Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Are geared full suspension bikes really that hard to ride ?……..
  • sofaking
    Free Member

…………as on the last few rides i did in Wales most people seem to be pushing them up climbs and walking them down the other side ?

retro83
    Free Member

Yep, you rigid singlespeeders don't know the half of it.

wwaswas

mm, that's odd.

My experience is that people tend to either push up or walk down but rarely both

singlespeedstu

Good work there Matt.

emac65
    Free Member

No, but then neither are all SSers riding gods like they claim to be,but most are still virgins…..

sofaking
    Free Member

No, but then neither are all SSers riding gods like they claim to be,but most are still virgins…..

nothing wrong with saving yourself for the right person(big hairy bloke)

ooOOoo
    Free Member

pushing/walking saves wearing out the pivots

sheldona
    Free Member

Its because they are skill compensators not fitness compensators!

tracknicko
    Free Member

is it because they are blinded by the sun shining out of the arses of all the rigid/ss crew?

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I guess it's a similar question to "why are there so many judgemental people on the trails who care more about what others are riding/doing than the joy of riding itself"

🙂

timraven

All the gear no idea, I think it's called 🙄

Always amazes me how many people at Exmoor Explorer take their shiny bikes for a walk in the country.

sheldona
    Free Member

Sofaking IS a riding God though and the sooner people realise and get out of his way the better

swallow
    Free Member

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

singlespeedstu

Sofaking IS a riding God though and the sooner people realise and get out of his way the better

That might be so but even he goes a bit mincey when he get's his longtraveltrailbike out.

Oh and I don't think he's a virgin either as I'm sure he hold me he bumbed the 'tollah the other day.

thekingofsweden

Oh i see everyones in the house today.

Lights the blue touch paper ……………………… and waits !

It did get a bit tiresome being held up on Saturdays ride because i was led to believe that suspension and even gears were most definately an advantage whilst going uphill or down for that matter, maybe the gravity is different in Wales ?

🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

pushing/walking saves wearing out the pivots

Obviously all running kaesae's bearings 😉

well i was speaking to someone that knows someone that knows the Ayatollahofniche and apparantley him and his mincey friends cant ride for toffee.
    they mince about drinking and chatting on the trails laughing at other trail folk then try to ride their ego chariots like gods when they are just mere mortals

K

It is a well known fact that if you ride a full suspension bike too fast you will die until you are dead. I know I have seen it happen!

votchy
    Free Member

But how many of you have witnessed the seesaw of truth? Long live the wok smuggler 😀

soobalias
    Free Member

littlegirlbunny – Member
    I guess it's a similar question to "why are there so many judgemental people on the trails stw who care more about what others are riding/doing than the joy of riding itself"

its the IT geek/Midlife crisis factor

whytetrash

Actually the power of gravity in Wales has been devolved to the Welsh Assembly Govt…now we all know that essentially to get involved in politics you have be some kind of power crazed, self obsessed, depraved sexual deviant…so it's quite likely there are a few single speeders in the Sennedd :lol:…perhaps they've been messing with gravity!..ps passed plenty of one geared deviants pushing/mending chains on the Dyfi!

epicyclo

Any fool can ride a full suspension bike.

The problem is they do 😆

(Runs and hides on another forum)

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

surely you've undone the cool ive-been-in-the-sport-ages-and-know-much-better-than-you factor of a rigid singlespeed by riding it at a trail centre which is designed for any idiot that can follow an arrow.

to be properly cool you need to ride it at some top secret local trails that only you know about, but then post pics of on the internet.

Andituk
    Free Member

Maybe they were pretending to be ramblers, hoping to avoid being bored to tears by a conversation about how much gears are such an unneccesary complication and how back in my day we all rode rigid bikes and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

MrNutt
    Free Member

perhaps they were bankers lost whilst returning via ferry from france?

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Some hilarious replies…I thought folk bought singlespeeders as a ready made excuse for hopping off on the climbs…

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

mmmm -seems I've got this a bit wrong – I tend to ride my geared FS up hill and downhill & I do the same on my rigid SS – often the same hills (although not at the same time – clearly) – so is it the road bike I should take for a walk?

oh what tyres for bike walking?

monkeychild
    Free Member

What's a bike?

steve_b77
    Free Member

If I SS a bike with gears what will happen to me?

sofaking
    Free Member

you will.
    grow facial hair
    become superior to all others on the trail
    talk about gear ratios a lot
    other people will point and laugh
    you might get to talk to Sheldon (if your very lucky)

steve_b77
    Free Member

sofaking – Member

you will.
    grow facial hair
    become superior to all others on the trail
    talk about gear ratios a lot
    other people will point and laugh
    you might get to talk to Sheldon (if your very lucky)

Wife won't like the first one.
    Really, I'm definately doing it then!!
    Waht become more of a geek 😳 ?
    Nothing New
    Who is this Sheldon you speak of 😆

Andituk
    Free Member

You can achieve a similar effect by just not changing gear, although the nichers won't understand and will get all confused.

SMcDU

Given that Sheldon died two years ago, 'lucky' might not be right word… 😕

unclejimmy
    Free Member

You can achieve a similar effect by just not changing gear, although the nichers won't understand and will get all confused.

indeed

i transformed my iron horse 9 speed hard tail into a single-speeder in a matter of seconds, simply by snapping both gear cables. by virtue of my laziness I have been a single speed commuter for a over a month now.

conclusions – its ok, but i dont really get what all the drama is about. its just a bit annoying going downhill and you cant peddle any faster.

sofaking
    Free Member

Given that Sheldon died two years ago, 'lucky' might not be right word…

not Sheldon brown

if you don't know the Sheldon i speak of , where have you been hiding ?

singlespeedstu

if you don't know the Sheldon i speak of , where have you been hiding ? You're very lucky

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Are geared full suspension bikes really that hard to ride ?……..’ is closed to new replies.