Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Are Enduro events worth it?
  • bgascoyne
    Free Member

Thinking it would be fun to do a couple of Enduro events this year. However when I look at the actual amount of “real” riding time you get it comes out to be about 20-25mins. For instance the Southern Enduro Champs. 6 stages – max 4 min each – so 24mins approx. Taking travel etc in to the mix and time “away” the effort to ride ratio is pretty bad! What are peoples experiences of these events. I guess the atmosphere adds to fun but it seems like a lot of investment for such a short riding time? I guess you get more time with the practice runs thrown in, but still…

jam-bo

you know you have to ride between the stages right?

most of the time of most rides in most places is spent riding between the fun bits.

jamesfts
    Free Member

If you like racing and the venue is good then yes, well worth it.

If you’re of the “I could ride their any other day for the price of parking” mentality then no but that’s kind of missing the point.

Has been done to death on here in the past.

kimbers

jam bo – Member

most of the time of most rides in most places is spent riding between the fun bits.

this!

it will be a brilliant event/race

Rubber_Buccaneer

Try pedalhounds, their first event of the year goes on sale tomorrow morning and involves (I think) three runs on each stage so more riding (maybe, this is the South East so I’d expect pretty short stages)

Of course you could spend the same money on an uplift day, depends whether you want to do an event

Northwind

If you like that sort of thing, yes. If you don’t, not so much. It can be an expensive game with travel, accomodation, inevitable breaking of bikes from time to time but worth it for me (I basically didn’t go on holiday in 2016 because I spent that money on racing, totes worth it)

But if you want more duration, sign up for the endurance dh, you get about 1.5-2 hours of descending out of that, good vfm. And the event lasts long after that because it takes a couple of weeks to grow back all the skin.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

If you’re of the “I could ride their any other day for the price of parking” mentality then no but that’s kind of missing the point.

Has been done to death on here in the past.

No, not really – however I do think the attraction of events should be that you get to ride on at least some tracks/areas that are normally closed or not accessible on an average day.

What – there are no up lifts… ;-)!!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Have a look a the dyfi enduro

orena45

Better than a DH race…all that travel for a 3 minute ride. Dunno why anyone bothers 😉

kimbers

No, not really – however I do think the attraction of events should be that you get to ride on at least some tracks/areas that are normally closed or not accessible on an average day.

that is a bonus but there is still a huge difference between an enduro race and just having a mates ride,
    In a race doing a big loop and along the way having to hit some technical sections absolutely flat out pushes you beyond what you would normally do, especially towards the end, thats where the endurance part come in

Trimix
    Free Member

Worth is very subjective. If you come last, cant ride the techy bits and break your bike, probably not.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Taking travel etc in to the mix and time “away” the effort to ride ratio is pretty bad!

DrP

Pah..not if you’re ‘doing it right’ you don’t…wink wink…

DrP

Tracey

As a spectator, occasional helper and mum of a competitor they are worth every penny. We have also managed to ride in places where otherwise we may not have gone. This year I might even try one.

The smiles you see on the racers faces at the end sums it all up.

The Les Orre’s last year was mostly lift assisted.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Just to let you know the Southern enduro champs will be at least 5 hours out on the bike over the 2 days. If you want any info just ask, happy to answer any questions.

Simon

For me totally worth it. I’m old and slow but I love the buzz of enduro racing.
    Give it a try you might like it!

bgascoyne
    Free Member

Give it a try you might like it!

Totally up for it. My question was/is actually genuine. Its not a dig at Enduro at all. I haven’t done one before so was interested in people’s experiences. Some very valid points above and food for thought. I think I will give it a go and find out.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Never done an enduro race but done some other racing. Its worth it IMO, puts you in a different mindset, usually great atmosphere, discover new trails etc etc..

Plus its good to see how you measure up against other riders…usually badly in my exp..

TheBrick
    Free Member

I want to try one this year.

Are the timed sections pretty much a short Dh course? Fullface a body armour Or more like a fast bit of Dh in a xc course? Fast and still technical but not at the same level as from a Dh course.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Who needs to race for real when there’s strava

(Screw racing, screw strava)

Northwind

TheBrick – Member

Are the timed sections pretty much a short Dh course? Fullface a body armour Or more like a fast bit of Dh in a xc course?

Varies a lot but body armour (well, other’n normal type kneepads and maybe elbows) isn’t really suitable. Trails tend towards the technical and treacherous rather than 60mph through the speed trap full balls dh, if you know what I mean? First enduro I ever did, everyone was worried because one of the stages was all innerleithen dh trails. Then, it turned out it was the easy stage, because it was predictable- good surfaces, fairly straightforward. Whereas the offpiste stuff was slippy and unpredictable and didn’t always feel like bikes were supposed to be able to ride it 😆

I’d say the average enduro race I’ve done has been technically more difficult than the average dh race (of which I’ve not done many to be fair). An SDA at innerleithen tends to pretty much go down a waymarked DH trail, an enduro at innerleithen tends to go “LOL, let’s make them ride down this”

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes.

Next question.

smatkins1
    Free Member

You can go do normal rides the rest of the year.

Sure the time spent racing is short. But as soon as you’re 3 minutes into a race run I bet you’ll be pleased it isn’t any longer!

Some of these Enduro races are a great way to ride some trail you would never otherwise ride. You’ll possibly meet some old and new friends. You get the opportunity to learn a few things from watching faster riders and the day might just plant a seed of motivation when you possibly realise you’re not actually very fast.

The money is only a small fraction of what you spend a year on this cycling malarkey, but I bet this day racing stays in your memory the longest.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you want the most racing for your trip do a solo 24….
    Enduro is different, more racing than dh and racing a track is not like riding it no matter what you think.

Garry_Lager

You just have to do one and see what you think, it’s 100% worth trying out.
    For me they’re not massively worth it (although I like doing the odd one to remind me what proper technical riding looks like), and I think it comes down to the difference between bike racing and time trialling. The appeal of bike racing needs no explanation, but for time trialling where you don’t have the tactical, dynamic dimension it’s a different game. One sign it wasn’t really lighting my fire was finishing towards the back and not really being grabbed by the motivation to improve, which I think you need at least a little bit [and I do have for other types of time trial].

So basically get involved, lash your bike down the hill, and see what you think. If it’s ‘Goddamn that was great, sign me up for the next one’ then it’s working for you.

TheBrick
    Free Member

On a related note do you get more than one run on a Dh event? All I guess at a “black” level?

scottfitz
    Free Member

TheBrick – Member
    On a related note do you get more than one run on a Dh event? All I guess at a “black” level?

Depends on the level local grassroots stuff tends to be 2 race runs and red ish level DH runs.

National/regional tends to be 1 run and black or above.

kayla1
    Free Member

The Northern Downhill DHs (they call them TTs) are mostly on trail centre reds and you get a couple of race runs after however many practices you can wedge into the time allowed. The Eastgate TT last year was on natural stuff you can’t usually ride and it was awesome.

edit- they’re good fun, mostly. If you have a crap day then they’re bobbins, obviously, but you sharp bounce back and get yourself entered into the next one after promising yourself to do better next time… I can quit any time I want though, it’s not in control of me 😕

edit again- I fancy having a go at an enduro but 1. I’m lazy and prefer to push up big hills and 2. I have no mates 😆

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Are Enduro events worth it?’ is closed to new replies.