Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Are Formula K18’s any good?
  • pimpmyride
    Free Member

Thinking of putting them on my Cove Stiffe as the frame is black and the formulas are black so should look great 🙂
    Was gonna fit Mono M4’s but something happened with them 🙁

Whats peoples thoughts on K18’s, I know they are the bottom of the range Formulas but does make any difference in performance?
    Oh if it makes any difference they are 2008 version brakes, with 200mm rotors and braided hoses, would they be as powerful as my old black and gold M4’s?
    The M4’s were great but always squealed like a mad pig!!

fbk
    Free Member

I’ve got K18s on my HT. Plenty of power for single finger braking and good modulation (185 front, 160 rear). Only problem I’ve had is serious brake judder on the front – might just be my set up though.

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Ok thanks, do they feel well built and look good in the flesh as iv’e only seen a picture of the ones i’m possibly buying?
    What bike do you have them on ie is it an xc or all mountain setup stopping alot of weight (don’t take that the wrong way!) 🙂

ton

got em on my cove stiffee, seem pretty good so far.
    plenty powerfull.

nickc

Honestly, it makes so little difference these days you may as well chose by colour. You can pretty much buy from any of the major manufactures (Hope, Shimano, Magura, Forumla, Hayes) and get yourself a decent set of brakes, the technology is so well established enough for it not to make a huge difference.

Vortexracing

I think they are great.

I see your watching e bay like me 🙂

I need another set, any takers

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Vortexracing, 🙂 yeah they be the ones buddy!
    Not worth that much though are they?

Vortexracing

no, not considering Merlin get them in at £140 (although you do need a longer front hose)

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Longer hose? what do you mean mate? 33″ is about 840mm isn’t that plenty for a hardtail with Pikes?

pimpmyride
    Free Member

EDIT! sorry vortex just looked on Merlin and seen they only come with 750mm!
    Out of stock though mate but the others are 200mm rotors and braided hoses and mint so maybe they are worth £180?

fbk
    Free Member

is it an xc or all mountain setup stopping alot of weight

Don’t worry, none taken 😉

I’ve got them on a Commencal Supernormal so XC HT but it gets a bit of thrashing and I’ve never felt under braked. They’re perhaps not as well finished as some more expensive brakes – a bit of play in the levers etc, but they feel pretty solid.

They do lack the “Bite point” adjustment of the more expensive levers if that’s important to you.

fbk
    Free Member

They were also the reason I upgraded the Mono Minis on my full sus – they showed pretty effectively how poor the MMs were 🙂

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Thanks guys for the advice, hey Vortex just made an offer of £150 posted which I think is a good buy considering the braided lines, 200mm rotors, and condition being mint! what do you think mate?

Vortexracing

looks like you got em.

I’ve just looked on ebay and the item is ended.

If you did get em for £150 as long as they are mint, it’s a good deal.

BTW if you don’t like em i’ll have em off you 🙂

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Hey Vortex, yeah I won them for £150 posted!
    I think its a good deal, especially as merlin are out of stock and won’t be getting any more in at that price and CRC are doing them at £90 each with standard hoses and no rotors!!
    Bargain tastic 🙂

bonj
    Free Member

Only problem I’ve had is serious brake judder on the front

i sometimes get that and it’s always ‘cos the pads need replacing

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Are Formula K18’s any good?’ is closed to new replies.