Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Are cravings a sensible way to know what to eat?
  • palmer77
    Free Member

I did a fairly big ride at the weekend (highest paved road in Europe) and all the way home craved beans on toast. Today I had some Greek yoghurt and coffee for breakfast, salad with feta for lunch and really craved some buttered toast, is it my body trying to tell me something?

jam-bo

pregnant?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I drove my car into work this morning and then demolished a packet of Oreos.

So no.

fifeandy
    Free Member

No idea if its sensible or not, but yes when I have a particularly strong craving for something after a hard ride I usually indulge it.
    Its usually one of 3 things for me – pizza, chicken, or very occasionally coke.

palmer77
    Free Member

pregnant?

You’ve seen me in Lycra?

Del

occasionally coke.

with or without hookers?

weeksy

Satisfying the cravings is the only reason i’m riding 700km a month !

zelak999
    Free Member

I often get back after a ride craving salted crisps and peanut butter.
    I like to think its my bodies way of replenshing the salt thats been lost and wanting some protein.
    I quite often fancy eggs too.
    Maybe i’m just a weirdo.

philjunior
    Free Member

Generally, not really. After a big ride, yes, eat what you want til you’re full or go to sleep.

Pyro

Don’t get many, but there’s a few I’ve picked out over the years.
    The only time I ever want crisps is when I’ve been out on a long hot ride or run, so I take it as my body saying I need the salt.
    Tea cravings usually mean I’m dehydrated.
    Pizza cravings mean I’m bored.
    Kebab cravings mean I’m drunk.

ton

veleta?

palmer77
    Free Member

@ton, yep 4 hours up 30 mins down!!!

ton

that is some going.

rode up it with the ctc on a andalucia tour, many years ago.
    I was a fit young slip of a lad then. took us 7 hours up and down from the campsite.

palmer77
    Free Member

Flippin hard work. Legs were ok, and the gradient was never really that bad but the heat and the altitude really took it out of you!

teasel
    Free Member

eat what you want til… go to sleep.

Excellent – eat until you pass out. Totally hardcore approach…! 🙂

OP – did you eat the beans on toast once home or did you demolish something else? If no then I reckon that’s why you craved the toast. If not, **** knows. Perhaps you’re a conduit for the desires of those suffering the Atkins diet…

tillydog
    Free Member

I often get back after a ride craving salted crisps …
    I like to think its my bodies way of replenshing the salt thats been lost…

The only time I ever want crisps is when I’ve been out on a long hot ride or run, so I take it as my body saying I need the salt.

There was a fascinating (no, really) interview with Professor Graham MacGregor on R4 recently on the subject of salt and our “need” for it. I’ve heard the ‘salt is bad…’ message many times, and thought …meh/, but he is very knowledgeable and convincing:

The food we eat is the greatest cause of death and illness worldwide. The main culprits – salt, sugar and fat – are now so embedded in our diet, in the form of processed foods, that most of us consume far too much.

Yet Professor Graham MacGregor doesn’t believe it’s up to us to reverse this situation. It’s up to the food industry, he says, who manufacture the processed foods, to take the ‘rubbish’ out.

Now Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine at the Wolfson Institute of Preventative Medicine, Graham MacGregor has spent much of his career campaigning tirelessly to persuade the food industry to do just that – to reduce these demons in our diet – firstly salt, and now sugar.

And he’s had remarkable success. As a nation we now eat thirty thousand tonnes less salt each year than we did fifteen years ago, saving the NHS a staggering £1.5 billion per year.

Blood pressure lies at the heart of this huge saving and, as Graham explains to Jim al-Khalili, blood pressure is not a natural consequence of ageing. High blood pressure is simply a consequence of too much salt.“

I urge you to listen and make your own minds up:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08n2ltq

…but otherwise, I’ll just eat as much as I like of whatever I like after a long ride. The key is not to keep on doing it when the long ride is a distant memory 😉

palmer77
    Free Member

teasel – Member
    eat what you want til… go to sleep.
    Excellent – eat until you pass out. Totally hardcore approach…!

OP – did you eat the beans on toast once home or did you demolish something else? If no then I reckon that’s why you craved the toast. If not, **** knows. Perhaps you’re a conduit for the desires of those suffering the Atkins diet…

POSTED 19 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

I did, three slices with cheese underneath 🙂

I think it may have had something to the 4500 cals I burnt off!!!

tillydog
    Free Member

I did, three slices with cheese underneath

UNDERNEATH!!?? You heathen!

On top, and browned under the grill is the proper way 😉 😀

What you had was cheese on toast with beans, not beans on toast with cheese…

palmer77
    Free Member

tillydog – Member
    I did, three slices with cheese underneath
    UNDERNEATH!!?? You heathen!

On top, and browned under the grill is the proper way

Nooooo!!! Underneath with lots of butter to form a delicious fatty substrate between the beans and the toast 🙂

dufusdip
    Free Member

Cheesey beanos requires bubbling cheese on top with black pepper and a drizzle of jus de heinz de tomate.

user-removed
    Free Member

No way. Cheesy beans on toast needs lashings of Tabasco Sauce.

Anyway, the only thing I ever get genuine cravings for is pickle. Branston sort of stuff and Picalilli. Could eat half a jar with cheese and crackers no bother when the pickle-mist descends.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Are cravings a sensible way to know what to eat?’ is closed to new replies.