Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Are humans meant to be monogamous?
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Humans are driven by instincts, those instincts are tempered by their conscience. It depends how well you can empathise with your partner as to whether you’ll cheat, and whether the relationship you’re in is what you actually want or if its what you feel you “should” want.

surfer
    Free Member

Humans are driven by instincts, those instincts are tempered by their conscience

I suspect behaviour based on instinct is minimal. Our behavior is more based IMO on our surroundings and prevalent social pressures.
    I don’t think their is a Darwinian explanation for modern behavior.

Nick

It’s not survival of the fittest anymore, at least not for western society. There’s no risk, child death rates are way down, food is cheap, we’re top of the food chain, nature tries to contain us with the odd new disease but we seem to cope and deal with them pretty well (not much stops us before we can reproduce anyway).

Instead it’s survival of the fattest, waist and wallet, as we attempt to out compete each other for useless shite.

Imagine how **** up we’d become if they did manage to extend life significantly further!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I suspect behaviour based on instinct is minimal. Our behavior is more based IMO on our surroundings and prevalent social pressures.

Disagree – I dont feel the need to do anything due to social pressures, other than refraining from committing serious crimes and not sleeping around. Under everything is your instinctual desires – your desire for rewards and thrill seeking, your lusts and sexual instincts etc. The only reason you dont always act them out generally is because its not “acceptable” by society. Doesnt mean your general life isnt guided by them. No longer do we marry a partner just because the people around us say we should, despite the fact that we no longer find them attractive etc.

I dont think we’re missing natural selection, I think we are performing it on ourselves – we are only natural ourselves. People like to separate humans from animals but we are only animals – the only difference being that we are aware of the damage we do to others. Nature couldnt get us by inventing diseases, instead we’re coping with all the defects and “allowing” the defective to breed (basic human rights). We’re living too long and producing more faulty people due to having kids when older. We arent really reaching the point where the earth can’t cope, we’re just not using the resources the earth has properly, so ultimately we’re going to continue on until the number of genetic cock-ups causes us severe problems and we either have to stop helping them. We wont all die out due to climate change, we’ll just move and kill each other due to having to use other peoples land etc. Eventually our numbers will reduce to a much smaller level and we’ll start to grow again. this happens in dozens of species (minus the carign for the ill/old), they consume their resources until there are no more, they die out and a few survive, resources come back, species continues.

surfer
    Free Member

The only reason you dont always act them out generally is because its not “acceptable” by society

I think that is what I said.

I think we are in agreement regarding Darwinism. We control our environment to such an extent natural selection is less relevant.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Are humans meant to be monogamous?’ is closed to new replies.