Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Are death and taxes the only certainties in life?
  • frankconway

Any thoughts?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think Donald Trump disagrees on the taxes front….

frankconway

Ha!

aP
    Free Member

Disappointment.

funkmasterp

Ageing

metalheart
    Free Member

Three things:

Taxes, death and TROUBLE….

Drac

Death, taxes, ageing and Jamba & Ninfan ruining a thread.

teasel
    Free Member

Jamba Molgrips & Ninfan mikewsmith ruining any Apple thread

breadcrumb

Brex*t being mentioned in a thread.

househusband

Change is one of life’s constants.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jwv5oQPlrbw[/video]

hot_fiat

#3 Flat roofs leak

thestabiliser
    Free Member

punctures

garage-dweller

New mountain bike “standards”

saxabar
    Free Member

If we’re all living in a simulation as Nick Bostrom and Elon Musk are suggesting, is death (or life) certain?

maccruiskeen

I’m beginning to think one of the few things I can be certain of is:

– The worst cup of coffee you can buy in any town will be sold by a cafe called ‘The Coffee Pot’

The other thing I’m quite certain of is that I’ll never be as certain about anything as Jamba is about everything. 🙂

oldnpastit

If we’re all living in a simulation as Nick Bostrom and Elon Musk are suggesting, is death (or life) certain?

We’re not.

If we *were* living in a simulation, then as the world’s population increased, more and more computing power would be needed to keep up with it, and eventually they would run out of compute budget (effectively fuel to power and then cool this vast machine).

As a result, they would have no option but to reduce average intelligence. And that hasn’t happened has it?

maccruiskeen

As a result, they would have no option but to reduce average intelligence. And that hasn’t happened has it?

Dunno

richmtb

If we *were* living in a simulation, then as the world’s population increased, more and more computing power would be needed to keep up with it, and eventually they would run out of compute budget (effectively fuel to power and then cool this vast machine).

Your are assuming that everyone you intereact with is fully functioning simulated human.

Hundreds of people you never meet but think exist could just be replaced by much simpler bots. Pretty sure this place is full of them

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You not being following world events for the last ~20 years?

😉

Richie_B

Disappointment.

I think that is profession specific 😉

franksinatra

#3 my puppy weeing on the floor in excitement when I come back in the house if I have been away a while (even when the rest of the family have been there and she has spent ages out in the garden)

Mackem

Falling off my bike

yunki
    Free Member

why do we insist on only resting in peace…. why can’t we live in peace too?

P-Jay
    Free Member

househusband – Member

Change is one of life’s constants.

This, whenever I feel the fear of change breathing over my shoulder, I remind myself ‘the only constant, is change’.

Slightly perhaps, more philosophical, the only certainty is death. Sadly, quite a few people die before their first day on earth is over – long before the tax man comes calling.

I think we Westerners sometimes suffer from living in the past, or living in the future.

The past doesn’t exist, it’s not real, ask 3 people what happened 20 mins ago and you’ll get 3 different answers. We all remember things differently, we all remember different things and that’s all the past is, your interpretation of something you only half remember and your mind has tailored for you. Too many people live in this made-up world, reminiscing about when things were better, things were easier and things were fairer.
    The future doesn’t exist either, it’s even more fictional than the past. We all expect to live to 90, we all expect to be wealthier, we all expect to be happier – too many people live in the future – waiting for this magical time to arrive – Christmas, Spring, a Holiday or whatever – some people say things like “I wish I could sleep till spring” or something like that – but 5 people (on average) will die today in the UK on the roads alone, how sad would it be if their last day on Earth was spent not enjoying it, but wishing they were at some made-up point in a future they didn’t have.

So there’s no point living for the past, it’s not real.
    There’s no point living for the future because it’s not real.
    The only certainty is that one day you’ll die, maybe we go to Heaven, maybe we leave the simulation or maybe we just blink out of existence – the but only thing that’s real is the here and now, so enjoy it.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

The Sun will still rise tomorrow…

franksinatra

This, whenever I feel the fear of change breathing over my shoulder, I remind myself ‘the only constant, is change’.

Slightly perhaps, more philosophical, the only certainty is death. Sadly, quite a few people die before their first day on earth is over – long before the tax man comes calling.

I think we Westerners sometimes suffer from living in the past, or living in the future.

The past doesn’t exist, it’s not real, ask 3 people what happened 20 mins ago and you’ll get 3 different answers. We all remember things differently, we all remember different things and that’s all the past is, your interpretation of something you only half remember and your mind has tailored for you. Too many people live in this made-up world, reminiscing about when things were better, things were easier and things were fairer.
    The future doesn’t exist either, it’s even more fictional than the past. We all expect to live to 90, we all expect to be wealthier, we all expect to be happier – too many people live in the future – waiting for this magical time to arrive – Christmas, Spring, a Holiday or whatever – some people say things like “I wish I could sleep till spring” or something like that – but 5 people (on average) will die today in the UK on the roads alone, how sad would it be if their last day on Earth was spent not enjoying it, but wishing they were at some made-up point in a future they didn’t have.

So there’s no point living for the past, it’s not real.
    There’s no point living for the future because it’s not real.
    The only certainty is that one day you’ll die, maybe we go to Heaven, maybe we leave the simulation or maybe we just blink out of existence – the but only thing that’s real is the here and now, so enjoy it.

you forgot to mention puppies weeing on the floor

stewartc
    Free Member

Mod Revivals, although the next one seems to be delayed a little, is Paul Wellar ill?

trail_rat
    Free Member

oldnpastit » As a result, they would have no option but to reduce average intelligence. And that hasn’t happened has it?

You not being following world events for the last ~20 days / Us presidential election….. years?

saxabar
    Free Member

Which world and where? We’re betting against our future selves and the home of Descartes’ evil genius: planets, materiality, processing capacity and fuel mean little there!

aracer
    Free Member

Rain

Cougar

Arguments on STW.

frankconway

@cougar: Ha! But seriously – arguments? Philosophical discussions and intellectual discourse surely.

alanf
    Free Member

Weather. There’s always some about somewhere!

Vader
    Free Member

Life

It won’t turn out the way you expect

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ruining any Apple thread

Keep forgetting they are a positive news love in only affair…

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Still can’t help himself…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sorry did I upset another fanboi?

neilthewheel

Another series of Just a Minute.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Sorry did I upset another fanboi?

No.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Are death and taxes the only certainties in life?’ is closed to new replies.