Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Are my forks written off?
  • dannyh
    Free Member

I noticed today, mid-ride, that my rockshox recons were feeling very notchy. On closer inspection, I saw that the gold finish has completely worn through on a section of stanchion about the size of a 10p. There are other smaller patches as well. I do inspect the forks quite often, so this has come as a surprise. I think a seal may failed, leading to total loss of oil.

Is this terminal? I think the cost of new stanchions basically means I might as well get a new fork, or am I mistaken? I feel stupid for not realising this wear was happening. The fork is a coil u-turn, 85 – 130 mm.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nah, just get a seal kit and give them a service.

As they’re not air you don’t have to rely on a good seal for them to work.

Just keep an eye on them and maybe service the lowers more regularly

dannyh
    Free Member

P.S. just seen the other thread about this, seems I am not alone!

Is nail varnish then wet and dry sandpaper the best bet, then?

maccruiskeen

Is nail varnish then wet and dry sandpaper the best bet, then?

only if there are chips or scratches what will in turn tear up a new seal. If the coating has been polished through rather than flaked off or be be scratched then just leave them be.

dannyh
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips. In the meantime, I’ve fitted a pair of 100mm solo air recons from my previous bike. They’ve held air for nearly four years and seem ok.

They are an inch shorter crown to axle and the steered is an inch shorter, so the bars are now slammed down. Should sharpen the steering up a bit. I’ve never had the bottle to service forks before, but I’m going to have a crack at it.

b45her
    Free Member

Why do people worry about air loss on forks with worn stations?
    The air spring is on the inside of the leg, the seals just keep thee oil in and dirt out.
    As long as your not losing a load of oil and the bushes are tight just do an oil change and keep on using them.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Now, they are f00ked.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

How the **** do you get a rock up there? Shirley you would have to going backwards to get it wedged like that

dannyh
    Free Member

I’d have thought the forks would be ok in that pic. The wheel may have been a different story.

Northwind

The rock is fine, luckily.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Take apart both forks, the stanchions might be the same length. If so just swap over the internals.

robhenry85
    Free Member

recons are very simple inside, the lowers are just a spring in a tube. drop them clean them up change the oil and seals. that will make them as good as new 😉

dannyh
    Free Member

Robhenry85.

Are they really, really simple to do?

I’m not the best when it comes to this stuff. I can bleed brakes, service headsets, true wheels, that kind of level.

Also, I assume I need a seal and o ring set, damper oil, fork oil and some IPA. By my reckoning that lot will set me back about twenty quid?

No agenda here, I just want to know if I’m going to end up sending it to tf tuned anyway, just in pieces rather than complete!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Its just an Allen bolt in the bottom of each leg then a circlip and a 22mm socket to take the spring and damper out. Easy.

grum
    Free Member

I have a similar level of experience to you and managed fine with my coil pikes. Ideally you would get new seals but I think cleaning/lubing the existing ones and refilling the oil will make a world of difference probably.

robhenry85
    Free Member

i’d say your more then capable, look here http://www.bike-components.de/bedienungsanleitungen/2011/rockshox/forks/rockshocks_technical-manual2007.pdf
    or just google for a service manual, there is prob a youtube vid of how to do it, but its very easy

if your anywhere near Leeds i’ll give you enough oil and ipa and right size socket to do it 😉

dannyh
    Free Member

Nowhere near Leeds!

I ‘ll give it a crack and see what happens.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Are my forks written off?’ is closed to new replies.