Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Are CX and 29er wheels compatible?
  • mcboo
    Free Member

Am due an upgrade on the wheels that came on my Genesis Vapour Disc. I think a cross bike will take 29er wheels right? Would like to have 29 in case I ever need a quick replacement wheel for my 29 hardtail.

Are 29 wheels actually the same size as 700cc road wheels and would my road tyres fit?

Thinking about Crests on Hopes as a good wheel for CX and mtb but would a Crest take a road tyre like a 28mm?

honourablegeorge

I have Conti CX tyres on crests on my roadrat – not sure if they’d go down to a 28c though, they’re relatively wide rims.

tk46hal
    Free Member

I have 28mm Marathon plus on a pair of Crest 29er rims. Work great!

mcboo
    Free Member

And a pair of 29er wheels will fit on crosser frame right?

wwaswas

Depends if frame is built for 130mm hub or 135 and how much spring frame has. Generally need right hub width for the frame though.

tthew

Depends if frame is built for 130mm hub or 135 and how much spring frame has

Is this really true? Look at 5mm on a ruler, and then divide that by 2 seat/chainstays. I’d have no qualms about interchanging a 135 and 130mm frame and hub combination.

edit – and yes, 29er and 700c rims are the same diameter. Clearances you’d have to measure up between your frame and chosen rim, but with a CX frame it’s unlikely to be a problem.

teasel
    Free Member

I use a 130 in a 135 frame and haven’t had any issues in about 6 years of use and abuse.

wwaswas

I suspect it’s 135 for a disk frame anyway but I wouldn’t want to be regularly levering carbon stays apart to shove a bigger hub in there, for example.

tthew

Fair enough. Steel, aluminium and carbon are all elastic to varying degrees. With the amount of flex you would get over a stay there’s no way you’d approach that limit* so my largest worries would be that the wheel may be a bit of a pig to insert and you may get chainline issues.

*completely unscientific guesswork that I’m not going to investigate further.

andytherocketeer

Think many are even 132.5, so they can swing both ways. Be surprised if the frame was 130mm with disc.

mcboo
    Free Member

Wheels I have are Shimano M475 hubs…..think thats 135mm?

mcboo
    Free Member

The Alex rims I have are 24mm, only 0.4mm narrower than Crests…..should be fine.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Are CX and 29er wheels compatible?’ is closed to new replies.