely 🙂 – a team mate rode with the Hope and they compared well. I’ve always like the stem mount, very neat.

wwaswas

unless you’re being put in shadow by others brighter lights stick with the Hope Cateye Combo – it’s plenty bright enough and the batteries last for a 2-3 hour ride.

iainc

Rich – you will get more than enough light out the HID and Cateye setup for a club evening ride, but as others have said you will be in shade if others behind you have brighter stuff, which some folk certainly will. I’d stick with them for now, as you aren’t going to get a great return for them on the classifieds as viewed by many as ‘old hat’.

If after a few rides you are finding them limiting then get new ones on your ‘Santa List’ 😛

richmtb

Guess I’ll stick with my lights then, cheers for the advice

Iain – Lights are the only components where I still find myself lying about the price!

“300 QUID FOR A LIGHT!!!!!” You get the picture 😉

Will settle for a Santa bringing me a new jacket

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Rich – ahem – my 601 cost me £200 according to the missus. I winced as I told that blatant bit of BS. I feel bad and shall suffer from karmic misfortune for many years to come…

iainc

rich – luckily when I showed her the thread you hadn’t posted that up 😆

speaker2animals

ooo you don’t want to be using that old type of light. The new type of light is so much better.

richmtb

rich – luckily when I showed her the thread you hadn’t posted that up

What you mean she was actually in the office then, I’ve forgotten what she looks like 😉

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Bar mounted HID and helmet mounted doubleshot* sounds like an ideal combo. Does anyone really need more light than this?

* Ok it is a tad heavy…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Are my lights old hat?’ is closed to new replies.