Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Are japanese cars more reliable than european/french cars?
  • bikemike1968
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    “You’re right, they can suffer from timing chain issues, which are expensive to fix. But most other cars at that age have timing belts- which are just as expensive to fix and more likely to fail.”

No they are not.

They are a service item, anyone who doesnt service their car – banger or not deserves all they get.

True, timing belts are a service item.
    But we are talking about a car worth a few hundred quid here. The chances of finding a car in that price range with a full service history including regular cam belt changes are very slim.
    Are you really going to spend £300 on a proper service with timing belt, tensioners and water pump on a £700 banger? You should, but no-one does.
    I’d rather take my chances with an old timing chain than an old timing belt.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The real peak of the Japanese car industry was in the 80s I reckon. It just took everyone else over a decade to catch up.

Mecanically perhaps, but there aren’t that many 80’s jap cars around due to body rot.
    They got that sorted in the 90’s (mostly) and our 99 Mazda 323 is still going well (i’ve cursed it now!).

molgrips
    Free Member

You know, they do conduct surveys for this kind of thing.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Have had a few Japanese cars, 2 Shoguns, Accord, Rav4, Yaris – all excellent with very little work required over many 100,000’s miles. Have had friends who’ve had issues with Nissans though, Toyota would be my pick for reliability. I am also a VW fan and have had numerous Golfs for example, not all trouble free but mostly minor issues such as batteries. My original Mk 1 Golf needed new front wings but those rust problems are history now. If it where purely reliability question I’d buy Toyota.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would say that I’ve had 101k miles from my Prius in 8 years without so much as a blown bulb, but that’d be tempting fate so I won’t.

chewkw
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

I would say that I’ve had 101k miles from my Prius in 8 years without so much as a blown bulb, but that’d be tempting fate so I won’t.

I want a 1.8 Toyota Auris hybrid but cannot afford it now. 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Auris looks good, especially the estate. The Yaris is also good and cheaper still. Love driving their hybrid system.

tonyg2003

I’ve had 3 accord estates over the last 10yrs. Never had a single electrical issue on them and only one problem really. The second diesel one blew a turbo. I’m not convinced too much about the reliability of Japanese diesels (but modern diesels don’t fit into bangeromics). Our current accord 2.4 petrol had to have some oil this morning for the first time. Aside from routine servicing that’s been it so far in 3years. Not a single other issue.

chewkw
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Auris looks good, especially the estate. The Yaris is also good and cheaper still. Love driving their hybrid system.

Many years ago I would go for small car but I guess I rather like medium compact car now. Auris looks good especially if there is hybrid estate but cannot afford now.

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Are japanese cars more reliable than european/french cars?’ is closed to new replies.