Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Are clutch rear mechs any good?
  • renton
    Free Member

Looking at getting a new chain and rear mech and was thinking of a clutch mech but don’t really know much about them.

Are they any good compared to a normal mech and are they worth the extra money?

Where is best to get either an slx or xt mech and chain cheap?

Thanks

Steve

mcnultycop

Get one. Less slap and simple 1x with a narrow wide chainring.

chestrockwell

I got an SLX clutch mech on my new bike and it defo gives a smoother ride then the non clutch XT I had before. Worth it IMO.

Nick

Got one on my new bike, haven’t noticed any difference

Northwind

Much quieter on my ht and dh bike (single ring). Not such a massive difference on my dual ring bikes but I did away with the chain device on the big bike and it doesn’t miss it.

boltonjon

Makes your thumb force for gear changes a little tougher, but well worth it for the extra chain retention and eliminates the dreaded chainslap on your stay

Well worth the money

naffa
    Free Member

I wouldnt be without one now. Go for it

mashiehood
    Free Member

Yes.

Nick – you do know they have an ‘on – off’ switch!

rOcKeTdOg

they are no worse than non clutch

Northwind

I think the resistance thing more or less depends on what you like. It’s fairly noticable on my mate’s xtrs but then, they are horribly resistance-less normally. On my Saint shifter and my X9s it doesn’t feel that different, presumably because they already have a decent amount of resistance and clunk.

So if you like that “oh no the cable’s snapped” disgusting vague Shimano feel, it might be a downside. If you like a shifter that you can actually tell something’s happened, less of a thing.

(opinion-presented-as-fact warning!)

Goldigger
    Free Member

I wish they did a 9 speed clutch rear mech!

Northwind

You can stick a Shimano 10-speed clutchy on a 9-speed SRAM shifter, just needs a wee spacer. Using this on 3 of my bikes, lovely.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Can I stick one on my 9 speed XTR shifter?

dantsw13

Try ribble for good prices on a shadow+ mech.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Do you set them up different to normal? Clutch on or off etc?

I’m going to be doing one tomorrow so any info/tips would be great.

dannyh
    Free Member

I’ve got a zee mech teamed up with a raceface narrow/wide (32 tooth). Dropped chain once in three months (yesterday grrr). I’ve increased the clutch tension a tad, so hoping will be alright.

Basically they are excellent. Chain retention is superb. Chain slap non existent. It’s great reaching small pedally bits on descents and just knowing the chain will still be on.

It’s only been three months, but so far it has been brilliant. The shifter is ace as well, much more ‘gunshot’ than my old slx shifters.

I am going to stick the granny ring back on for big days as my legs aren’t up to the 1×10 thing on longer and hillier rides. I reckon I can cope with the shame of manually changing the front ring to have the ‘get out of jail’ of a granny ring when fatigue or cramp set in.

Shorter cage = less chance of twotting it on rocks as well. A good thing given that the initial change was semi enforced by a mech going into my rear wheel and bending my (integral to the frame) mech hanger!

Northwind

Goldigger – Member

Can I stick one on my 9 speed XTR shifter?

Nope, sadly not- well, you can but it’ll shift like a bag of arse.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Yes. Mix them with a narrow wide and I can’t even get the chain to come off on my rigid.

rewski
    Free Member

Xtr shadow clutch rear mech is the nuts, paired with direct mount mech makes for super snappy gear change, impressive.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers peeps!!

Where is cheapest for a slx one then?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I can’t get things cheaper than at ribble lately.

damascus
    Free Member

Yes. I like mine. Made a big difference, no chain slap and doesn’t fall off anymore.

If you find it makes the shifting harder open it up and slacken off the cam.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Can you use a 10 speed xtr clutch mech with a 9 speed xtr shifter !.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No, the only mod is with a SRAM/Shimano combo.

Buy a new cassette and shifter too!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I’ve had 2, they both broke. They also make shifting slightly harder. Good while they were working though. Got the first replaced under warranty, dont think I’ll bother with another.

At least when they break they still function as a normal mech. No noticeable jumping issues either way.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve been using an X9 short cage type 2 since Xmas, had a regular X9 up until then, it’s remarkable how much quieter they make your bike, on smooth trails or grassy bridleways there’s literally no noise from the bike.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Like agentdagnamit, mine broke, after 530kms. And it’s not that uncommon an experience apparently – see this MTBR thread.

Should add that CRC were brilliant about it, and I had a brand new one within days – no questions asked!

When they work they’re great, but the failure rate is not up to Shimano’s usual high standards…

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Northwind,

You can stick a Shimano 10-speed clutchy on a 9-speed SRAM shifter, just needs a wee spacer. Using this on 3 of my bikes, lovely.

Having just had an X9 mech damaged I’m keen to try this, could you explain where the spacer is required ?

njee20
    Free Member

Nick – you do know they have an ‘on – off’ switch!

SRAM ones don’t.

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve got an SLX clutch mech and it works very well and no problems so far – but still got chain roller fitted.

Got mine from Germany – can’t remember which German shop – HiBike I think

Northwind

PeterStarkiss – Member

Having just had an X9 mech damaged I’m keen to try this, could you explain where the spacer is required ?

No bother, there’s some info on it here:

You can use anything- I machined a wee block for convenience and neatness but I tested the idea with a wee stack of washers, that worked fine too. Works brilliantly- like OEM. To the extent that one time I was explaining to someone how it worked, then realised halfway through that I was on my one bike that uses legit 1×10 instead of modded 9.5-speed!

matther01
    Free Member

One of my favourite upgrades especially now with running NW setup. XT and SLX seem to be just as good as each other IMO.

oxym0r0n

bikediscount.de for my slx medium + cheap 10 speed chain and xt cassette, Works n/w – all been fine for 6 months

renton
    Free Member

What’s nw??

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I wondered this too. I came to the conclusion narrow wide.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

NW will be the NorthWind set up I guess.

On that front, NW thanks for the link, I’ll copy your work that’s really neat.

SLX mech ordered, bargain price on Merlin today.

duir
    Free Member

Been running the SLX clutch one medium cage for quite a while now. Absolutely no issues and makes a vast improvememnt on noise/chain slap but I have not experienced dropped chains since the 90’s so can’t comment on that. Seems like the best value for money and is proving very durable.

Not really sure what people mean about the vague, horrible Shimano feeling, my XT shifters with SLX mech have a nice firm click so you know you have changed gear.

The only real complaint is the usual Shimano complaint, why on earth do they use those philip head bolts for limiter screws? I just exchange them for allen heads to solve the issue.

cogglepin

I got an XT shadow plus from Pedalon for £42.99 incl postage.

zerocool

A medium cage SRAM X9 clutch mech has made my fairly quiet Alpine 160 silent. They’re brilliant

scunny
    Free Member

NW will be the NorthWind set up I guess

I loled. NW stands for ‘Narrow Wide”, as in: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Race-Face-Narrow-Wide-Chainring-Tested-2013.html

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Are clutch rear mechs any good?’ is closed to new replies.