Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Are freehubs interchangeable and anyone know what kind of hub Planet X AL30 is?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Just been told by Planet-X they aren’t doing 11 speed freehubs for their Model B / AL30 hubs any more.

I want to use these wheels with an 11speed groupset, so does anyone know who the actual manufacturer of these hubs is, so that I can attempt to find my own replacement.

(Can’t believe they’re made for Planet-X alone!)

I already have the wheels and don’t want to have to buy a new rear wheel or even a pair.

dobo
    Free Member

I’m prety sure they are novatech and i think they are hub model F172SB.

I have pro lite merano and planet x model b and (without taking the planet x apart) they appear to look the same.

I have rebuilt the merano hub though.

I do not know if you can get an 11 speed free hub for it though but would be interested to here back if you find it.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thanks Dobo, a quick search on ebay and it doesn’t look like there is much availability of the hub let alone the freehub.

I’ll keep looking and let you know if I purchase anything to try.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    velomechanic
    Free Member

As has been said, they’re Novatec.

BDop Cycling Co. (in Taiwan) seem to stock the freehubs.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thanks Velomechanic.

I’ve just looked and there it says

NOTE: You can NOT change a 10 speed hub to an 11 speed hub.

Presumably the 10speed hubs were designed way way before they even thought 11 speed would happen one day.

Ah, well, looks like may be new wheel time.

velomechanic
    Free Member

mtbtomo,
    I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. According to a post on this subject on Weightweenies which quotes an email from Bob Dopolina (BDop) then “I’m sorry to say that no Novatec hubs can be converted from 10spd to 11spd as the 11spd freehub is 1.85mm longer than the 10spd.”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Are freehubs interchangeable and anyone know what kind of hub Planet X AL30 is?’ is closed to new replies.