Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Are Elixirs better than Juicys?
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

Getting my build ready for the Mega. Lots of new bits bought and I looked at my Juicy 7s and thought: shall I get a set of the new X7 or X9 Elixirs? Some bargains around at the moment!
    Any thoughts?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

No. They are all garbage. Cheap though.

Moonhead
    Free Member

They are cheap but I wouldn’t say they are total garbage. If you can’t afford anything else they will do you well enough.

Had Juicy 5’s, Elixir R’s and on new bike Elixir 5’s. Not one problem with the R’s…the Juicy’s were OK but fiddly to get right, replace pads etc.

I’m starting to not like my Elixir 5’s, seem to take a bit of fiddling to keep them right. Easy to bleed though.

They are noisy, it rained when we were out today and they sounded awful. Could be the superstar pads…. Having said that my mates formulars we just as noisy.

They seem to have good modulation once set up.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Deveron53
    Free Member

So what’s the best value/performance brake out there? I find Juicys quite easy to set up and only had problems with old pads. Shall I just get some new pads and keep them? I have matchmakers which is one reason why I want to stay with SRAM.

rustler
    Free Member

Calling them garbage is a bit unfair.
    Have both at the moment. Wouldnt say the Elixirs offer any more braking power than the Juicy’s. (When they are working correctly). 😕

Hope Tech X2’s are the best brakes I’ve ever had. Would buy them again if funds allowed. 😥

anto164
    Free Member

Elixir CRs are fantastic brakes. (I upgraded from elixir 5s so as to get a bit more adjustment) and they’re great.

It’s just that people are brandwhores and hate everything else than what they own.

I’ve had Avids for the last 3 years and found them better than the hopes i had on the bike previous. But that doesn’t say that they’re any better than any other make, just that i like the feel, power and modulation of elixir CRs.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im liking Shimano M595s or current XTs.

timc
    Free Member

To answer the OP’s question, yes they are deffo better! had both & Elixir are a marked improvement!

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Whoever says Garbage doesn’t know what they are talking about.
    Take a bit of care setting them up and they are small neat and powerful.
    Sensibly designed and offer everything you need with no more.
    Majority of todays hydraulics are attrociously over engineered. Who needs magnesium calipers that save 10 grams of weight? People just go on price rather than product.
    Cannot go wrong with Elixir brakes and merlin cycles had a deal on them at one point

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

They are garbage. I have had several sets of both. I class them as disposable items now. They do not last any time at all if used heavily. Pistons seize on juicys and master cylinder seals go on elixirs.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the cairngorms for multiple years and do easily 15k of heavy riding a day,
    not a fault, people just blame the product for there own uselessness

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Elixirs are good brakes at a brilliant price with more than enough power! The brakes you should be slagging off are hope tech 2’s! Now they are garbage! Look nice but no power what so ever!!!

timc
    Free Member

So what do you recommend Zulus??

I have m4’s on my Big Bike & Elixir’s on HT, tbh i think both a great, Elixir’s are very powerful for 160 rotors.

I got a brand new set of elixir 5’s from STW classified for £80 delivered, cant go wrong with that!

jambon
    Free Member

Garbage??????

I’ve had Juicey 5s on my Reign for years and they’re awesome. So good I got some elixir Rs for my hartail, equally good. They’re both good. Silly amounts of power, good pad life and p@@s easy to set up. What’s not to like???

Garbage = Hope Minis and Mono Minis.

Ringo
    Free Member

never had a problem with my elixirs they just work and well

rs
    Free Member

good to hear some positives, just ordered some elixir 3’s with 203 rotors after about 4 years with a set of juicy 3’s. they have been great but are finally starting to play up a little.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Brakes are brakes, u get used to them. Use what you fancy

rudedog
    Free Member

brakes are overrated.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Ant Elixir X7 deals at the mo?

shedfull
    Free Member

Elixirs are very much better than juicys, as they don’t suffer the piston seize, are very much easier to bleed and seem to always give much more consistent braking power. The pads are much less of a faff to swap, too.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Are Elixirs better than Juicys?’ is closed to new replies.