Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Are my forks screwed?
  • Alejandro
    Free Member

Have a pair of Magura Durin Race forks, 100mm, 2009 model. The rebound on them lately has been really slow (like, really slow). I push the down and they take a few lazy seconds to come back up – obviously uselss in a riding situation (they’ve been taken off the bike and replaced with some carbon rigids for now – yikes).

This could have happened when I was playing with the rebound settings out on the trail. The rebound knob is now really stiff, impossible to turn by hand, and when I have managed to turn it a tiny bit with pliers it only moves a little and rebound is a tiny bit faster, but still too slow. Have I screwed them? Will a shop be able to sort them out or have they given up the ghost? Any answers appreciated.

jonathan
    Free Member

Almost certainly fixable, but these things do tend to cost a bit. Find a local Magura dealer or conact the UK service centre: http://www.racemechanic.co.uk/racemechanicshop/cat_490856-Magura-Fork-Service.html

Alejandro
    Free Member

Thanks for that link – just called them up. £90 for service and then if I have indeed screwed the rebound system by turning the knob too far it’s £100 on top of that 🙁 Don’t know what to do now. If it comes to paying £190 I may as well start looking for a new pair second hand!

jonathan
    Free Member

I’d spend the money – at least then you know that your forks are sorted. A secondhand pair could have all sorts of bad things hidden inside 😉

float
    Free Member

cant you have a go at taking them apart yourself?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

If it’s a cartridge rebound like my 2007 ones, then you can’t take the rebound assembly apart to fix it anyway.

Might be worth taking the rebound knob off (might need pliers for this) sticking the long end of an allen key in to replace the knob and gripping the short end with some big pliers to try and shift it anticlockwise. You only did it up by hand with a short lever, so take a bigger lever to it!
    This may of course destroy the cartridge, so don’t blame me!

They are ludicrously simple to service yourself anyway.. Worth a go, even just to keep the lowers clean inside.

Alejandro
    Free Member

I’ll have a go at servicing them myself. I’ve found some videos and documents, it looks fairly simple. Don’t know if I’ll be able to fix the rebound like that though…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Are my forks screwed?’ is closed to new replies.