1. Rover Metro. Fell apart around me but much of that was probably my fault. Not well built though.
2. VW Sirocco GTII. Only had it a short while and don't want to talk about it, I loved that car
3. VW Golf 1.8GL. Had it for around 3 years and 20,000 miles. Solid and not much went wrong.
4. Citroen BX1.9GTi. Plastic rubbish! The engine finally went pop after just about everything else had failed.
5. Subaru Forester Turbo. Rear suspension failed, lots of electrical failures, some engine failures. Not a good example.
6. Toyota RAV4. 4 years and 100,000 miles, virtually nothing went wrong and passed every MOT. Wow! Sold it to my sister and it's still going strong.
7. 63 plate VW CC GT. Had it since September and already clocked 15,000. Not a whisper of an issue. Awesome car.
So, from my experience I can summarise as follows; UK and French cars are awful, good Japanese are superb, poor ones not so, VW are on the whole extremely good and sometimes awesome. Oh, the Forester was a 2000 and the RAV4 a 2002, can't remember the others.