• This topic has 28 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Are Chromebooks still a thing?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

My Dad’s Macbook is finally about to keel over. It’s the original black one so must be 10yrs old or so. Apple have seen to it that buying a new product from them just isn’t worth it, given his uses of just email/web/iplayer, but he is used to the simpler OS.

One idea I had was to get a Chromebook, as he uses Chrome/Gmail currently. But is it me or are they no longer really being made? Looking for something with a 13″ screen, and most the big players seem to have pulled out of the market, with no new machines being produced.

Am I right in this assumption, and I should just be looking at entry level Windows machines?

oldnpastit

There seem to be lots for sale from the usual suspects (Acer, HP, Dell, etc).

I bought one a year ago, I would still be using it but I’ve lost the charger (probably wherever I last left it, which will be the last place I look).

tthew

My android news thing regularly tells me of new machines that are in development. I think they’re moving towards being touch screen hybrid type things rather than the basic laptops they were, so you may be better off with a basic Window’s machine, there’s a good chance that’ll be cheaper too.

Weather one of those would last as long the Macbook or this 5 year old Chromebook I’m using, (performance still the same, hours of battery life) is another question.

Jamie
    Free Member

There seem to be lots for sale from the usual suspects (Acer, HP, Dell, etc).

There does? Dell seemed to have retired their 13″ model, and even the 11″ is a few years old.

If someone can link to a current gen 13″ model, it’d be appreciated. If I am buying new, would rather the latest possible version, rather than an old model. Unless it’s just the 13″ models that have been given the boot.

allthepies
    Free Member

A Chromebook sounds ideal given his usage. And yes, they’re still being made 🙂

I’m typing this reply on one of the early generation Chromebooks (Acer C720) and it’s still perfectly usable for web/email.

Lots of screen size options available too.

gobuchul
    Free Member

If you can’t get the right Chromebook, go for a netbook and put Linux Mint on it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Looking for something with a 13″ screen

😛

…but if all there is is 11″, then maybe that’ll have to work.

the-muffin-man

given his uses of just email/web/iplayer

If that’s all he uses would an iPad not be a better solution? And offers a familiar Apple system.

sharkbait
    Free Member

iPads seem pretty old hat now – we’ve got one somewhere but it never gets used.
    Phones, chromebook, iMac or MBP are the tools of choice here at the moment.

jambalaya
    Free Member

iPad’s cost double though. FWIW our two are used 95% of the time, the Mini/Mac Book only gets used for large document creation and as a media device.

Biggest issue with a Chromebook is it only works properly if you have an internet connection

Junkyard
    Free Member

great things if you never want to print or be able to open work related documents -which are password protected.

Still get 8 ish hours battery life out of mine at nearing two years old and used pretty much only on the battery

Think of them as a great tablet or a crap laptop

FWIW i still have a computer as it really wont do everything I need

Jamie
    Free Member

After a bit of googling, I am thinking the ACER CB3-431 14″ Full HD might be suitable.

Can anyone confirm they will be able to run stuff like iPlayer/ITV player/Youtube etc

He’s got an Android phone, so all pics go to Google Photos etc, so all that side of things should be ok. Assuming only downsides, might be in the build quality of a £250 machine with full HD display.

scotroutes

Can they not print to a network/cloud printer? I’ve been thinking of buying one for browsing etc but I would want occasional hardcopy

Jamie
    Free Member

Can they not print to a network/cloud printer? I’ve been thinking of buying one for browsing etc but I would want occasional hardcopy

I would be amazed if Google Cloud Print didn’t allow one to print to a suitable printer.

allthepies
    Free Member

Google print works from Chromebook (obvs you need a compatible printer).

I can use youtube, iplayer perfectly fine from mine and cast to TVs etc.

Jamie
    Free Member

Right, just bit the bullet. Ended up using PC World of all places, as they were selling the full HD/N3160 quad core version of the Acer 14 for the same price as the 1366 x 768/N3060 dual core model. Plus free delivery for tomorrow (allegedly).

Specs seem decent for £250. Nice to have an ally, rather than plastic, shell as well. Wouldn’t have minded a SD card slot, tho.

molgrips
    Free Member

They are still the best option for anyone just wanting to surf and write the odd document. Very reliable OS, due to simplicity. And for the incredible low cost you can’t go wrong.

chipster

Jamie, the quad core is coming up as £280 for me. Did you use a voucher, or has the price bounced up today? 😕

Jamie
    Free Member

Still saying £249 for me. You’re not being a flash bastard and looking at the gold one are you?

Same link as before: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-cb3-431-14-full-hd-chromebook-silver-10148244-pdt.html

…will give PCWorld their due. Chromebook arrived via DPD this morning. Not bad seeing as I ordered it on a Sunday and today is a bank holiday. Free delivery as well.

salad_dodger

That’s the dual core rather than the quad isn’t it? (hovering over the buy button at the moment)

chipster

Thanks,Jamie. I searched for the quad core, but it only came up with the gold one. 😳
    Looks like I’m following your lead.

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

it is CES this week, it maybe that a lot of them are showing out of stock, is that they are about to be refreshed. With chromebooks getting android app support, it may be worth waiting and seeing what is released this week if you can.

this is likely going to be announced.asus chromebook

and

jambalaya – Member
    Biggest issue with a Chromebook is it only works properly if you have an internet connection

Is bollocks. All google apps (gmail/docs/sheets/whatever their powerpoint thing is) work offline and can store stuff locally. most of your storage is cloud based, but you can store stuff locally.

Newer chromebooks run android apps and no one says your smartphone stops working when you drop out of signal.

g

chipster

Dammit! More choice. 😥

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

If anyone is thinking of buying a chromebook this is a handy link which shows which existing chromebooks will have google play support.

one of the biggest problems people have with chromebooks is the lack of MS office support, google play has all MS office apps within it (not exactly the same as the desktop versions but pretty close).

I wouldnt buy a chromebook now without checking it has google play support.

Jamie
    Free Member

it is CES this week, it maybe that a lot of them are showing out of stock, is that they are about to be refreshed. With chromebooks getting android app support, it may be worth waiting and seeing what is released this week if you can.

this is likely going to be announced.asus chromebook

I was aware of this, but unlike Apple, anything announced will probably take, hopefully, another couple of months to ship to the UK. Assuming all models even make it across the pond. Plus with Brexit Bonus, that Asus will be about £500.

I did double check Chromium Project’s list before buying, and the ACER CB3-431 is on there.

Edit: Actually, going off KH’s link, it looks like Android apps are imminent for the ACER CB3-431:

….plus they have a nice little review of the Acer 14.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Are Chromebooks still a thing?’ is closed to new replies.