Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Are Electric quads/motocross bikes any good?
  • quintet100
    Free Member

My 10 year old son wants to buy a 36v 800w motocross bike, fine.
    He is selling all sorts of things to fund the purchase (DSi, Tablet, xbox) he also has his own money. The bike is £370 and I dont want him to waste his money.
    Any Experiences?
    Thanks in advance.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Where is he going to use it ? Got a big garden ?

Illigal on the road , illigal on the pavement , cant just rock up to wasteland or woodland and use it there , must be private land with owners permissions. once it goes over 15mph it comes under the same rules as petrol bikes.

I remember the year all the parents of young kids on my parents street thought it a good idea to get their kids cheapo ebay pit bikes for xmas .

They were all battering round the park on them ,what a racket. didnt take the cops long to come along and start writing them up.

quintet100
    Free Member

Umm, yes garden use really. But I didn’t know about the 15mph rule.

almightydutch
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy a cheap one, the only decent small lecky bikes I’ve seen are the Oset Trials bikes:

Linky: Oset Bikes UK

This would then allow your kid to ride like Chris from Superbike mag:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REeeYtp-8qE[/video]

shermer75
    Free Member

That Chris from Superbike Mag as rather good, eh? Good work by Oset to get one of those Regents Park mansions as a location as well- it’s like Fort Knox round there!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Illigal on the road , illigal on the pavement , can’t just rock up to wasteland or woodland and use it there , must be private land with owners permissions. once it goes over 15mph it comes under the same rules as petrol bikes.

Not entirely sure what the law says, but doesn’t the 15mph limit apply to electric/pedal type bikes? Not sure what the limit is for purely electric bikes, I suspect they’d be classed the same as Mopeds (i.e. tax, insured, MOT, licence, CBT, not till your 16 etc).

How much do you trust him not to get bored in the garden and take it down the street?

simon_g

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

As said, illegal everywhere except private land. Bad idea unless you have a very big garden and trust your 10 year old to not leave it.

totalshell

technically a very grey area…

certainly common place for folks to use leccy buggies on the pavement road if not legal its common place and i ve never seen one pulled kerbside by the dibble

equally not uncommon for your kid to play in thier electric toy car on the path out in the street

no2 daughter is mad for an oset and i m happy for her to have one i have trials bikes as is but mum insists its all kosher before she gets one goes out in street and gets her collar felt.

suspect its going to take a test case one way or t’other

trail_rat
    Free Member

What speeds do those buggys and kids toys do totalshell ? If they were speeding about like that oset on the pavement i suspect you’d get a visit quickly

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

no2 daughter is mad for an oset and i m happy for her to have one i have trials bikes as is but mum insists its all kosher before she gets one goes out in street and gets her collar felt.

suspect its going to take a test case one way or t’other

Presumably it’s as much a grey area as any other unregistered (type aproved, insured, liceced[rider]) trials bike caught on the road/footpath. i.e. the rider gets their collar felt and the bike gets crushed.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Are Electric quads/motocross bikes any good?’ is closed to new replies.