• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by juan.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Are Formula K18's strong enough for freeride AM riding?
  • pimpmyride
    Free Member

I'm really finding it difficult to decide between Formula Oro K18's and Mono M4's

They are to go onto a Giant Reign X1 for trail centre rides and a trip to Morzine.

The Mono M4's are the black and gold version and will have standard hoses and 180mm rotors front and rear.

The Formulas will have goodridge hoses, straightline levers, sintered pads and 200mm front and 180mm rear rotors.

Which will be more reliable, and have the best power and modulation and be descent proof?

Iv'e always had Mono M4's but have had problems with sticky pistons and leaks but the power has always been awesome if a little squeeling in the wet! iv'e had K24's on my Bullit and they were simply amazing!

From what I can tell the K18 is the same power and reliability as the K24 without the bite point adjustment yes/no?

The K18's look well nice but I can't help thinking that they are just a cross country brake and not up to freeride all mountain riding on the Reign.

Comments from users of both brakes would really help my decision 🙁

grahamt1980

I use K18s for DH on my miniDh.
    Did the mega on them and I reckon that would kill any lesser brakes

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Formulas would be more than capable.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pimpmyride
    Free Member

So the fact that the mono are twin piston and the K18's single does that still mean they are going to be plenty powerful?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

With the right rotors, sintered pads and goodridge hoses they'll be mustard.

ton

k18s stopped me nicely on various trips to the lakes……dolywaggon and nan bield in particular……….. 8)

djglover
    Free Member

yep, definitely

pimpmyride
    Free Member

So would you all have the Formulas over the Hopes then?

Vortexracing

k18's here, worked well enough on the fort bill DH track

Diawl
    Free Member

Did the Mega with Oros and they were more than up to the job. I had my doubts at first but was so impressed I got a pair for my HT too.
    ETA I had only ever used Hope brakes before and would recommend the Formulas.

langy
    Free Member

yes.

not used hopes for such a long time, couldn't tell you more comparitive details, but k18s are fine for what you describe; mine have been great as is with 160mm rotors front and back – the hose and pad option you describe with those bigger rotors should make them forgettable, in a good way, once riding.

nasher
    Free Member

my K18's regularly do about 3000m vert almost everyday without a problem, infact I prefer them to my formalua the one's!!!

My mate boiled up his mono 6's!!!!

Only problem is that they are a bitch to bleed.

jackal
    Free Member

Go for the formulas…

I had a hope 6 pot front and m4 rear (both second hand) for the mega a couple of years ago, not really that impressed, i too boiled the 6 pot front (alot better once i'd flushed thru and bled with dot 5.1)
    I did it the year after on some bog standard oem cheapo avid juicy 5's and found these better 😯
    Currently running hope tech x2's on my cotic, seem ok for the money, really nice lever but not mega powerful (more of an xc brake anyway).

Was set on getting some formula 'the ones' on my dh bike for whistler but they had none in stock anywhere in the uk, so ended up getting the new saints (£300 all in with 203 rotors and adaptors from merlin, pretty good i thought).
    BTW if they've still got good deals on the new xt disc brakes you could go for them, easily good enough to be fitted to a dh bike (so more than powerful enough for AM use) and very light too..

'Hope' 😆 that helps.

juan
    Free Member

What is freeride AM riding?

jackal
    Free Member

What is freeride AM riding?

Gnarly, dude…

😆

grumm
    Free Member

Freeriding done before lunchtime?

monkeychild
    Free Member

[/quote]What is freeride AM riding?

I was wondering the same thing too? 😆 So many labels so little time!

jackal
    Free Member

Freeriding done before lunchtime?

😆

juan
    Free Member

lol at gruum…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Are Formula K18's strong enough for freeride AM riding?’ is closed to new replies.