Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Are Mavic Crossmax SX wheels worth it? (or should I get another RC car?) :-)
  • big_scot_nanny

So, I am a fat biffa, and not surprisingly I break bike bits (I am a relatively clumsy rider also). Currently have a set of the cheapest DH superstar wheels, they were just to get me going on my Mega as a “cheap” build. Built as a bike to cope with the more DH oriented riding (180mm talas on the front), but it is really quite a good fun trail bike as well (for really burly stuff).

Well, certainly very different to my 29er El Capitan.

The wheels are OK, but heavy, and keep going our of true.

I just sold my iPad and some other old electronics kicking about, so have £500 ish quid burning a hole.

Should I get a set of Crossmax SX in time for the bike parks opening this year?

Or should I get something else (for a fat clumsy bloke remember)? (e.g. Flows on ProII)

Or should I forget wheels and another RC car (1/5 scale brushless buggy is in my sights…)

Ta for the opinions!

Kev

dasnut
    Free Member

They aren’t so great. Pretty weedy. Get some 823s instead

jedi

i been using them for 5months and i think they rock 🙂

big_scot_nanny

Really? I thought they were supposed to be good (Jedi endorsed and everything!).

If I was to go for 823s as you suggest, any ideas as to the best place to get them?

Kev

big_scot_nanny

Sorry jedi, last post written in between you responding. Ta!

Kev

ScottChegg
    Free Member

My Pro2/Flows fell to bits, on the third ride.

My Crossmax’s haven’t in 2 years.

OwenP

Had mine since early 2010 (so not the latest version, but there isnt a huge difference as far as i can tell).

They have withstood some pretty nasty treatment, outlasting two broken frames, in return for pretty much no love from me. They have had a replacement freehub body this year, which wasnt expensive.

Still impresses my riding buddies with how light they are too. I know there are lots of other good wheels out there for less money, so i guess only you can decide if they are worth it. nice wheels, anyway.

Make sure you get them through a LBS and get the MP3 replacement programme if you can. Mavic can’t/ won’t offer this through online retailers as far as i know, and most mavic owners seem to think it is worth having.

big_scot_nanny

OwenP: top tip! Interesting love out there for these wheels. They are a bit PIMP though, which is my only concern! (but secretly really like…)

I don’t mind PIMP on my trail bike, but I am not good enough for flashy kit on AM/FR duties 😳

jedi

I use mine for all my riding 🙂

vikingboy
    Free Member

Crossmax SX solid wheels. Very happy with my set and much better IME than Stans Flow rims when run tubeless. The newer hubs are fine too. Also look at Easton havens which I rate too – or havocs if you prefer more meat on your rim.

scruff
    Free Member

Dont forget folks, Jedi is only 4’11 🙄

martinxyz
    Free Member

I have crossmax st’s that were 2nd hand. Probably used for a year and a half in total and I have never altered the spoke tension.Trued them a little about a year ago and that was it. Adjusted the rear hub a few times over a few years but its so easy to do. If the sx is of the same build.. then I would definitely consider them. I would buy another pair of st’s tomorrow if I needed new wheels.

The 29er versions are something I’d love to try.

jedi

Cheers scruff .

martinxyz
    Free Member

Wow,imagine how good he’d be if he rode a bike with wheels suited to his height ;O) 20″ or 24″? lol.

nicko74

But the verdict seems to be that yes, they are good, but you’d better hope nothing snaps/ breaks/ needs a replacement, as the parts are a ballache to get.

Something like a Flow on Pro 2 would have the benefit of having easy availability of spares; and they’re the same price as other Hope Hoops (correct?)

jedi

I came up short on a drop and wrote my rear rim off. Mp3 thingy soirted it in 48hrs

Gribs

If you want something that won’t break then try some 729’s on pro 2’s. They’re not light but you’d have to try pretty hard to bend one.

Euro
    Free Member

I doubt there’s a stronger wheel than a rear Halo SAS. A new pair would cost around £250. Not pimp (unless 48 spokes is considered pimp), just burly. Perfect for fat, clumsy biffas.

scruff
    Free Member

Tony- my pleasure mate 😀

jedi

I have seen more halo wheels ruined than anything. Doubletrack rims are the strongest by far

jedi

Scruff I’m 5-9. In heels. 😀

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Why not Deemax’s as a set can now be had for £400 and a bit.
    Seems like a no brainer as I was in the same position but opted Deemax cos they were even pimper in silver.

8)

jedi

The deemax are only 2mm wider iirc

big_scot_nanny

Once: where are you seeing deemaxs for 400 notes?!?! I can see a rear wheel for that, but not a set.

any links?

Ta muchly!

Kev

dans160
    Free Member

Mine have been a PITA but they are fast and light and the rims are tough. Expect to replace the bearings at least once per year (an easy job as it goes) and make sure you turn the nipples every now and then as the spokes sieze in them making it impossible to true the bloody things. Basically, my experience is that they are NOT fit and forget.

Deemax Ultimates are the same width as SXs FWIW.

Stu661
    Free Member

I have a set of the 2012 ones and they have been great, I also had a set of the older gray ones for two years and had very few problems with them.

If you get a pair of the 2012 ones before mid May I think you can sign up for Mavics MP3 cover for £1. That means if you bust a wheel during the 2 year cover period it will be fixed for free.

mr_mills
    Free Member

I’ve had some SXs since 2010. I’ve only had to true them (slightly) once and that was after a crash that broke my frame. The freehub fell to bits recently and that’s now been replaced with the improved one that the latest (white) versions come with.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Using google, ok so you may have to buy the f&r separate iirc but still pimper and more suitable for use biffers.

big_scot_nanny

Whoah there… google? I must try that! 😀

Where did you see this mucho cheapness? are DX doing Deemax and are they UV protected? 8)

I kind of want to stay to “proper” shops to get the MP3 doodah as highlighted above. Can’t really find a pair, individually or together, for less than 700 smackers.

If you have any pointers, would greatly appreciate.

Kev

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Well I am biased as I build wheels but I see noithing wrong with a eyeleted rim like the EN521 on XT hubs or hope with 32 Sapim Race spokes/brass nipples in a 3x pattern. It works well.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

You are obviously not looking hard enough on the results of google.

try the Big E and the big T for a set f&r for £423ish.

big_scot_nanny

onceinalifetime: cheers, appreciate that. In my defence I was googling deemax ultimates (honest! 😳 )

Just to confuse things, my LBS is recommending me DT-Swiss ex1750s. I always thought they were a bit crap?

Oh, the decisions!

Kev

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Had one of the 1st sets with the new style hubs,Bomb proof wheelset.
    I am 6ft2 and 16st and have used these for everything.

Awesome wheelset,Buy them you wont be disapointed and a very good weight

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I have a set for sale if anyone is still looking……….. 🙂

honourablegeorge

big_scot_nanny – Member

If I was to go for 823s as you suggest, any ideas as to the best place to get them?

The 823 and Crossmax rims are damn near the same thing.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Are Mavic Crossmax SX wheels worth it? (or should I get another RC car?) :-)’ is closed to new replies.