Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Are Hope XC hubs quiet?
  • patriotfr
    Free Member

Just built my first wheel, a MTX camo 24″ 36h laced 3 leading 3 trailing on a Hope XC 36h 135 hub.

Its far quieter than my other MTX Camo 26″ 32h on Hope Pro 2.

Are the XC hubs quiet anyway or do I need new pawls and springs and less grease?

nbt

XC hubs are quieter than pro 2s, for sure

Onzadog
    Free Member

Nbt hits the nail on the head.

patriotfr
    Free Member

Thanks nbt and Onzadog.

It sounds like a Shimano freewheel cluster. I can live with that was hoping for louder but I don’t mind a quieter hub on the hardtail I’m building, a Dr Jekyll with 26″ front 24″ rear. Just ordered the 24″ ADS dropouts as the tyre is close very to the chainstay welds but that was handy for truing the wheel.

Need to decide what forks, thinking either Revelation Air U-Turn or Identiti Rebate XL Jump Fork 10mm or 14mm as I have a 14mm axle with a converter to fit a 20mm Pro2.

Might try new pawls and springs an a little less grease as it got old springs and a lot of grease in there at the moment. My Pro 2 has new pawls and springs and just a smear of grease, nice and loud.

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

Yeah, try regreasing it.

The pawl/spring assembly on ANY hub should not be completely packed with grease, otherwise you end up with what happened to my mate. dirt and gunk got in and made the grease so thick the freehub wouldn’t engange.

With these you need just enough to lubricate the parts.

If the pawls and springs were worn, you’d be able to tell by opening the mechanism anyway.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Less grease = more ‘click’

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Are Hope XC hubs quiet?’ is closed to new replies.