Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • are disco brake pads worth a punt
  • firestarter
    Free Member

anyone ?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They are OK. Worth it if you're skint, but no better than Superstar. Well, not on my Maguras anyway.

29erKeith
    Free Member

I recon they're good
    Used the sintered ones on Shimanoe, Giant and Hayes Brakes

MrTall
    Free Member

I've used them and have been happy so far. Just swapped the nearly new pads off my XT brakes for a set and the Disco pads are just as powerful and nowhere near as noisy.
    They do several different levels of pad from £5ish to £10ish so you don't have to buy cheapy cheap ones if you don't want to.
    So far they havn't fallen off the backing plate yet like my superstars ones did on the Pink Heifer descent in Wales…..

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Discobrake pads are all I use on my bikes. I was converted after I brought a load to take out to the Alps with me and only ended up using the pair I fitted before I went, even with it being one of the wettest years they'd had for a while, turning the usual dusty trails into a run through grinding paste.

They may be the same as the ones Superstar sells but they don't seem to come with anywhere near the same amount of attitude.

clubber
    Free Member

They may be the same as the ones Superstar sells but they don't seem to come with anywhere near the same amount of attitude.

And not to mention the underhand tactics of posting on forums pretending to be a Superstar customer when it's actually the guy who runs it…

Disco all the way.

firestarter
    Free Member

lol cheers

justme
    Free Member

website please g

Tracey

We used a set in the Alps this year to compare against Hayes ones as it gets expensive running four bikes. They were as good as the originals for stopping but didnt last as long.

Tracey

bent_udder
    Free Member

Another vote for Disco here – very quick delivery, and the medium compound pads seem to do the trick very nicely. I do tend to bed new pads in before riding, and these are nice and grippy after a bed in and a couple of miles. Not had a duff pair yet – although I've not got through too many after a year with them on two bikes.

[edit] Also, they're so cheap, you might as well give them a try anyway. [/edit]

Del

i'm using and happy. and it means you don't have to give your money to a d1ck for cheap pads… 😀

sootyandjim
    Free Member
    tracknicko
    Free Member

had no problems at all. 3 different kinds of brakes too.

allyharp

I wasn't impressed at all with the set I used for Juicys. They're shaped differently and don't seem to fit as well, and actually wore down quicker than the Superstars I used around the same time!

I should add that I've since discovered that sintered Superstars last miles longer than the standard ones – so I should assume the same goes for discos which might make them worthy.

clubber
    Free Member

allyharp – are you another fruit alterego?

(JOKE!)

allyharp

haha see the above edit. I think it's just that the standard compounds on both are pants for my local mud. I'll give disco another try once my current pads are dead.

At the moment I'm running avids in the front and superstar sintered at the back to try and compare how they last comparatively.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Disco brakes pads are great, so are their carbon forks.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘are disco brake pads worth a punt’ is closed to new replies.