Viewing 16 posts - 121 through 136 (of 136 total)
  • Are electric cars really greener
  • aracer
    Free Member

Absolutely. Only thick people think that though.

Lots of thick people drive Priu.

hilldodger
    Free Member

…Prius and other eco models are only a very small step…

Exactly!
    'We' are not going to magically move from hydrocarbon-guzzling raw material-hogging machines to super clean transport in one jump.

OK the Prius may not be the solution but it's certainly an improvement not least because it takes 'environmentally friendly transport' from the domain of the tofu wearing green freaks into the public consciousness.
    Green or dirty, our economy is always going to be consumer led – anything that raises awareness/enthusiasm will make each subsequent step easier…

molgrips
    Free Member

Lots of thick people drive Priu.

Lots of thick people drive cars mate, not just Priuses.

Another point about all these cars that are somewhat greener is that they need to sell in order to encourage the markets. Don't forget the normal everyday diesels people are talking about 20 years ago were weirdo eco cars. Only because some people bought them were the manufacturers able to develop them and now they are a major contribution to reduced fuel usage; we're on here talking about 50mpg instead of 35mpg.

One of the reasons I bought a 104g/km Prius was to support the technology. Overall it was a success and now there's an 89g/km Prius available, which is still selling well. Toyota are now working on a range of hybrids including a small Yaris sized one, which will be interesting.

clubber
    Free Member

OK the Prius may not be the solution but it's certainly an improvement not least because it takes 'environmentally friendly transport' from the domain of the tofu wearing green freaks into the public consciousness

This is the key IMO. Cars like the Prius (right or wrong) are seen as an alternative and do make people think. Lentil-wearing, sandal-eating greenie-crusties going on about coasting/etc are too easy to sideline and ignore. Even if the execution of the Prius isn't right (eg it's not actually greener) it's a general step in the right direction of acceptance of non-hydrocarbon (only) cars.

CHB

hilldodger, molgrips and clubber have summed it up perfectly for me in the above three posts. It's about accepting that we have a transport tech transition to go through. Some people will want to be early adopters, others will wait until there is no other choice. Me, I like to be ahead of the curve so will be keen to get a rechargable electric (or hybrid) when they are available.

Wiredchops
    Free Member

Good points, reminds me of a show I heard regarding energy saving light bulbs the other day. So many manufacturers desperately trying to make them look and operate like existing filament bulbs. So much inertia in the consumer market. They could be made any way they like, to be more effective etc. but they're constrained by the willingness of the consumer to accept change. "I have to wait two seconds for my bleedin' bulb to turn on!"
    "Why can't an electric car be exactly the same as a petrol one but run off of leccy?"
    Amazing how little change people are willing to accept.

aracer
    Free Member

Amazing how little change people are willing to accept.

It does of course depend whether the change is neutral or negligible as you're suggesting, or actually seriously inconvenient (which is I suspect how most people would feel about having to stop overnight to recharge half way up to Scotland).

cookeaa

It All sounds like “Blue sky” Bullshit now to me if I’m honest…
    We are told all the answers are coming, Low carbon modern living is always, it seems, just around the corner…

The only real workable “here and now” answer to reducing CO2 is to actually use less energy full stop….

All the talk of incremental technological advances to effectively try and let us live the same lifestyles we do today with a bit of offset guilt are pointless.
    Whatever the Car of the future may or may not be most people are still driving the Car of today, and pretty inefficiently too, I’m a prime offender this morning I drove 20 miles in a petrol powered vehicle weighing about 2 tons on my own, to an office where I have currently got no work to do, and later I’m going to drive 20miles home, that if I’m honest should be a crime, I’m sure I’m not the only one wasting resources so needlessly…

The fact of the matter is that just about everything we do these days produces more CO2 than it should do; I eat Imported food, I drive an imported car made of materials themselves mined, refined and exported to the manufacturer, I burn Imported Gas to keep me and My family warm in our under-insulated Home, and I waste Energy using a computer for fruitless activities like posting on various forum’ and looking at shit I don’t really need to purchase on the internet…

I’m not going to make excuses I’ve fallen into Bad, wasteful habits and I know I’m not the only one. The only real way to pollute less is to literally Do less, be more efficient in your day to day energy use, Car pooling is a start, Cycling and Walking more will help, Growing some of your own food, Insulating the Loft and wall cavities in your home, low energy Bulbs, watch less TV and have a conversation instead. We all know 100 ways to reduce our “Carbon Footprint” yet instead people get all excited over little wisps of information on the “Car of the Future” which, when it gets here, will probably only save a Net ~5% in total Energy use over the car of today, a saving you could probably make right now by leaving your current motor on the drive once a week and cycling…

Buying another overpriced Tin box that claims to run on carrot juice is all well and good, but I think in all honesty the real answer is to scale back energy consumption thus requiring us to burn less fuel…

Wiredchops
    Free Member

or actually seriously inconvenient (which is I suspect how most people would feel about having to stop overnight to recharge half way up to Scotland).

Although this is a step removed from the very small inconveniences I was relating to but it's along the same lines. I may be in a minority but i regard it as a pretty incredible privilege to be able to jump in a car and expect to be able to go wherever the hell we want non-stop. Anyway, a journey the length of the country is a pretty extreme example of car use. Most people I know could use an electric car without even realising considering their average journey length.

As has been pointed out ad infinitum, it all depends on what lengths we're willing to go to lower energy wastage/use. These lengths vary wildly and I would suppose that not many people would take the sacrifices necessary to mitigate fossil fuel usage to the levels claimed. (I would include myself in this number just in case you had yourself poised to jump down my throat).

cookeaa

As has been pointed out ad infinitum, it all depends on what lengths we're willing to go to lower energy wastage/use. These lengths vary wildly and I would suppose that not many people would take the sacrifices necessary to mitigate fossil fuel usage to the levels claimed. (I would include myself in this number just in case you had yourself poised to jump down my throat).

If that’s the general consensus then as a species we’re probably ****…
    A society too lazy to make what are effectively pretty simple changes to what has become over the last 50 odd years probably the most Decadent and wasteful way of living in Human history, probably deserves to be wiped out…

Wiredchops
    Free Member

cookeaa,

Although in my darker musings I might be persuaded to agree, I generally think that we can adapt as a species but not through any inherent right or even ability. We'll change our behaviour when environmental pressures dictate that we have no choice. I cynically think that political pressure is never going to be sufficient. Man has always tended to live to the limit of capable means. When these means are reduced, mankind will follow.
    Sorry for dragging this a little ot 😕

CHB

Yes cookeaa, I think you are a little fatalistic there.
    Of course there is a chance you are right, but if you proceed on the "we're doooomed! and everythings futile" train of thought then you start acting like a grumpy EMO.

glenp
    Free Member

One idea with electric cars in the future is quickly swapped batteries – you drop into a service station and swap them quicker than it takes to fill with petrol. In that model you don't actually own the battery itself – bit like Calor Gas bottles. Obviously the car itself needs to be designed to suit, but a good lateral idea all the same.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cookeaa.. you are right, that brings us back to the problems of conventional economic growth. Economies have been based for decades on the idea that we make more things and make more money – the only problem with that is that it requires more and more resources and energy. The thing is now that we are beginning to depend on things that needs lots of energy ie the company I am now working at depends on people for thsi project who are having to drive 1-2 hours each from different places. To start substantially reducing our production we would either need a depression that'd make the great depression look like tiddlywinks, or a radical rethink which I think is currently beyond us as a society. Although I do believe we'll get there at some point.

The point you make about leaving the car in the drive one day a week instead of getting a more efficient car is nonsense tho. You should leave it in the drive one day a week AND get a more efficient car. People tend to think that if they make a saving, then that's ok – but you need to make ALL the savings you can, even if it means cycling to work every day and only using your fuel efficient car at weekends.

Personally I'd telecommute at the drop of a hat, if I could.

aracer
    Free Member

Most people I know could use an electric car without even realising considering their average journey length.

I suspect most people might not be too happy if the range of their car was based on their average journey length.

The thing is with all this "we need to change our behaviour" stuff is that even if we all drove electric cars (including all the new car buyers in China) AND they were as environmentally wonderful as some people seem to think, it would still only make a tiny difference. Not really that useful an area to concentrate resources on.

cookeaa

Perhaps I'm being fatalistic, But I really Can't see how peoples energy use will change anytime soon, entrenched expectations …

You're Right Molgrips we do have an economy geared towards consumption, Growth driven by unsustainable consumption is what primarily drives our Economy at the moment, if all the talk of a "Low Carbon Economy" is to come to anything then I think Businesses that manage to offer goods and services which actually do the opposite; actually capitalize on opportunities to reduce consumption, need to be encouraged, some true innovation is required, not just repackaging the consumer world we already live in with the strap line "Low Emissions" thrown in for good measure.

Viewing 16 posts - 121 through 136 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Are electric cars really greener’ is closed to new replies.