Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Are expensive scart leads worth it??
  • kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

I have a Panasonic Viera HD TV,no HD DVD or owt though!

Is it worth getting a good (£20-£30) scart lead. Will it impove the picture or is it a con? I have a lead that cost about £ 5 at the moment

The picture is very good to me but I have been told a good lead will improve it alot?

What you recomendations?

pumpanani
    Free Member

i think they did a test on the gadget show about expensive v cheap scart leads and there was hardly any difference.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I replaced a cheapo scart lead we had in the tv in the kitchen with an ‘expensive’ one as we were having a lot of problems with electrical interference, new scart lead solved the problem.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i bought some ‘better’ scart leads a few years back when we got a dvd player. they were 20quid down to a tenner i think from argos. there was a marked difference between those and the cheap standard ones supplied.

whether there would be a diffrence again between those and even more expensive ones i don’t know.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Better in what way? Picture quality? Interference?

GrahamS

Some cheapo SCART leads only have 10 of the 21 wires connected.

These will only give you a Composite video signal rather than the superior RGB signal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scart

robdob
    Free Member

The best thing to do would be to check out a couple of magazines e.g. What Hi-Fi and the like. Some leads cost £50 and can be rubbish, but sometimes manufacturers sell one for £20 that is amazing value for money and makes a real difference. You don’t really know until you use it but the magazine reviews do at least give you a fighting chance.

Don’t assume more £ equals better, its not always true. I would always make a point of not going to places like Currys/Dixons/Comet etc as they tend to sell leads from big names that simply lood nice and shiny with weird colour leads but may not be better at all.

It SHOULD make a difference, but choose wisely!

GrahamS

By the way, I am not advocating buying a £200 lead made from unobtanium with gold connectors and unicorn tears.
    Just make sure you get one that is fully connected and has decent shielding. <£25

nukeproof
    Free Member

Got some nice QED ones and I think the quality was better with them.

TooTall
    Free Member

As mentioned up there – use another method of connection if you can – scart is a bit pants.

robdob
    Free Member

Grab yourself a Blu-ray player and a HDMI lead and then you’ll notice a huuuuuge difference. Even my wife notices…. 🙂

Muke
    Free Member

Thanks robdob

That brings me onto my question ….

Are expensive HDMI leads worth it ??

I’ve seen them from £5 up to £150, although I’ve still got another 4 weeks b4 my new HD TV arrives anyway.

CHB

I think cheap HDMI are better than expensive SCART.
    Best thing we did when we got our new big telly was to buy a £50 upscaleing 1080p Sony DVD player and connect with HDMI.
    Unless your leads are over 1.5m then I think the benefits of posh leads are minimal.

Macinblack
    Free Member

Our electronics guru at work says it’s how they are made not what they’re made of. He laughs at the mention of gold connectors.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Are expensive HDMI leads worth it ??

Thought I read it didn’t make the slightest difference as there was an error correction process in the system?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Are expensive scart leads worth it??’ is closed to new replies.